Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 08:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times

Advertisements

Just parked my cart "illegally" today (front wheels up on curb to make sure it doesn't roll). Where are all of these places with dumb people who park where carts are rolling all over the place? Can't they see what's in the parking space? I have never seen carts randomly rolling around parking lots. Most people control their carts in uneven lots. And there are "cart jockeys" who return the carts to wherever they want them to be. I am not in charge of carts. So many anal people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 09:51 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Just parked my cart "illegally" today (front wheels up on curb to make sure it doesn't roll). Where are all of these places with dumb people who park where carts are rolling all over the place? Can't they see what's in the parking space? I have never seen carts randomly rolling around parking lots. Most people control their carts in uneven lots. And there are "cart jockeys" who return the carts to wherever they want them to be. I am not in charge of carts. So many anal people!
You are in charge of the cart that you used in your shopping. You are trying to justify not doing the right thing and putting it into a corral; either you are lazy or you don't care about anyone but yourself.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:55 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
^^ I'm proud of myself for not leaving carts around. The corrals are there for a reason, and I'm fortunate enough to have functioning legs and arms which can push the cart in a store and all the way to the corral in the lot. Just today, I brought someone else's cart in that was left in a parking spot next to mine. I don't mind taking care of someone else's laziness if it means not getting to complain that my car got banged up.
I have to agree here. If there is an empty cart near where I park I will push it to the corral in self defense.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:06 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
quote((and I have every right to look down on those who don't)) brrrr- here some loose carts- I leave you with your anger- adios! I am off to enjoy life!

Old 11-11-2013, 08:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What would you do if you saw someone dump their trash in your yard? Just curious.

The first thing I would do is pick it up. What would come after that would depend on particular circumstances that you conveniently left murky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
But where do you draw the line?

By the way, do YOU leave your cart to float around in parking lots? Do YOU throw trash in other peoples' yards? Why or why not?
No. Because it is not a big deal for me to exercise a little inconvenience, and take up the slack that some other people leave. Those who are willing and able have the responsibility to the imperfect community to offset the social deficiencies.

I throw my trash in the dumpster, and if I see anybody else's lying around, I toss that in, too. What's the big deal?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Here is my attempt at the brief history of current cart controversy:

1. People used to go to markets daily to buy fresh foods.
2. "Super" Markets were invented and people started going to the supermarket less frequently, and that was considered "progress."
3. When the supermarket was first invented, customer service was considered important. You were waited on and your groceries were kindly delivered to your vehicle by a "grocery boy."
4. Recently, people in general have become more rushed and self-sufficient and some people see getting assistance to one's vehicle as interfering with their independence. This is where the current problem initially arose. People started demanding that they NOT be helped out to their cars. The "grocery boys" were still available to help those who wanted it and to round up the carts of those who did not want such help.
5. Very recently some stores have begun charging for bags - passing their bag expense on to customers - the same lack of customer service can be applied to grocery stores more frequently not having people available to help people out to their cars or round up the carts of those who take their groceries out themselves.

There is no rule or expectation that a customer should return their carts - cart control is the responsibility of the store. But, as with bags, stores might soon put some new rule into effect - I bet they want to make customers sign some kind of agreement that they will return carts - but it would be awkward to implement - hence, the current "problem."

Old 11-11-2013, 04:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

I throw my trash in the dumpster, and if I see anybody else's lying around, I toss that in, too. What's the big deal?
Quote:
The first thing I would do is pick it up. What would come after that would depend on particular circumstances that you conveniently left murky.
I was pretty clear - I asked what you would do if you SAW SOMEONE throw trash in your yard. What do you want - age, height, whether or not they were walking or driving? OK - what if you saw an eighteen year old young woman, your neighbor, walking past your house and she casually threw her Big Gulp cup onto your lawn as she meandered along her way?

Quote:
Because it is not a big deal for me to exercise a little inconvenience, and take up the slack that some other people leave. Those who are willing and able have the responsibility to the imperfect community to offset the social deficiencies.
So the above scenario wouldn't irritate you? You would think it was OK for an able bodied young woman to casually throw her trash in your yard for you to pick up? You think you're willing and able to pick it up and she's actually unable to throw it in a trash receptacle somewhere? Or is it OK that she's simply UNWILLING to do so because it's easier for her to just chunk it down in your yard rather than carry it into her house three houses down and put it in the trash there?

Old 11-11-2013, 05:01 PM

Parked next to an "illegally parked cart" today (it was up on the meridian and part way in the parking space I chose. I must be a daredevil. I wasn't even scared. And my car is fairly new. There was no problem, F.Y.I.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Parked next to an "illegally parked cart" today (it was up on the meridian and part way in the parking space I chose. I must be a daredevil. I wasn't even scared. And my car is fairly new. There was no problem, F.Y.I.
Oh, it will happen when you least expect it. And when it does, we don't want to hear you belly-aching about it either.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:06 PM

9 posts, read 10,943 times
lacked of discipline I guess; this doesn't happen in Korea, people here knows where to put the carts when they're done shopping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology