Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 03:48 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,721 times

Advertisements

If you're a family member of a "rescuer".... who's actions are putting her own well-being at risk.... what can one do to intervene? Other than the discussions/talks that aren't heeded and haven't been heeded for years.

The only things I can think of that we haven't tried, is supplying her with books that could possibly help, or trying to find a minister/social worker/police officer (authority figure) to tell her straight out that she's not making good choices.

Counseling/therapy would be a gift from God, but the chances of getting her into any kind of counseling relationship or family therapy (+ the obstacles of paying for it) are pretty poor.

If you know of some book titles, please share.

Family is supportive, but we're not close enough in distance to be as involved as we would like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 05:14 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times
Obviously people are attracted to mentalcases. Hitler, Stalin, the Tea Party etc. People like interesting different people, especially weak willed somewhat simple people.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:41 PM

207 posts, read 445,494 times
Also if you are always concentrating on fixing someone else...then you don't have to face fixing yourself by addressing your own issues. The other person becomes a big distraction. When you're with someone stable you have time to focus on yourself. Also if you have low self esteem you may not feel that you deserve someone better than that person...but you do! I spent 10 years with a toxic person and spent so much time focusing on him that I didn't grow as a person. Then I met my husband and I've grown because he's so stable that I am not in crisis mode all the time.

It's not the toxic person that is the magnet...it is you...you are sending the signals that let a toxic person know that you accept that behavior. When you stop accepting it, you will see these people coming from a mile away and run in the opposite direction.
s

Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
People who love drama are attracted to drama queens.

I find this whole group of people annoying and tiresome.

But there are plenty of them out there.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:30 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
For some reason, I seem to be drawn to men who are either depressed, suicidal or have suffered a loss. Their helplessness, tears and/or pain pulls me in, and I find myself wanting to rescue them. I've even fallen more in love during a crisis. It's baffling.
Apparently, I'm a magnet... for perverts. (I'm emotionally unstable and I suffer from paranoia)

Old 07-14-2012, 11:34 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
For some reason, I seem to be drawn to men who are either depressed, suicidal or have suffered a loss. Their helplessness, tears and/or pain pulls me in, and I find myself wanting to rescue them. I've even fallen more in love during a crisis. It's baffling.
Its codependency, they think they have superpowers.

Last edited by virgode; 07-14-2012 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 PM

588 posts, read 957,566 times
Thanks for the great advice. I'm an Aries, BTW. But I'm on the cusp of Pisces and have more of those characteristics (romantic, dreamer). LargeKingCat, I'm getting that book [Toxic Men] tomorrow

Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
People who love drama are attracted to drama queens.

I find this whole group of people annoying and tiresome.

But there are plenty of them out there.
yes, brooding and "troubled" is cool when you're 23...a decade later, or more, not so much...btdt!

Time becomes more valuable.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Manson;But then it was to other disturbed people only.Hitler seemed to attact alot of what was thought of as very western civilized people.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:27 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,836,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
If you're a family member of a "rescuer".... who's actions are putting her own well-being at risk.... what can one do to intervene? Other than the discussions/talks that aren't heeded and haven't been heeded for years.

The only things I can think of that we haven't tried, is supplying her with books that could possibly help, or trying to find a minister/social worker/police officer (authority figure) to tell her straight out that she's not making good choices.

Counseling/therapy would be a gift from God, but the chances of getting her into any kind of counseling relationship or family therapy (+ the obstacles of paying for it) are pretty poor.

If you know of some book titles, please share.

Family is supportive, but we're not close enough in distance to be as involved as we would like.
Co-dependent No More by Melodie Beattie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology