Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 02:34 AM

24,155 posts, read 32,586,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
There was quite a debate over this DX for the past 2-3 years.

It will stay in the DSM 5

From what I am reading the DSM 5 will be interesting

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/he...mind.html?_r=0

Glad to hear that they are not removing it from the DSMV. Even if the did, it would not negate the fact that it exists.

I think anything that Freud wrote extensively about has been somewhat discredited in the past 30 years.
And that's too bad.

Oddly enough there has been a spate of books about this subject, mostly not academic in nature, but still credible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 03:55 AM

24,155 posts, read 32,586,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
My mother suffers from severe, extreme Narcissistic personality disorder.

There are quite a few books out there discussing this. A few of my favorites are:

Drew Pinsky and S. Mark Young co-authored 'The Mirror Effect,'

Elan Golomb wrote, 'Trapped in the Mirror: Adult Children of Narcissists in their Struggle for Self'

Ph.D, Karyl McBride, 'Will I ever Be Good Enough- Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers".

All 3 are excellent. However, Karyl McBride has a FB private group, page, and support page.
I agree. All of these are very good. Here are a few more -

Vaknim, Sam, "Malignant Self Love"

Kohut, Heinz, "Analysis of Self" - Kohut is the "father" of self psychology, and he coined and defined the phenomenon of narcissistic rage, which put simply is the highly unpleasant way that a narcissist behaves when he perceives himself the recipient of a narcissistic attack.

Harris, Jay E. MD "How the Brain Talks to Itself" Very readable, deals with the aftermath of trauma, abuse and rejection as well as narcissism.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,165,861 times
Thank you for adding in the other books on narcissistic personality disorder.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:34 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,786,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree. All of these are very good. Here are a few more -

Vaknim, Sam, "Malignant Self Love"

Kohut, Heinz, "Analysis of Self" - Kohut is the "father" of self psychology, and he coined and defined the phenomenon of narcissistic rage, which put simply is the highly unpleasant way that a narcissist behaves when he perceives himself the recipient of a narcissistic attack.

Harris, Jay E. MD "How the Brain Talks to Itself" Very readable, deals with the aftermath of trauma, abuse and rejection as well as narcissism.
thankyou, i might pick up a few of these

Old 01-06-2013, 08:24 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,035,500 times
My father and sister both have NPD. Sigh. I remember when I took my psychology class in high school and we read about it. It was the biggest revelation ever about my father. I just remember thinking the whole time, "Check, check, check, check!"

Old 01-06-2013, 08:49 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,415,797 times
I wonder how narcissistic all people are, including myself. I am self-absorbed, but that's a function of spending a lot of time on my own. Mostly, it's to create a shield from people who can predictably have a negative impact on my life. I have traveled and met some interesting people, changing my plans to accommodate or include these people, when I had planned on being alone, though this doesn't usually happen. Also, I feel empathy for people who are capable of empathy. For people who are generally mean-spirited, I don't have much empathy. I think it's wasted. To me, the hallmark of narcissism is the feeding of one's own well-being and status, and not considering the impact on others in the process. A sense of entitlement is another key hallmark of narcissism. I don't have the diagnostic list at hand. In essence, I equate narcissism with Machiavellian behavior, for the most part.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 AM

Someone mentioned something about narcissistic people getting very emotional about tragic things happening to strangers, this person does that. Her FB page is all about people she doesn't know getting cancer and she constantly posts about it, then joins cancer groups. She seems very genuine on Fb, her Fb contacts that actually respond to her are people she met in a chatroom, they don't know her personally. The people that do know her personally hardly ever respond to her, because they know what a wicked, nasty, person she really is.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 AM

7,604 posts, read 6,110,858 times
Scary, because it is so common and so many people have a few of the traits. Not enough to meet diagnosis criteria perhaps according to the DSM, But enough to impede personal happiness and relationships anyway.

There is a discussion going on over in the Buddhism forum about Narcissism. I have wondered for years how much of it is aggrevated by American style religions. Growing up in a very religious household, I witnessed way too many unhealthy personality traits, both by parents and by their friends. I wonder how much of this was aggrevated by their religious convictions or addictions ?

Old 01-07-2013, 12:23 PM

My problem with this person, is that she's starting to affect my life and i'm not liking it. She can be as narcissistic as she wants, just want her to leave me out of it.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,477,888 times
Have mentioned elsewhere before, that I was married to an NPD/BPD (clinically diagnosed), and have since found the whole subject to be very fascinating, not least of all because IMO, it's actually becoming pretty commonplace in today's culture. And surrounded as we are with so many of what is basically a ''predatory'' personality type, it's probably not a bad idea to become familiar with some of these recurring ''denizens'' of the modern ''jungle''.

So I find perhaps their most obvious traits to be an obsessive need for control of everything and everyone around them, along with an extreme sensitivity to any perceived criticism. Also agreed that we all have some degree of narcissism and self-interest, which we need to survive, but the true NPD types significantly lack any sense of empathy or ability to recognize any feelings outside their own. So forget the notion of ''reciprocity'', compromise, dialogue, caring, emotional support or any of the things that define a normal human relationship... unless it somehow serves their needs & purposes!

And they're not necessarily always ''bad people'', but their sense of self is always so 'artificial' and shaky, basically as a defense against a world they have perceived, often since infancy, as totally uncaring, untrustworthy and very painful. Also heaven forbid they should ever allow anyone to get close enough to them, for fear they'll be ''vulnerable'' and someone might discover the ''truth'' about their ''worthlessness''!

There's quite a lot written about Narcissism, and my own fav author is psychotherapist Alexander Lowen, whose book 'Narcissism: Denial of the True Self' best seems to capture the essence of it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology