Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times

Advertisements

Hah. I always listen to old men wisdoms and folklore. Reason being, folk comes with them based on thousands of years of (sometimes painful) experiences.
Hence the folk wisdom: All troubles in the world, are from short men. And it's not that they are arses or jerks. That's not the point. Neither was Napoleon. For what it is, he was super intelligent, well behaved, and smart person. It's that inherent male libido, haunting them down, to prove to the world (and tall guys) that THEY ARE SOMETHING.
Have living example. One of my new bosses happens to be about my nipple height. I am 6'5''. He disliked me from the day one and it took over a year of objective performance for him to change his mind. Even then, every time we are in the same room, I can feel how his entire body almost "clenches" in my presence.
French once did cute experience. They had females, blindfolded, in a chair, sitting in an empty room, back against the door. So that they could not tell, who was entering. Every time a male opened that door and walked in, their heart rate, posture and brain activity changed. So it is with short guys. It's on subconscious spine level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
OP: You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. On one hand, you say there is no such thing as "short man syndrome," then you talk about "short men" and what they think and what their experiences are - and then you label yourself "ShortDoctor." You are completely OBSESSED with being short.

Can you give it a rest and think about something else? Define yourself in some other way?

There are plenty of "short men" who are perfectly happy and are leading fulfilling lives. You can find a teeny-tiny partner if need be.

Look at Matt Roloff - I don't think he thinks of himself as short in the same way that you do - and he has actual disabilities. He's not crying and saying "poor me - I'm too short," no he is doing whatever he wants and living his life to the fullest. I think he might be a good role model for you.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 PM

52 posts, read 74,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
OP: You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. On one hand, you say there is no such thing as "short man syndrome," then you talk about "short men" and what they think and what their experiences are - and then you label yourself "ShortDoctor." You are completely OBSESSED with being short.

Can you give it a rest and think about something else? Define yourself in some other way?

There are plenty of "short men" who are perfectly happy and are leading fulfilling lives. You can find a teeny-tiny partner if need be.

Look at Matt Roloff - I don't think he thinks of himself as short in the same way that you do - and he has actual disabilities. He's not crying and saying "poor me - I'm too short," no he is doing whatever he wants and living his life to the fullest. I think he might be a good role model for you.
He has Dwarfism.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
I know that. Dwarfism is shortism . . . was just making a point that he is not a victim

Old 01-03-2013, 12:07 PM

52 posts, read 74,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I know that. Dwarfism is shortism . . . was just making a point that he is not a victim
Dwarves actually have support, short men don't.

More often than not, dwarves are treated better than short men.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
I'm a ridiculously short guy (like 5'3".) I don't think any other people who aren't completely insecure about their lives truly care that much.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortDoctor View Post
I really don't understand how that term was coined. People act like SMS is something that short guys are born with, when if a shorter guy has to act more aggressive to get an ounce of respect, he seems to act that way because of social conditioning, because people throughout life typically treat him like less of a person than average height or taller people. Basically, Short Man Syndrome doesn't exist and is just a term that is used to demean shorter males. Yet it is used commonly as if it is a scientific fact that short guys all have a "complex".

Short men have a rather unique case in modern days - It's a case of the discriminators blaming the discriminated for their discrimination. Many act like a short guy is short due to his own fault and treat him with a lack of respect accordingly. I mean if one were to tell a homosexual that it's his fault for being discriminated against for being gay and "oh well that's life", that'd be ridiculous right? But when it comes to short dudes, it's like "Oh, you're short, deal with it. You should have been tall."

I see this height obsession as worse of a problem than "fat shaming" considering weight is something that is most often under the control of the person, and if a fat person is being discriminated against because of weight they can do something about it. Personally, I feel making fun of someone for factors outside their control (race, sexuality, height, etc) is total bull****. Height is something that nobody has to work for, yet taller people are given this social privilege as if they've demonstrated some great feat stemming from their own personal ability, and short men are often treated as if they are personally to blame.

So how do all of you feel? Personally, it seems that the "Napoleon Complex" is something people who don't prefer short men use to justify it.
I think that you hit the nail on head. There is a great deal of prejudice toward the short-statured, particularly men. This prejudice seems to be a socially-acceptable prejudice in that it is literally engaged in everywhere in the World without compunction. I don't believe that it is a "Western" phenomenon; it exists everywhere. I'm certainly not condoning it, I'm just observing it and speaking out against it. The proof for its existence and the proof of how acceptable it is, is very obvious. One obvious proof is the thousands of Twitter posts by young women not only expressing their preference for Taller or Tall men, but the outright hate of most of those comments. Some of those comments by these young women call for the murder and literal genocide of short men. I don't believe you could find hate similar to this on any mainstream site against any other group. I don't believe you could find comments anywhere near as hateful against any other group anywhere on the Internet and I personally challenge anyone to find any. And the free and easy way that these hate comments are made are proof positive of the acceptability of heightism against short men. That's one proof. Another proof is the cavalier attitude of the media toward discrimination against short men. Short men are also demeaned in TV commercials with no restraint on the part of the advertisers, a Honda commercial that aired way back in 2001, that I have displayed on my website - [URL="http://www.supportfortheshort.org"]Heightism against Short People[/URL] - is a perfect example of this. It is my understanding that the phrase "Napoleon Complex" was coined by the psychologist Alfred Adler. There is no other negative personality "complex" named after any other group of people by any psychologist ANYWHERE, based on any other physical trait as far as I know. This so-called "complex" has no basis in scientific fact, was not based on any empirical evidence, or any double-blind studies either. The ease with which someone can label an entire group of people like this without the slightest bit of evidence is also another proof-positive of the incredible ease with which short-statured men can be labeled without the slightest bit of uproar coming from either society or short men themselves. Still another proof-positive of the ease with which someone, anyone, can wantonly disparage short men and short people in general is the song "Short People" written and sung by Randy Newman back in 1977. It doesn't take a Mensa to know that a similar song written on the basis of race, religion, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, obesity, etc. would be met with a literal uproar with the career of the artist coming to quick end. (Newman, who in my opinion is a mediocre singer, was recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame) Short men and short people in general tolerate all of this, and until they decide not to, it will continue; as a matter of fact it is getting worse. People look for groups that they can discriminate against, and with the unavailability of acceptable prejudice toward so many groups today, short men are becoming more and more targeted, simply because people know that they can get away with it.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,033 times
Funny thing about this is, that Napoleon was actually higher than the 19.th century average.
There is a great article on the subject: [url]http://www.historyrundown.com/was-napoleon-bonaparte-really-so-short/[/url]

Old 03-25-2014, 09:34 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Napolean wasn't even short, especially during the time period in which he lived. He was average height.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology