Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 07:14 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

I just can't over that people get so upset about a scratch on their car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,865,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just can't over that people get so upset about a scratch on their car.
A scratch is expensive to repair. You do want to repair scratches because they can lead to rust and corrosion.

The Average Cost for Repairing a Car Paint Scratch - CarsDirect

The paint alone runs $50-$300 for 2 oz., depending on the make, model, and paint.

A small scratch repair starts at $150-$200. A major scratch repair can be $500.

You bet I get upset over hundreds of dollars to repair these "dings" and they happen more than once.

Basically, these parking lot dents and scratches are vandalism, either willfully or by laziness.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
So, those carts damaging my car don't matter? Since you have a job, are YOU going to pay to get those dings out of the sides of my car since I'm thinking so negative about them?

The carts getting collected from the corrals provide jobs; why don't you think that the carts should be returned there?
You car has a much better chance of getting DINGGED by another's car door, and you must live in a bad neighbord hood where folks throw carts at people or something?? and I say this working at a HOME Depot! a very rough area for cars due to carts of all kinds, wood, drywall, pipes, fences, xmas trees. and very heavy items that would make carts roll- etc etc -and I have parked there for years,,,?? I go th MALL and get more dings from the shoppers with NO carts, Life is gonna happen and your vehicle can get damaged,,, maybe golf size hail next time>> ??

Old 10-27-2013, 08:22 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,888,687 times
I don't care for fatalism.

It's in stores' best financial interests to keep carts secured. They can be sued for damage caused to vehicles. If they'd put signs inside stores (near check-out lines or exits) and/or barriers in front of parts of the sidewalk next to the building, they could discourage people from taking carts to their vehicles (or beyond) and using just bags or having store employees carry them if necessary.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:53 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I don't care for fatalism.

It's in stores' best financial interests to keep carts secured. They can be sued for damage caused to vehicles. If they'd put signs inside stores (near check-out lines or exits) and/or barriers in front of parts of the sidewalk next to the building, they could discourage people from taking carts to their vehicles (or beyond) and using just bags or having store employees carry them if necessary.
When I shop the cart is full......40 lb. bag of bird seed, two 28 lb. boxes of cat litter.....then add the rest of my groceries.

The store would have to assign 4 or 5 store employees to hand carry all of that to my car....or one poor soul to make 7 or 8 trips to my car and back.

The cart has to go to my car.

I am hardly the only one who fills up their cart to overflowing either......not allowing carts off the sidewalk is not a workable solution.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:41 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,418,582 times
The outside of the carts should have rubber bumper pads on them. That way they won't scratch my car, or another car, when I move it out of the way with my car.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
A scratch is expensive to repair. You do want to repair scratches because they can lead to rust and corrosion.

The Average Cost for Repairing a Car Paint Scratch - CarsDirect

The paint alone runs $50-$300 for 2 oz., depending on the make, model, and paint.

A small scratch repair starts at $150-$200. A major scratch repair can be $500.

You bet I get upset over hundreds of dollars to repair these "dings" and they happen more than once.

Basically, these parking lot dents and scratches are vandalism, either willfully or by laziness.
I guess I just never owned a car that didn't have scratches to begin with so I don't wring my hands over such things. LOL, until now, I've always had to buy old cars--I'm a commuter, and I couldn't afford to pay $300 for a car payment on something that sits in a train station parking lot 12 hours a day and pay $300 a month for a train ticket, too.

I do have a newer car now--a 2010, because the Sandy storm knocked out my train line last winter for months and I had to drive to work, and it doesn't have any scratches yet. Something new to worry about in life, I suppose.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:11 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,418,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I guess I just never owned a car that didn't have scratches to begin with so I don't wring my hands over such things. LOL, until now, I've always had to buy old cars--I'm a commuter, and I couldn't afford to pay $300 for a car payment on something that sits in a train station parking lot 12 hours a day and pay $300 a month for a train ticket, too.

I do have a newer car now--a 2010, because the Sandy storm knocked out my train line last winter for months and I had to drive to work, and it doesn't have any scratches yet. Something new to worry about in life, I suppose.
I don't worry about the small stuff either. I wish I had a nickel for every scratch that my motorcycle or my wife's SUV has. They're just machines to me. Built to take me from one place to another. As long as the scratch isn't deep enough to effect the operation of the vehicle, I'm good.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:25 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I don't worry about the small stuff either. I wish I had a nickel for every scratch that my motorcycle or my wife's SUV has. They're just machines to me. Built to take me from one place to another. As long as the scratch isn't deep enough to effect the operation of the vehicle, I'm good.
Would you say that about your house if someone vandalized it? Spray painted it, threw garbage on your front lawn, picked flowers out of your landscaping, left tire tracks all over your lawn?

"My house is still functionally sound, so I'm good with it?"

Old 10-28-2013, 02:12 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,888,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
When I shop the cart is full......40 lb. bag of bird seed, two 28 lb. boxes of cat litter.....then add the rest of my groceries.

The store would have to assign 4 or 5 store employees to hand carry all of that to my car....or one poor soul to make 7 or 8 trips to my car and back.

The cart has to go to my car.

I am hardly the only one who fills up their cart to overflowing either......not allowing carts off the sidewalk is not a workable solution.
I said "discourage," not "stop." For situations where a cart is necessary, a person could still push it out to his or her vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology