Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:10 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

I'm firmly convinced a "closeted" alcoholic/drug addict can project their addictions onto others. Thru some painful soul-searching, after being involved with 3 alcoholics in a row, I finally came to the awareness there's an alcoholic/drug addict sitting inside me 7 feet tall! With projection, you get to see a movie everyday of your repressed self/desires. Bring out the popcorn! And there you are with a constant finger pointed at your source of anger/frustration. And you know the saying: point a finger, and there's 4 fingers pointed at yourself!

No need to see a psychiatrist to get in touch your unconcscious mind, there's a loaded question which can easily save you a trip to a psychiatrist: What is it you dislike the most about others? Freud would open up a session with a client with that question! Open your mouth, stupid enough to answer that question honestly, and there you are sitting in a locked cage!

Be on guard for those you are courting and they slip and say: I hate cheaters, I hate people who get violent, I hate atheists, I hate Communists, I hate parasites who are feasting on welfare, or I hate people who pick their noses!

Stick around long enough, and you'll see it all unravel! And if you're sadistic enough, remind that person what they said some/long time ago! Watch their faces turn red!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 03:05 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm firmly convinced a "closeted" alcoholic/drug addict can project their addictions onto others. Thru some painful soul-searching, after being involved with 3 alcoholics in a row, I finally came to the awareness there's an alcoholic/drug addict sitting inside me 7 feet tall! With projection, you get to see a movie everyday of your repressed self/desires. Bring out the popcorn! And there you are with a constant finger pointed at your source of anger/frustration. And you know the saying: point a finger, and there's 4 fingers pointed at yourself!

No need to see a psychiatrist to get in touch your unconcscious mind, there's a loaded question which can easily save you a trip to a psychiatrist: What is it you dislike the most about others? Freud would open up a session with a client with that question! Open your mouth, stupid enough to answer that question honestly, and there you are sitting in a locked cage!

Be on guard for those you are courting and they slip and say: I hate cheaters, I hate people who get violent, I hate atheists, I hate Communists, I hate parasites who are feasting on welfare, or I hate people who pick their noses!

Stick around long enough, and you'll see it all unravel! And if you're sadistic enough, remind that person what they said some/long time ago! Watch their faces turn red!
I think the alcoholic/codependent thing is more of a case of the rocks in your head match the holes in his. I drank/partied/gambled right along with my addicted-to-everything-but-work husband, but I never became addicted to anything myself.

But I LOOOOVE the rest of your post. So true. The people that annoy me most are those who are always seeking attention...yet why did I choose a delusionally grandiose screen name?

Other than the fact that I tried to get my daughter to call me that when she was little. (And she refused!)

Old 07-31-2012, 12:24 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,787 times
Hmm, someone asking if you're mad could be they need reassurance you're not mad. It could be a result of walking on eggshells in their earlier life. My mother would often irrationally lash out at me and rage at me when I was a kid. So I'm hypersensitive to doing something wrong or angering people. I don't like flying, not because I'm afraid to fly (other than a brief while after 9/11), but because I'm afraid I'll do something wrong at the ticket counter or the security line and people will get mad at me. I know it's irrational, but I get anxious enough about it to have palpitations/sweat/tremble. Which of course makes me fear the TSA is going to find my behavior suspicious and think I'm a terrorist, lol!

Accusations are often projection though. For example, my mother accused me of being controlling when I told her if she started getting nasty with me (something she'd do in phone conversations when I was in my 20s/30s/40s), I would end the call and hang up.

Yet she was the one who was controlling. She got annoyed with my even suggesting I stay at a hotel/rent a car during visits to her. She wanted me staying at her home, with no access to a car so I couldn't easily get away when she started making snide comments/screaming at me. The sad thing is I went along with this for decades. Even when I finally got my own hotel room/rental car during the last visit near her home, she got angry with my choice of breakfast (which I got and paid for myself, etc.) She also raged at me for using the "wrong" cell phone (mine, not hers) to call a nail salon for directions when we got lost. I'd foolishly gone with her in her car instead of taking my own because I figured she knew the area better. That's some pretty serious control freak behavior right there.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
You are hilarious!! That is so true, though. I'm an aspiring author, and my friend keeps coming up with negative scenarios like, "What if your book doesn't sell? It is about race, a sensitive subject." Or "How are you going to pay the bills if you get sick with no insurance?" when I was thinking of changing to a self-employed status. But these were things she was terrified of, as she's been at the same job for so many years and has pretty much led a stable life...nothing at all wrong with that, however; she's the smart one when it comes to stability
As for insurance, do you belong to a writers' guild or union or something like that? Sometimes they offer insurance and since they're insuring as a group, it can be cheaper than buying insurance as an individual. Might be worth looking into if you haven't already.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:21 AM

588 posts, read 957,566 times
Exscapegoat, what a sad, sad story. I'm sorry your mother has treated you so horribly!! I can relate to walking on eggshells around certain people. And I'm sure some have done the same around me. Life is hard sometimes, trying to overcome our childhoods or just learning how to get along with different types. Well, you seem to be strong & independent despite her mistreatment. That's awesome to have overcome those experiences.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Exscapegoat, what a sad, sad story. I'm sorry your mother has treated you so horribly!! I can relate to walking on eggshells around certain people. And I'm sure some have done the same around me. Life is hard sometimes, trying to overcome our childhoods or just learning how to get along with different types. Well, you seem to be strong & independent despite her mistreatment. That's awesome to have overcome those experiences.
Thanks Mia! I have some anxiety, but I'm working with a psychologist for talk therapy and a psychiatrist (combo of checking in, his recommending books on the topic and as needed medication). It's helping a lot. I find I need less reassurance as I make more progress.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Projection often comes from bitter, insecure, and/or broken people. Deep down they are miserable and they want to drag you and everyone else down with them.

In the case of your friend, perhaps she was trying to get you to think of some of the pitfalls of being a writer. She may not have meant any harm. Some people aren't prone to taking risks or chasing dreams. They have a very practical mindset and choose to play it safe and they look at the glass as half empty while you see it half full.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:41 PM

588 posts, read 957,566 times
Gotcha! Yeah, her life is stable but she's revealed to me a while ago that she wants to open her own business one day & she seems a bit sad about some of her choices. Guess I need to be a little more empathetic sometimes

Old 08-01-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Gotcha! Yeah, her life is stable but she's revealed to me a while ago that she wants to open her own business one day & she seems a bit sad about some of her choices. Guess I need to be a little more empathetic sometimes
Well in that case, it sounds like she could be projecting her fears upon you. Or looking for reassurance by hearing your answers to the concerns working on one's own brings. It could also be sour grapes/jealousy.

I admire people who follow their dreams and just go out there on their own. I don't have enough self-discipline or organizational skills to do it. But I'll freely admit to that and if I really wanted to be out on my own, I'd buckle down and develop the resources I needed. A lot of people have a hard time taking that kind of truthful look at themselves, so it's easier for them to take swipes at the person who's working for what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology