Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times

Advertisements

sounds like congress--- lol-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 07:35 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And I thank God you're not.
I thank God too!!!

Old 11-24-2013, 08:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I think it is sad that so many people are so willing to excuse bad behavior.

It's become epidemic in our society.....everyone has an excuse for not doing the right thing......people expect it and don't even give it a second thought.
I think it is sad that so many people are so UNwilling to tolerate behavior that falls short of their own lofty standards.......and don't even give it a second thought.

I don't believe in the Bible, but those of you who need it for guidance, might consider this:

Matthew 18:21-22
Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-24-2013 at 08:24 PM..

Old 11-24-2013, 08:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
I think that in the several months that this thread has been active, I've spent probably a total of maybe 20 minutes on it. So I don't think I'm fixated unhealthily on it.

By the way, I went to the grocery store today and somehow managed to get my cart to the corral, even though it was, like, really really cold outside.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,932,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think that in the several months that this thread has been active, I've spent probably a total of maybe 20 minutes on it. So I don't think I'm fixated unhealthily on it.

By the way, I went to the grocery store today and somehow managed to get my cart to the corral, even though it was, like, really really cold outside.
Score: Brownie Point!

Old 11-24-2013, 08:33 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,027,190 times
A drive thru supermarket would be a better idea. You'd just drive through and grab what you need from inside your car. No need for shopping carts anymore.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:12 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,353,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
A drive thru supermarket would be a better idea. You'd just drive through and grab what you need from inside your car. No need for shopping carts anymore.
I'm guessing you're being tongue in cheek. But, your suggestion would be tricky at Home Depot. Or, clothing stores, stores selling large items & Target-type stores where carts are often used. Some of us need to see, touch & compare when buying. With the lines of cars & backup waiting for them to be packed up, it will take 4-hrs to buy 1/2-chicken & a sweater. Not good for those like me... I'm a 1-person household & small shop, normally... going often & buying a few things at a time.

The answer isn't to redesign bldgs around the issue... those costs will be passed onto the consumers. Maybe separate the parking lots & the front is for those who will return their carts & the back for those who won't. Let the back lot deal with their own cart congestion, until employees can be assigned/hired to clear it out. After 2-wks, it'll be utter chaos back there.

And, it's been said repeatedly that the issue isn't just dinged/dented/scratched cars, which some have had happen & others haven't. I have removed carts from my car & noticed scratches, several times. Still, it's the inconvenience others are causing unnecessarily. I've seen handicapped spots stuffed with so many carts, they couldn't be used. Or, people begin leaving them in 1 spot (usually up against a pole or up on a curb), which expands to 2 spots then 3 & now there are 20 loose carts taking multiple parking spaces. Of course, then I park far away as I don't want them to roll into my car, as I know full well that others will continue to utilizing those 1/2-dozen spaces for abandoning carts. It's an inconvenience to others. I can grab 1 cart & bring it into the store, like I often do... ironic as 99% of the time I don't use a cart... I small shop & carry out.

I've also had some very odd incidents where I've run into a store, returned in 10-min & a shopping cart was placed squarely behind my car (either butted up against it or just about), so I couldn't back up... given the empty space next to me that was occupied when I went into the store, apparently the driver decided I not only should return his/her cart, but ensured I had to by blocking my exit. It's an inconvenience & disappointing that someone has selfish disregard for my time & property.

And, I still find this hysterical. I wrote before that several times people have deposited their carts right in front of my car, not noticing I was sitting in it & facing them. In one case when the woman saw me, she took off running through the parking lot like a loon on fire. Ahaha. I'm unsure why... did she think I was going to do my best Olympian sprinter impression & chase her down? And, where was she going? Does she bring her cart to the other side of the lot, deposit it, then go to her car? Haha. I doubled over laughing for 5-min it was so odd. Twice, people did the same, saw me, froze like deer in headlights, then amazingly still left their cart in front of my car & scurried away. Why? Too funny.

The 1 abandoned cart, even when pushed up on grass/curb seems to invite others to leave them in the same location & not all secure them. And, everyone knows how carts like to procreate. Perhaps I view it differently, but I thought any cart collectors (& sadly, not all stores hire them) are there to collect them from the corals & return them to the store, not hunt them down all over the lot. That can take a fair amount of extra time & in some busy stores, 1-2 employees can barely keep up. It's the inconvenience to others that's the main issue. It's like when Blockbuster used to print Be Kind Rewind on their tapes & would charge 50-cents if one didn't.

Happy Thanksgiving, All! Be kind, return your turkey carts to the coral.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:28 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think it is sad that so many people are so UNwilling to tolerate behavior that falls short of their own lofty standards.......and don't even give it a second thought.

I don't believe in the Bible, but those of you who need it for guidance, might consider this:

Matthew 18:21-22
Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.
I am an atheist so I don't believe in the bible......however.....it seems I live it more than a lot of the so-called Christians who have posted in this thread.

Quote:
Matthew 7:12

New International Version (NIV)

12 So in everything, do to others what you would
have them do to you,
for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
I put carts in the corrals.....so the cart I used won't damage other's cars......because I wouldn't like it if a wayward cart damaged my car.

I don't throw litter out of the car window.....because I wouldn't like people throwing their litter out of their car into my yard.

Funny isn't it? I have noticed this many, many times.....concerning many different things......that I, an atheist....have more consideration for others than most Christians do.....those who flock to church every Sunday.....then walk out the front door with no regard for anyone but themselves.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:20 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,246,149 times
Default What causes people to think they can leave a shopping cart anywhere?

I usually always, always do, it's job security for some HS student or someone with slight disabilities to earn a few bucks. If someone's car can't see the shopping cart coming, perhaps it needs glasses.
Body shops need the revenue too.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:52 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,865,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I usually always, always do, it's job security for some HS student or someone with slight disabilities to earn a few bucks. If someone's car can't see the shopping cart coming, perhaps it needs glasses.
Body shops need the revenue too.
Then the persons who leaves the carts need to pay for the body work. Let's install cameras and hunt down the lazy folks that cause damage to vehicles. That would provided jobs for the hunters and the body shops. And car rental places while the body work is being done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology