Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:57 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,786,207 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever dealt with a person with this disorder? What are they really like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM

1,729 posts, read 5,003,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Has anyone ever dealt with a person with this disorder? What are they really like?
Extremely selfish, has a sense of entitlement, they look in the mirror lots of the time to make sure everything is in place, everything is me, me, and me. Lack sensitivity for others, want everything NOW! Lack a conscience, and are takers, rather than givers. They are also extremely HEDONISTIC. Do not care for others feelings or wants.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,488,546 times
Quote:
That's kind of a loaded question. Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a pretty precise clinical diagnosis, which means most of us are really not qualified to make it. Frankly, I've noticed many people label anyone who wronged them without seeming to feel sorry "narcissistic" or "sociopathic."

Old 01-05-2013, 04:22 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,462,589 times
Aren't they planning on removing it from DSM 5?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:49 PM

799 posts, read 1,551,428 times
I very briefly dated a guy once who I am fairly certain was a narcisstic sociopath. He had drug abuse problems which he kept hidden, thought everything he did was BRILLIANT, that he was incredibly irresistable to both genders, and because of this, others would and should happily support him.

I remember him tooling around on my piano once. I didn't comment or pay attention, because I thought he was just sort of doodling. He turned to me, actually angry that I had failed to recognize the musical virtuosity with which he played my piano. I started laughing: it was clear he didn't know how to play and had no ear-- I thought he was joking. He was so offended that he stomped out of my house, slamming the door so hard it split a piece of the frame.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:13 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,786,207 times
Rubies described the person i know to the T. I just never met anyone like her, she's just to nasty and it's all me, me, me and god forbid you don't agree with her.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:12 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,070,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
Aren't they planning on removing it from DSM 5?
There was quite a debate over this DX for the past 2-3 years.

It will stay in the DSM 5

From what I am reading the DSM 5 will be interesting

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/he...mind.html?_r=0

Old 01-05-2013, 07:12 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,764,541 times
Quote:
Watch and listen to Obama and you will know.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:25 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,164,880 times
My mother suffers from severe, extreme Narcissistic personality disorder.

There are quite a few books out there discussing this. A few of my favorites are:

Drew Pinsky and S. Mark Young co-authored 'The Mirror Effect,'

Elan Golomb wrote, 'Trapped in the Mirror: Adult Children of Narcissists in their Struggle for Self'

Ph.D, Karyl McBride, 'Will I ever Be Good Enough- Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers".

All 3 are excellent. However, Karyl McBride has a FB private group, page, and support page.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 AM

24,152 posts, read 32,568,370 times
Quote:
Weather or not it remains in the DSM V, it exists. I have unfortunately had many dealings with them.

Here are some traits

1. superficially charming
2. incapable of empathy
3. love to be the center of attention
4. need more than the normal amount of praise and adulation to sustain happiness
5. self absorbed
6. incapable of caring or loving another person
7. have mild to moderate sadistic traits - make cutting remarks, no just how to hurt you.
8. Also know how to flatter - and give out just the right amount of compliments and praise to draw you in.
9. You may feel drained after spending time with them.
10. Often travels with an orbit of friends who feed his/her narcissism.Frequently, they delibritaly chose friends who they perceive are slightly beneath them. Not too far beneath, because hanging around with people who are mediocre would make them look bad. But not quite as talented, good looking , athletic, what ever attributes they value.
11. must get his/her own way
12. high sex drive and need for thrills.
13. Can not be contradicted.
14. Especially in woman - become overly sentimental about tragic events that happen to people that they do not know - celebrities etc. yet show little regard for their own children, spouse etc.
15. Grandiose. Will refer to them selves as brilliant, handsome, accomplished, when their success is in fact, meager.

When you meet these people, run.

Last edited by sheena12; 01-06-2013 at 02:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology