Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 10:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Thought I would share these pictures I took the other day with the participants on this thread - yes, I took these just for you as I was waiting on my dad to run into Atwoods (no - I didn't want to go in with him!):

This one got my attention because apparently the person just couldn't manage to get their cart another six feet to the corral:

Oh, look at this one - not sure if you can tell it, but it's blocking the first space (right after the handicapped space) - you know, the one closest to the door for those of us who aren't handicapped. I mean you COULD pull in there if you were really, really careful, or if you weren't driving a big truck.

Here's the sign that's being ignored:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 06:22 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,400 times
Kathryn, it wouldn't be an issue if US supermarkets provided trolley parks like the ones I see in England at pretty much every supermarket:

If a country with much less space can do it, what gives?

Old 11-30-2013, 01:23 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
Kathryn, it wouldn't be an issue if US supermarkets provided trolley parks like the ones I see in England at pretty much every supermarket:

If a country with much less space can do it, what gives?
Am I missing something? They just look like large corrals. And some stores do have something similar to that. If a person is too lazy to bring a cart back to a corral, then why would this be any different?

Old 11-30-2013, 06:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Here's an idea. Instead of spending a minute writing a rant in this forum, just don't say anything and spend that minute later on in the supermarket parking lot pushing somebody's stray cart into the corral.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here's an idea. Instead of spending a minute writing a rant in this forum, just don't say anything and spend that minute later on in the supermarket parking lot pushing somebody's stray cart into the corral.
Because this is more fun. And besides that, I'm not an enabler. They can take their own cart to the corral.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:06 PM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
this one is for you KathrynAragon--

Why Do People Not Put Shopping Carts Back in Parking Lots? - YouTube

enjoy think it will be very much up to your standards

Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
I've never been able to wrap my head around this. You go out to a grocery store, etc. and inevitably you will find shopping carts in the grass at the edge of the lots, on curbs, even in the middle parking spots. Yet, there are always "cart corrals" (or whatever you call them) that are nearby. It only takes a minimal effort to put the cart away properly once you have loaded your vehicle.

So what makes people feel that they are entitled to leave their cart where ever they please? That it is beneath them to take 10 seconds and put it away properly?

I've noticed that the biggest offenders seem to be Wal-Mart shoppers. I can't help but notice that, on average, there are many more carts abandoned throughout the parking lot at Wal-Marts than any other stores. So maybe it has something to do with poor people don't respect themselves, so therefore they don't respect others?

But does anyone here do this? Leave the carts in the middle of a parking spot when a corral is just a few feet away? Can you please let me know what goes through your mind so that I can understand how you came to be such an awful person?
I use to be a Cart Collector/Bagger @Kroger in my Home town here in Buckhannon,WV, and I have a few pictures that I took as
proof of the "Laziness" in my area, and Yes too "MANY Lazy F*cks" think that where they are going afterwards is far more important than taking a few minor/greater steps to put them where they BELONG! after working a few months there I witnessed this just about everyday...It pissed me off quite a bit...

Old 04-24-2016, 04:20 PM

4,242 posts, read 946,663 times
Default Total Shopping Cart Nerd Here

Not only do I think everyone should return their cart (non-negotiable), but I also have another pet peeve: When people just shove their cart into the corral without a thought about making it easy for the grocery store person to stack them. The little carts and the big carts are all just crammed in there, some even sideways (what the ...). Why not take a second to stack it with others the same size? Today I saw someone approach an entirely empty corral and just leave the cart right at the opening rather than starting a line. I've watched the grocery store staff struggle with carts in the pouring rain - totally needless.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:31 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
HA HA! This reminds me of juvenile evil decades ago. Somewhere, I don't remember where, I came across a supermarket with theft resistant shopping carts. Here's how they worked: surrounding the perimeter of the parking lot was about a 3" asphalt lip. The shopping cards had a 5th swiveling wheel in the front. When you rolled the shopping card over the lip a spring extended the fifth wheel downwards and when that happened it locked and no longer swiveled. This rendered the cart essentially impossible to maneuver. The store personal had a key which unlocked the fifth wheel and allowed it to retract and swivel again.

So. of course, what my friend and I did was pull down the handle on rows and rows of shopping carts, lifting the front, and locking them all!

Don in Austin

Last edited by Don in Austin; 04-24-2016 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 05-08-2016, 06:12 AM

52 posts, read 40,637 times
It's nothing but laziness. There's really no excuse. I don't think I've ever had to walk more than 30 seconds to reach a corral and push my cart into it. You're telling me you had time to walk around the store, fill your cart with stuff, check out, put your items in the car, but you can't spare the extra few seconds to put your cart in the corral? Come on. It's annoying when you're in a crowded parking lot, finally find a spot to park, then right as you're pulling in there's a cart sitting in the middle of it. Not to mention the fact that carts out in the open can get moved around by the wind and damage people's cars if they hit them.

Needless to say, I always put the cart in the corral. If there are other carts in the area I'll usually grab those too. I remember one occasion when I was walking into a store shortly before they closed and there was a cart right by where I parked, so I pushed the cart in with me. The employees of the store were so thankful and appreciative, they couldn't believe a customer would do that. I was kind of surprised, I told them that it was no problem, the cart was right there and I was walking in anyway. But apparently even this very minimal amount of effort is too much for most customers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology