Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Have to disagree with this. In a way, I'm like the OP. I started thinking about my death when I was around 8 years old, (between church being confusing and the threat of nuclear war, I was pretty scared and would lie awake at night at that age thinking about it), and haven't stopped since.

In May of 2011, I witnessed an horrific car accident, (saw and heard the entire thing), that left one girl dead. She was only 26...the accident was just so stupid....a stupid, stupid accident. One second she's alive, getting ready to have some fun, (it was in front of where I used to work), the next second, she's slammed in to by an SUV.

The thought of dying kicked in to overdrive then and hasn't stopped since.
MY own death or aging (for now) doesn't scare me as much but my biggest fear is seeing people dying in a sudden way. If it happened to me I wouldn't mind, I would rather have a fast death even if it meant dying younger

But I am so afraid of seeing people suddently die that it takes over my judgment. I had a similar situation like yours (hearing a head on collision, it honestly sounded like a bomb) but after seeing the reaction of others(other drivers were crying, they looked like nothing could be done) I just turned around and left. I didn't want to the bodies because I knew it would impact me greatly. It still impacted me though like for 3 months, the thought that 2 people died in a split second was hard to grasp.

Recently I was at a pharmacy and again I heard a loud sound coming from one of the isles. A girl (she was with a male friend) had falling and we asked the pharmacy for help. Then I heard from the employees what it sounded like she was unconscious and I didn't check anymore. I really didn't want to see anybody die and rescue was already on their way. I know it's wrong to act that way but I feel just can't take it and my own fear takes over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 09:48 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
One thing that scares me though is dementia. I don't even think I would have a problem killing myself if I suspect I am losing my marbles. The thought of being mentally ill, ending up homeless on the streets and being prey of psychopaths, violent teenagers or drugged people it's a scary one.

Here in Miami we had a very famous homeless attack last year and it probably bothered me more than the accident I heard. It's so bad I don't even take that road to go to Miami beach

Old 07-10-2013, 11:42 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
I am almost the same way. I fear death, especially since I don't believe in God anymore. The more I think about it the more I believe there is nothing after death. That scares the heck out of me.

I basically just don't allow myself to think about it so much, because then I get anxiety. Then I remember the feeling that I had when we lived in 1 house...which we thought was haunted. If it was haunted, then there must be life after death, right?

Old 07-12-2013, 02:33 AM

580 posts, read 964,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Reality is, from the moment we are conceived, we are placed in line to die. Your turn comes when your turn comes. You cannot change that. The question you must answer is what is missing from your life that has you fixated on death. Pray to find that something.
I remember a while back someone mentioned guilt about my father's death and how I didn't stay. It is possible that that might be part of it. I'm definitely not ruling that out.

There is also the possibility that, at his funeral, there were only five people there that were really close to him. From what one of his older friends had said, after he and my mother separated he seemed to have become a little bitter about things. For the most part I have four fairly close friends although even they sometimes seem like acquaintances. I thought I had friends before. I'd hang out with people and they'd invite me over to their apartments but for two that slowly stopped after a month when they met other people. The other person I thought was a friend only seemed to call me or invite me over when she wanted something or needed me to do something. Other times I had the feeling she only hung out with me because there wasn't anyone else to hang out with.

A third thing about my father was that while I felt close enough with him when I was a child, I'm kind of starting to think maybe I wasn't really that close to him at all and that I never really knew him on a deeper level. I've heard stories about him and what he did from my mother. He himself told me he saw the Hindenberg fly over before it went down. I knew he worked on the railroad and everything like that. It wasn't until three years after the funeral when I really noticed that I knew very little about him. He was veteran. (I guess I kind of thought he just joined the marines and never got to see any action or something.) I knew that but I didn't think he fought in any wars. That was until this Father's Day when I saw on his grave that he fought in Korea. I was surprised about that and I felt kind of bad that I didn't know this about him.

I guess part of this is because maybe I'm afraid I might end up dying alone without any real meaningful relationships. I'm afraid that, if I have children in the future, I might not be able to connect with them.

There is also the thing where I see other people going out having fun and doing all kinds of things. Basically living life getting married having children etc, etc, etc and I feel like I'm missing out on that stuff because of a lot of social, financial and other issues. I know I don't want to go before I get to actually experience a little life. I know I don't want to be that guy who worked all his life at the same minimum wage job without really living.

Maybe these are the things I'm missing in my life: fun (that includes excitement and adventures), accomplishment, meaningful relationships, a good house, a great family, financial freedom (other American dream stuff).

Aside from the stuff I'm missing from my life, its the physical part of dying that I fear as well. That part has been addressed here as well. It is still something that's terrifying to me.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:40 AM

588 posts, read 956,854 times
Yes, I agree. My biggest fear is the physical part of dying. I mean, OUCH!!! The idea of being dead doesn't scare me. It's the whole process of getting shot (if someone shoots me) or strangled, or falling to my death, that scares me.
Sorry, hope I didn't make your feelings of fear worse.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Have to disagree with this. In a way, I'm like the OP. I started thinking about my death when I was around 8 years old, (between church being confusing and the threat of nuclear war, I was pretty scared and would lie awake at night at that age thinking about it), and haven't stopped since.

In May of 2011, I witnessed an horrific car accident, (saw and heard the entire thing), that left one girl dead. She was only 26...the accident was just so stupid....a stupid, stupid accident. One second she's alive, getting ready to have some fun, (it was in front of where I used to work), the next second, she's slammed in to by an SUV.

The thought of dying kicked in to overdrive then and hasn't stopped since.
The worst time as far as thinking of death for me was when I was little and stayed with friends who were Protestant and they would say "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, if I should die before I wake....." that terrified me more than any horror movie and I'd lay awake trying hard not to let the Sandman get me.

I don't like to think about death at all -- I am postponing all of that, I don't have a will but I know I should have one. I think when I'm over 80 or 90, I'll start thinking about it though. Maybe when I'm over 100.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,544 times
am 21 years old and cant stop thinking about my death and everyones around me, i feel that am not going to wake up everytime i go to sleep, am also afraid that am going to get killed in the most horrible way am not entirely sure what kick started it but i just need it to stop, am crying everyday like its my last and i have to say goodbye, am tired all the time, feel like am on auto pilot, and am scared people are going to think am crazy.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:30 AM

588 posts, read 956,854 times
You are not a bit crazy! I too think about death quite often, although mine is more of a curiosity, like "How will I die? Will it be a sudden death or more prolonged? Hopefully I'll go quickly. Don't want to be tortured or find out from a doctor I only have so long to live. That'd be horrible! Also, I tend to think more about death when a ton of bad events happen to me all at once. Makes me more contemplative.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:20 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
1) Your chance of dying at some time during your life when you turn 30 is exactly the same as it was when you turned 29, or 10 for that matter, i.e. its 100%. So forget about that meaning anything.
2) You have no idea whatsoever if your death will be painful. With modern medicine its just as likely to be dreamy on opiates or over in such a quick time you cannot even perceive it. Perhpas you'll be asleep, under an anesthetic etc.
3) Death is worse for those left behind, they are the ones who grieve.
4) Every single one of the 6 billion of us alive at the moment has the same problem - we will die. Just like all the billions who came before.
5) If you have a spouse, partner or children, then get your house in order - life insurance, will, directions to important docs.
6) Get on with your life. Stop indulging this.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 AM

774 posts, read 1,693,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post
First of all, I fear death. I fear it like the plague.
You should hang around with people like me, who don't fear it the tiniest bit.

Quote:
My 29th birthday was this March. The thought of turning 30 kind of scares me because it's like a point of no return in my life. I'm never going to get any of the years that have already passed back and when I think of my age I imagine myself growing into an old man. Then I imagine me on my death bed. It scares me.
Now that's something different. You're worried about getting older (which often happens at your age) and you're worried about the process of dying (which is often needlessly unpleasant in our society). That's not irrational.

Once when I was about 25, I had a dream where I was 55. I hadn't done so many things I meant to by that age! I nearly panicked. Then I woke up and I was so relieved to know that I had 30 more years to get things done!

Quote:
I have a basic idea about what many different religions say. Judeo-Christian belief systems say good people go to heaven after they die.
No, that's just Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Keep thinking about it. Don't suppress it. Eventually you will stop thinking about it. It's normal, after all death is our greatest fear.
Maybe yours--it's certainly not one of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
There's no reason to be afraid of death. That's basically the same as saying you are literally scared of absolutely nothing. I think what most people really fear is dying, which unlike death itself, can actually be horrible.

When I was a little kid in second grade, I played a little too hard, got over-heated and passed out. I went to the doctor and they said I was fine and there was nothing objectively wrong with me, but the experience was interesting. One moment I was here, then my right leg gave way, and then all thought ceased, in less than a second. I was completely unaware (of course) of what was going on while I was out. Death is the same thing. You can't be aware of your own unawareness! I could have died right there and everything would have been just peachy. I hope when my actual death comes it's as incredibly fast and easy as that fainting episode was! That would be amazing.
I agree. If you stop existing it won't bother you in the slightest. It's getting there that's the task
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology