Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times

Advertisements

Also, I believe you stated that you had a goal of meeting more people and having more of a social life perhaps? If I remember right?

Well, involving others in your goals of learning the guitar and exercising would be a good idea, with multiple benefits...you might perhaps even look for a guitar class at a local college, or groups of people who hike or bike together. Make contact, commit yourself, and DO IT! The motivation only comes when you have made things a part of your routine, empowered yourself, and stopped giving yourself excuses and justifications to sit around your home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 04:40 PM

206 posts, read 269,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I find that on my most productive days, I wake up early and start doing and simply do not stop. If I stop, take a break, look at my Facebook, turn on the TV or open up a book I'm reading...I won't get back up and moving again. So if I have a lot to do, I just don't give myself the chance.

If there are specific things I MUST do that day, I might spend time leading up to the day planning it, making a list. Wake up, brew coffee, and carry my coffee cup around as I do this, that and the other thing. Don't think too far ahead, just put one foot in front of the other.

Also it seems easier for me to build good routines early in the morning. Every day I straighten my bed (not perfect, but the covers are pulled straight) and then fold laundry on it and put it away, do any other housework I can see that needs doing, and basically busy about until a specific time (6:30) when I have to stop and get ready for work. I'm up by 5AM doing this. It feels amazing to start the day empowered by exerting some control over things that need done.

I know that many other people go walking or jogging early in the morning, too. I think there is just something about being active at a ridiculously early hour...

Or you may need accountability. You might actually need another person to answer to, someone who will call on you and take the lead in activities like this. First of all, I'd suggest you actually pay someone for guitar lessons. Yes you could teach yourself online for free. But you won't! If you have someone expecting you to show up and learn, that might change things. And there is a reason that the world has personal trainers who are paid to motivate individuals to exercise. Not everyone is a self-starter.
I'm a night owl. Mornings suck. That said, I think the gist of this is "Don't think, do. Gogogogogo." That's a good concept, and one that somebody with a tendency to overthink things has a hard time following. It does make sense though. Get something rolling, and then inertia is working for you instead of against you. I will certainly try to implement this going forward.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,143 times
An object in motion tends to stay in motion...

Old 12-07-2012, 03:12 PM

101 posts, read 249,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needanamethatisnttaken View Post
Short version - I have no intrinsic motivation. Looking for ways to remedy that.

I've thought that perhaps I don't want these things badly enough. But if that's the case, I don't really want much of anything, and that's a problem in itself.

Thoughts?
You're too bored, maybe even depressed. I also get that way when I lack sleep. Sleep 8 hours a day and drink lots of water--that always energizes me and makes me wanna go out/hit the gym/run/cook/shop.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
Short version - I have no intrinsic motivation. Looking for ways to remedy that.

Long version - I can't seem to do things that I want to do. For example, I want to get in shape. I know how to get in shape. There's really nothing stopping me from doing it. Yet I don't do it. I skip workouts and eat bad food.

I want to learn to play the guitar. I have a guitar, I have plenty of instructional material on the internet. Yet I don't learn. I don't practice for weeks at a time.

I want to expand my social network. I know I could do this by volunteering or striking up conversations in places I already go. But I don't. I stay home and don't work out and don't play guitar.

My job is really the only thing I put a modicum of effort into, and that's because I want more money to buy more stuff for more hobbies that I probably won't pursue unless I can overcome this lack of motivation.

I've thought that perhaps I don't want these things badly enough. But if that's the case, I don't really want much of anything, and that's a problem in itself.

Thoughts?
When you say you "WANT TO." what exactly do you mean?

I think that is the problem.

You may 'WANT" to do other things more. You might value doing other things more or doing nothing more . . .

Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Another thing you might consider is the introvert/extrovert dichotomy. extroverts get their energy form being around people. Introverts get their energy from having quiet time alone. If you are spending too much time in a situation opposite to your personality type it may be draining you.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 687 times
Hi my Name is Matthias.

I just wrote an interesting article on how the law of attraction can help you to find your love.

I thought it might be interesting and helpful for you.

You can find it here:

[url=http://www.usethelawofattractiontofindyourlove.blogspot.d e/2013_10_01_archive.html]use the law of atraction to find your love: October 2013[/url]

Check it out and let me know what you think about it.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:01 PM

28 posts, read 30,073 times
Just my 2 cents from a book that I've read a while back. It's called the Power of Habit btw. Start with exercise which is believed to be a "keystone habit" that will trigger other healthy activities in your lifestyle. By exercising, you'll have more energy. And with more energy, you'll be able to do other things. Do one small thing a day. It BUILDS UP. Celebrate the small steps. For example, do 1 set of 15 pushups today. That's all. Keep it up and slowly increase the activity. Once you feel you are comfortable, then integrate a workout plan or hit the gym. I like to watch TV (a lot) and what I decided to do is remove my couch to the side where the angle is bad. So what I did before was stand and watch TV and do some full body workouts during commercials.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:19 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
Quote:

Long version - I can't seem to do things that I want to do. For example, I want to get in shape. I know how to get in shape. There's really nothing stopping me from doing it. Yet I don't do it. I skip workouts and eat bad food.

I want to learn to play the guitar. I have a guitar, I have plenty of instructional material on the internet. Yet I don't learn. I don't practice for weeks at a time.

I want to expand my social network. I know I could do this by volunteering or striking up conversations in places I already go. But I don't. I stay home and don't work out and don't play guitar.

My job is really the only thing I put a modicum of effort into, and that's because I want more money to buy more stuff for more hobbies that I probably won't pursue unless I can overcome this lack of motivation.

Thoughts?

I think that yes, you don't want those things bad enough. It's like saying: I want to marry that woman because I have no one else and no prospects. If we get married in two years, so what? I don't care. But I want to get married some day. So may as well marry her.

You probably just think: it would be nice to do such and such.... And you probably think that way because you are copying other people around you and their ideas. It's other people that want to get in shape. YOU don't really want to. You just think that you should, based on other people's opinions.

YOU just probably want to eat bad food and not care about the weight. But there are consequences. So you're thinking: I better do that to avoid consequences.

But, there is no motivator. If you met someone you were crazy about, then that would have been a motivator for you to get into shape (for example).

So, I think that you just have to find something YOU like (instead of seeing what other people do and saying: yeah, it sounds nice, maybe I should do that too). It's not easy. Because our brain only processes things we see others do. But I am just saying that I think that the great motivator is missing because you didn't yet find something YOU truly want to do.

I suffer from lack of will power as well. And sometimes I have too little energy and in those times I don't even want to do things I usually like to do.

When the body doesn't have enough energy, it probably knows that it shouldn't be sending you desires to do things (since you don't have the energy to do it, since it would be counterproductive). So maybe your energy levels are low. Mine were too low all the time. Drinking more water helped a lot. But still not enough to make me want to run and do all kinds of things.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:08 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Well..I can't figure why that has to be a problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology