Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 05:52 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times

Advertisements

When you are the type of introvert that people have just got to be around, at some point, you get drained. The funny thing is that I get drained before I even realize it. All of a sudden, I have done nothing that I have set out to do.

Sometimes, I have to learn to set limits, at the same time, I also have a good friend that I get along really well with, and that means a lot to me. Unfortunately, I have bills coming up. I need to quit slacking.

I guess I'm just venting. LOL!

"Come on, I'm an introvert, I'm supposed to be a desperate lonely loser." LOL!!! (j/k)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 05:56 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,456 times
I find social situations very draining, more draining than being at work. I do try, but after an hour or so I'm completely burnt out and desperate to retreat to the safety of my cave.

Most people unwind by going out and having fun with friends. That doesn't work for me and being the way I am has caused people to get pissed off at me, or I've even lost friendships over it.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:25 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
To be honest, I like going out to party, but after I have achieved what I set out to do. When it interferes with my work, then it can be a problem.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:51 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
i like to be around people under my circumstances. for as long as I want and when I want. otherwise I do not like it. usually bail on most situations and go off by myself again, just do not enjoy their company for long periods of time like I noticed other people do.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
i like to be around people under my circumstances. for as long as I want and when I want. otherwise I do not like it. usually bail on most situations and go off by myself again, just do not enjoy their company for long periods of time like I noticed other people do.
I'm exactly the same way. I can deal with it for a certain amount of time, then I need to jump ship & bail. When I go out, I need to have an "exit" planned, even if that involves me having to lie though my teeth to get out of the situation.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I'm exactly the same way. I can deal with it for a certain amount of time, then I need to jump ship & bail. When I go out, I need to have an "exit" planned, even if that involves me having to lie though my teeth to get out of the situation.

lol. when then obviously something is 'wrong' with us since everyone else seems to carry on about socializing being the cat's pajamas.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
lol. when then obviously something is 'wrong' with us since everyone else seems to carry on about socializing being the cat's pajamas.
I've been told that too - that something is wrong for me for not wanting to hang out with friends. An introverted person doesn't unwind by doing that like an extroverted person would. In my case, it winds me up and stresses me out, so I need time alone to unwind from being forced to be around others. I've lost friends over it, though I'm way past giving a ****e about what "others" think of me. If they want to ASSume that I'm just being purposely rude or antisocial, that's their problem. The couple of true friends I have know better than that and would never try to guilt trip me into doing something that makes me uncomfortable or even terrified.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,965,034 times
Default all of the above

I recently discovered a book entitled Quiet! by Susan Cain. The book traces the beginnings of the "cult of personality" after World War II with the Dale Carnegie courses and goes on to explain how introverts are de-valued and even persecuted in society. Growing up and coming of age introverted is especially difficult in a chattering world where the loud and the brash are given all the credit and introverted people are seen as dangerous and deficient.

After years of being invited to and attending parties and loud bars and crowded restaurants, I began to realize I simply wasn't happy "putting myself out there" and listening to other people brag about whatever they were doing at the moment. I asked myself "what I would rather do?" the answer most of the time was "I don't want to go anywhere or do anything where large crowds are involved". I began to decline most all invitations and actually realized I was much happier staying home alone or with trusted friends or family.

I recommend this book (Quiet) and also the Dale Carnegie tomes to understand how extroverts think and how to deal with them.

You will find this cat at home in my pajamas, reading and thinking and away from the crazy-making white noise cacophony of the social world.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:43 AM

588 posts, read 957,743 times
Aww, this is so sad!! No, really!!!! I'm an extrovert but not the type that forces introverts to listen as I go on and on...I do love the spotlight; however, I like quiet time too. Most of my friends are introverts and I have to say that I always try to respect their need for space. dragonborn, I am so sorry you've lost friends over this; how can people get mad at you for just being you?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:48 AM

588 posts, read 957,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
When you are the type of introvert that people have just got to be around, at some point, you get drained. The funny thing is that I get drained before I even realize it. All of a sudden, I have done nothing that I have set out to do.

Sometimes, I have to learn to set limits, at the same time, I also have a good friend that I get along really well with, and that means a lot to me. Unfortunately, I have bills coming up. I need to quit slacking.

I guess I'm just venting. LOL!

"Come on, I'm an introvert, I'm supposed to be a desperate lonely loser." LOL!!! (j/k)
Although I'm an extrovert, I too get drained when hanging out with certain types of extroverts (especially my family). I also don't like partying all the time, but when I find myself at a gathering, yes, I have to admit I like mingling and getting to know everyone.
Does anyone here think there are different types of extroverts/introverts? Like subcategories or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology