Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:08 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

I also think that it depends on how closely your own life relates to a tragedy. My daughter graduated from college this past weekend. Just before the weekend, a student at a university in the region was shot and killed by the police while an intruder was holding a gun to her head--the cop shot and killed the criminal, but a bullet also hit the girl. My heart aches for that girl's parents. I can relate to the situation because I too have a daughter living in off-campus housing and it's much easier to put myself in their place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 757 times
Coming across this in reaction to the Moore, Oklahoma tornado that has so far killed 24. This is the first time I remember so much media attention given to one tornadic event, some networks doing all-day coverage (CBS). Also the first time I have seen/realized so many people all over the country posting on Facebook "thoughts with Oklahoma" and such. However, I don't recall -anyone- saying much about the May 22, 2011 Joplin tornado which killed 150+ people, nor about any of the other tornado outbreaks that can kill hundreds of people hat happen every year, other than the media outlets giving it the top news story for the half hour. Is it because a number of the deceased are children from an elementary school? Why now, and never before? Why this one instance, when there have been other events with greater damage and casualty? I don't understand it, unless it is because the media is covering this one tornado in an exceptional way, and people who are not very big in following meteorology think that this tornado was exceptional. Not to belittle the tragedy, but far worse has happened to larger regions in the country before, yet not this big of a reaction has happened.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:37 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandah View Post
Coming across this in reaction to the Moore, Oklahoma tornado that has so far killed 24. This is the first time I remember so much media attention given to one tornadic event, some networks doing all-day coverage (CBS). Also the first time I have seen/realized so many people all over the country posting on Facebook "thoughts with Oklahoma" and such. However, I don't recall -anyone- saying much about the May 22, 2011 Joplin tornado which killed 150+ people, nor about any of the other tornado outbreaks that can kill hundreds of people hat happen every year, other than the media outlets giving it the top news story for the half hour. Is it because a number of the deceased are children from an elementary school? Why now, and never before? Why this one instance, when there have been other events with greater damage and casualty? I don't understand it, unless it is because the media is covering this one tornado in an exceptional way, and people who are not very big in following meteorology think that this tornado was exceptional. Not to belittle the tragedy, but far worse has happened to larger regions in the country before, yet not this big of a reaction has happened.

I'm skeptical of all the hand-wringing and sympathy after a tragedy. When action is suggested, like building publicly-funded storm shelters, at least under schools for Pete's sake, people argue against it. They're like, not on my dime, we can't afford it, we shouldn't be taxing people to build public shelters. It's ridiculous. It's like people care, but they really don't when it comes time to DO something to prevent future tragedies.

The same goes for gun deaths. We know that tighter gun control laws MIGHT cut down on mass shootings for example. But will many gun owners even consider tighter gun control---NO.

So I think much of the sympathy is misplaced. If it means it might cost someone a few cents or inconvenience them, or restrict their "rights", all that sympathy goes out the window. It's all about me, me, me.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
For me these events are like a train wreck. You need to look away, but you can't. You have to look.

Also there is the factor that the entire country is locked into the same news as you. It becomes very much a shared experience of grief or shock or anger.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:35 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandah View Post
I disagree. I think the Joplin tornado generated a LOT of attention and sympathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology