Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Wow.
Thank you, Huckleberry and Mokan, for saying this.
I will remember this phrase too. "Confidence trumps substance."

So true. It's been bugging me a while as to why me, a talented person, has to fight so hard for recognition in a creative field I'm in. While another creative person I'm around has considerably less talent but gets complimented more.

She's essentially, well... some may consider her a loser in her personal life. Leeches off her parents, for one thing. Bragged about buying an expensive book on e-bay just recently. (Yeah we could all pay $200 for a book if we didn't have rent to pay.) But she receives respect and acceptance.

It's her confidence and calm that make her attractive.
Kind of a Law of Attraction thing really. If people believe they are deserving of respect, they'll receive it.

If they feel they have to fight for it and brood over not having it, second-guess themselves, give off annoyed/discouraged vibes (like me)... well guess what? LOL All the talent in the world won't matter.

My talent IS noticed, btw. But it's one of those situations where they ignore it. Pretend not to notice, etc. Hurtful.
This thread isn't really about attention going to undeserving people. It's about envying other people's confidence instead of developing your own. You have as much power to shine as she does but an artist with low confidence will not do very well in this super competitive environment. Refocus on rooting out the reasons for your insecurity and leave her to her devices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 04:20 PM

652 posts, read 873,548 times
The simple answer is mind control. There is technology that is invisible which makes people admire or say things about individuals totally undeserving of any positive energy or accolades.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
The simple answer is mind control. There is technology that is invisible which makes people admire or say things about individuals totally undeserving of any positive energy or accolades.
Your comment goes well with your Username.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:08 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
The question the op is asking basically boils down to this: Why are some people's opinions different than other people's opinions?

You think someone is worthless and a criminal, etc...someone else may not see anything wrong with their behavior.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:44 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
OP: you mean like the freaks that write to prison inmates?

Old 12-11-2012, 09:33 AM

666 posts, read 1,290,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
It depends. Remember not all prison inmates are criminals or at least horrendous criminals. But obviously anyone who has done something evil and feels no regret.

I can't and I am afraid will never be able to fully understand why some people follow evil people... perhaps is because most humans are inherently evil, I don't know... but not all humans are evil anyway

Old 12-12-2012, 02:29 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
It depends. Remember not all prison inmates are criminals or at least horrendous criminals. But obviously anyone who has done something evil and feels no regret.

I can't and I am afraid will never be able to fully understand why some people follow evil people... perhaps is because most humans are inherently evil, I don't know... but not all humans are evil anyway
Some people are outright evil and know it and still don't care. Others are warped in the head and believe that the evil deeds they do is actually for a good cause or that the deeds themselves are good. Extremists of any kind are one example of this.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
I started a thread here a while ago about "confidence" and its redefinition in popular culture to more of the meaning that "self-assertiveness" or "swagger" used to carry. Thanks to something (rap music?), "swagger" is considered an admirable trait in itself today.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Wow.
I will remember this phrase too. "Confidence trumps substance."

So true. It's been bugging me a while as to why me, a talented person, has to fight so hard for recognition in a creative field I'm in. While another creative person I'm around has considerably less talent but gets complimented more.

It's her confidence and calm that make her attractive.
Kind of a Law of Attraction thing really. If people believe they are deserving of respect, they'll receive it.

If they feel they have to fight for it and brood over not having it, second-guess themselves, give off annoyed/discouraged vibes (like me)... well guess what? LOL All the talent in the world won't matter.
So you are saying: Fake it till you make it.

I have seen this professionally, and to this day it still irks me. haha.
I think it irks me 50/50.... 50% cause she didn't know what she was doing, but was still successful to the GM and president of the company we worked for, and 50% irked cause I didn't figure out how to fake it well enough to convince the GM and president I was successful. haha

Old 12-19-2012, 02:02 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
And, worse yet, you could meet someone via the Internet, or a penpal, who's too brilliant of a criminal to get caught! According to Ann Rule, true crime writer, perfect crimes are committed everyday in this country by the smartest of the smartest!

Confidence and charm have tripped up too many people in this world, and I have neither! And the world is a safer place as a result of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology