Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:14 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,392,038 times

Advertisements

By the time I went to college, I met some students whose parents were alcoholics. In the workforce, I befriended a few people with such parents. I once went on an arranged date with a girl whose father was an alcoholic.

They were all quirky, kind of "shut down," and some claimed how it affected them negatively. The guys with alcoholic parents went on to be alcoholics, both of whom were awesomely incisive and perceptive guys when sober.

The question: Why should a parent who rambles like an idiot or is just plain "checked out" deemed to be such a negative in someone's life? I would imagine a parent who is actively abusive (name calling, violent, and ESPECIALLY sexually inappropriate) would be far worse. Yet, these people whose parents were alcoholics just mentioned that the parent(s) was/were "out of it" and blitzed most of the time. Why is ACOA and AA and whatnot at the very forefront of recovery efforts for offspring of alcoholics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 AM

936 posts, read 2,062,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
By the time I went to college, I met some students whose parents were alcoholics. In the workforce, I befriended a few people with such parents. I once went on an arranged date with a girl whose father was an alcoholic.

They were all quirky, kind of "shut down," and some claimed how it affected them negatively. The guys with alcoholic parents went on to be alcoholics, both of whom were awesomely incisive and perceptive guys when sober.

The question: Why should a parent who rambles like an idiot or is just plain "checked out" deemed to be such a negative in someone's life? I would imagine a parent who is actively abusive (name calling, violent, and ESPECIALLY sexually inappropriate) would be far worse. Yet, these people whose parents were alcoholics just mentioned that the parent(s) was/were "out of it" and blitzed most of the time. Why is ACOA and AA and whatnot at the very forefront of recovery efforts for offspring of alcoholics?
That's some mighty fine trollin', there, Tex. We are truly in the presence of trolling greatness.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,333,435 times
Here is a website: Welcome to Adult Children of Alcoholics - World Service Organization, Inc. based on an excellent book I read in my early 20s. It perfectly defined why I was who I was because of my alcoholic father and enabling mother. This is the book: Adult Children of Alcoholics: Janet G. Woititz: 9781558741126: Amazon.com: Books

I highly suggest you at least peruse the site and if you still have questions, read the book. It's a quick easy read but it will explain why ACoAs share so many of the same personality traits and issues. If you are serious about wanting to know about these things, I will be happy to share my experiences with you.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
That's some mighty fine trollin', there, Tex. We are truly in the presence of trolling greatness.
Sorry if you've always got a chip. Must have struck a chord.

Yeah, I actually want to know why a parent who drinks is as bad as a parent who physically or sexually abuses their child!

Thank you. Have a nice day, too.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,299,129 times
Well there would be degrees of abuse for anything ranging from a little to a lot. Also you can include "mental abuse".

So in some cases one would be worse than the other (alcohol vs other types). In other cases the opposite.

And yet another form of abuse could be "inattention" or "not being there". An alcoholic might spend their time drinking instead of paying attention to the kid. Here is a bit on that...
Mental Health: Reactive Attachment Disorder

Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,898,044 times
You have to ask why a neglectful or emotionally unavailable parents would have such a negative impact on their children? Seriously?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I actually want to know why a parent who drinks is as bad as a parent who physically or sexually abuses their child!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You have to ask why a neglectful or emotionally unavailable parents would have such a negative impact on their children? Seriously?
No, he doesn't. He just wants to stir the pot by getting two groups of people who have been hurt to fight over who has been hurt more.

Let's not feed this troll anymore.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,333,435 times
Quote:

Read the book and site I posted. Those should help you understand. A lot of the same issues that arise from physical/sexual abuse happen in alcohol-induced dysfunction too.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I knew a girl in college. Every time I went to her house, her Dad was blitzed. At the time, I had never known alcoholics, so I just thought he was a rambunctious talkative Southern curmudgeon. I figured it out later, in my mid-20s, that he was an alcoholic. She earned a 3.7 in biology and everything ran pretty well in her life. She did reneg on med school because she didn't want that level of commitment, and wound up unfortunately marrying a guy cut from her Dad's cloth. Incidentally, her Dad died in his early 60s.

I know people who are much worse off as a result of ACTIVE as opposed to PASSIVE abuse. I'm not looking to read books, here. A paragraph or two will do.

Troll??? With as many threads/posts as I've made, doubtful. Also, if you don't like the topic, then don't "check in," ok? There have been way more heavy-duty and disturbing topics on Psych. than this one.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I knew a girl in college. Every time I went to her house, her Dad was blitzed. At the time, I had never known alcoholics, so I just thought he was a rambunctious talkative Southern curmudgeon. I figured it out later, in my mid-20s, that he was an alcoholic. She earned a 3.7 in biology and everything ran pretty well in her life. She did reneg on med school because she didn't want that level of commitment, and wound up unfortunately marrying a guy cut from her Dad's cloth. Incidentally, her Dad died in his early 60s.

I know people who are much worse off as a result of ACTIVE as opposed to PASSIVE abuse. I'm not looking to read books, here. A paragraph or two will do.

Troll??? With as many threads/posts as I've made, doubtful. Also, if you don't like the topic, then don't "check in," ok? There have been way more heavy-duty and disturbing topics on Psych. than this one.
And yet here you are trolling. The number of threads you've made is irrelevant. This one is trolling, plain and simple.

Magritte25's books are good references...if you were really interested in getting an answer as to how/why ACOAs can be messed up. But you're not. Trying to compare the pain of two different groups of maltreated people is not only meaningless, but bound to cause nothing but trouble. And you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology