Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 05:04 PM

803 posts, read 1,668,341 times

Advertisements

Always thought about this as well. I always park away from corrals, preferably in a spot that isn't laying lower than the rest of the lot.

It's not the only example of inconsiderate behavior you'll see in parking lots. For instance, why do some people park their car so close to the adjacent car's driver side, so that person cannot get into their car easily when they leave? Why do some people walk in the middle of the lot like oblivious morons, when there is a car creeping along behind them trying to find a spot? Why do I have dings on my car because some people are careless when they open their car doors?

Assholes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 06:19 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
The fenced exit store system here in Toronto does two things, it prevents carts from ending up spread all over the neighbourhood, and encourages fitness. Ever wonder why so many Americans are so fat ?

We also have supermarkets that have carts that will "lock up the wheels " if you try to take them off the store's property. A buried electrical line, that works like the " invisible fence " for dogs, that limits how far you can push it. That allows the elderly and the big time shopper, to get to their car, without trouble, but keeps the carts on the parking lot.

Jim B

Toronto.
We have that system here in Nj,but its mostly Shoprite.
it works,but the only thing is you can drive your car up to the bars,get out,and get your things.
You do have to leave your cart behind while you get your car,which means that your food could get stolen.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:21 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
As a former grocery store employee, because they have people they pay to get the carts. I leave it in the spot. I don't care. They pay people to round them up. who cares?

Old 08-31-2013, 06:47 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,452,327 times
Exactly.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:02 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
As a former grocery store employee, because they have people they pay to get the carts. I leave it in the spot. I don't care. They pay people to round them up. who cares?
As a former grocery store employee, who got paid $6/hr....I can't believe you just said that.

I recall the days of rounding up carts in the pouring rain and freezing cold, getting soaked from head to toe. Of course, when it rained, it was the worst time because no one wanted to walk in that stuff to put the carts in the corral.

As a former grocery store employee who hated rounding up the carts in all sorts of crappy weather, I always put the cart back where it belongs. Even if that means bringing it back into the store. Because I know how crappy the job was, why make it more crappy for low paid employee?

Old 08-31-2013, 08:46 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,506,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
As a former grocery store employee, who got paid $6/hr....I can't believe you just said that.

I recall the days of rounding up carts in the pouring rain and freezing cold, getting soaked from head to toe. Of course, when it rained, it was the worst time because no one wanted to walk in that stuff to put the carts in the corral.

As a former grocery store employee who hated rounding up the carts in all sorts of crappy weather, I always put the cart back where it belongs. Even if that means bringing it back into the store. Because I know how crappy the job was, why make it more crappy for low paid employee?
That's my sentiment exactly! I don't want to make the store employee's day any harder and miserable than it already is. I feel so bad for them when they're running around the huge parking lots in the freezing cold to collect carts that some lazy jerk couldn't walk a few steps to the corral to return it. And they do this for minimum wage! Shame on all of you who can't bother to be decent and return the cart!

Unfortunately a lot of people have the kind of attitude as the previous poster - people get paid to pick up my mess so I'll take fully advantage of it and make a major mess. I used to work at a gas station years ago and part of my job was cleaning the bathrooms. You'd be amazed at the messes people leave behind just because they can. People will use paper towels and dry their hands and just drop them on the floor. They spill stuff on the sink and just leave it. A bunch of people, including women, pee on the toilet seat and the floor and just leave it. And even worse - some will **** on the seat and floor too.
I bet that none of these people would act like that at home but just because they are somewhere where someone else will clean it up they simply don't care and will even make an extra mess in the process. That someone used to be me and I made all of $7/hour for the pleasure. I seriously resent being so disrespected. I don't want to pick up your nasty paper towels with god-knows-what on them so why not lift your little hand and drop the darn thing in the trash can? If you miss the toilet bowl please take some tissue and wipe it up like you would at home. Don't poop on the floor. Basically, use some common sense and show some basic respect for people who are not your slaves.
Keep in mind that those people who are paid to get your cart, pick up your dirty paper towels and clean up your pee are paid very, very little, usually get no benefits and are often not treated well by their employers. How can you justify adding to their burden? Please answer that for me.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:20 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
The people who are paid to work at the grocery store are expected to WORK . . . so if their job is to return carts, that is their WORK.

If they don't like that kind of WORK, they can look for more desirable WORK.

Some people seem to be saying that paying customers should be doing employees work because the work is undesirable. That makes absolutely no sense.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Good grief, some people are dense.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:01 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
The people who are paid to work at the grocery store are expected to WORK . . . so if their job is to return carts, that is their WORK.

If they don't like that kind of WORK, they can look for more desirable WORK.

Some people seem to be saying that paying customers should be doing employees work because the work is undesirable. That makes absolutely no sense.
I have never, EVER been to any store where they had an employee stationed in the parking lot just waiting for carts to collect.

Stores send an employee out to collect carts whenever.

In the meantime.....the carts that are not put in a corral could roll into someone's car and literally cause a couple hundred dollars worth of damage......plus the inconvenience of leaving your car at a body shop to have the dent/ding/scratch repaired.

How can you possibly defend THAT?

I guess when I get in and out of my car, I should just slam my car door into the car next to mine.....after all.....the guys in body repair shops need WORK too! YAY for me! I just helped provide a job for someone!

What? That was your car?

Too bad for you! Suck it up....do your part....and go get that dent repaired!

Old 09-01-2013, 12:02 AM

908 posts, read 1,419,128 times
If the cart is just left somewhere randomly in the parking lot, it is usually just someone being lazy. However, it seems that people who have just recently come to the US who are not familiar with shopping carts don't realize that you're supposed to leave it behind and take the cart home with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology