Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 07:52 PM

35,780 posts, read 21,156,458 times

Advertisements

this post got as much attention as the "closing of the goverment" posts WOW>>>>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 09:01 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,363,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky View Post
... my Spanish neighbor 2 houses down...she takes it home...sometimes with her from the store..once it ended up in MY driveway..boy was I pissed.
How odd. Does she take it back & forth when shopping on a regular basis? Or, is there a collection of carts in her yard, your driveway, neighbor's gardens, the street? Did it roll into your driveway or did she just intuit you'd need it for shopping next day? People are surely strange...

Old 10-20-2013, 03:27 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,149,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
this post got as much attention as the "closing of the goverment" posts WOW>>>>
HEY, this is a very sensitive issue. Somewhere, out there, right now, a shopping cart is careening out of control right toward some innocent person's driver's side door. It's one of today's major issues!

Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,326,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
But does anyone here do this? Leave the carts in the middle of a parking spot when a corral is just a few feet away? Can you please let me know what goes through your mind so that I can understand how you came to be such an awful person?
There is only one reason why people do this: They're FRIGGIN' LAZY!!!

But I wouldn't say they're awful people for it. I think running off with a grocery cart to deliver goods home and not return them is a lot worse. And it affects us all, because those things are expensive and the costs for replacements are eventually added to the costs.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 PM

35,780 posts, read 21,156,458 times
I collect carts on occasions and gives my buddies I work with- a JOB!!! and to be honest, alot of the loaders we have- are special needs, so they are able to handle this simple task...and can feel great to be able to support themselves,,, so stop thinking so negative!!! carts =jobs- yey!!!

Old 10-21-2013, 09:28 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,873,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I collect carts on occasions and gives my buddies I work with- a JOB!!! and to be honest, alot of the loaders we have- are special needs, so they are able to handle this simple task...and can feel great to be able to support themselves,,, so stop thinking so negative!!! carts =jobs- yey!!!
So, those carts damaging my car don't matter? Since you have a job, are YOU going to pay to get those dings out of the sides of my car since I'm thinking so negative about them?

The carts getting collected from the corrals provide jobs; why don't you think that the carts should be returned there?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:35 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,085,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
HEY, this is a very sensitive issue. Somewhere, out there, right now, a shopping cart is careening out of control right toward some innocent person's driver's side door. It's one of today's major issues!
It will be one of the major issues of your day if that car happens to be yours.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:52 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,991,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
It will be one of the major issues of your day if that car happens to be yours.
Yes it will be but you will survive unless you have a heart attack.

It's not like getting angry at those people is gonna make them change their behavior. You get annoyed, they go on with their lives. Some think their carts are incapable of scratching other cars because some are great at lying to themselves. Others simply don't care about others. There is not much we can do with inconsiderate behavior besides not letting it bother us.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:02 AM

20,105 posts, read 13,567,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Yes it will be but you will survive unless you have a heart attack.

It's not like getting angry at those people is gonna make them change their behavior. You get annoyed, they go on with their lives. Some think their carts are incapable of scratching other cars because some are great at lying to themselves. Others simply don't care about others. There is not much we can do with inconsiderate behavior besides not letting it bother us.
I have a late model car with a scratch on the driver's side front door that might be from a renegade shopping cart, but more likely from some oaf climbing into their car and banging their door into mine in the process, or banging their shopping cart which they are unloading into my door, using their hairy posterior. I think these things are a function of unaware people parking crooked or off center and therefore too close, and being generally careless -- with shopping carts, their driving, and their need for personal space that is often exaggerated by obesity. It's really too simplistic to pin it all on runaway shopping carts that aren't returned to corrals. There are even other things in play, via knock-on effects -- inexpert snow plowing or inadequate shoveling in winter, for instance.

I think it all boils down to "s__t happens -- deal with it". It's not a perfect world. Other People can make it even less perfect, but we all need each other too, so there's no sense being in an entitled, better-than-thou snit about it all the time. If you can't cope with parking lots being imperfect, then either quit using them to keep your grousing to yourself because no one else really wants to hear it.

The length of this thread is kind of amazing in that regard. It's just one tiny aspect of life, and far from the biggest problem in any one person's life.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,363,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If you can't cope with parking lots being imperfect, then either quit using them to keep your grousing to yourself because no one else really wants to hear it.
I hear your points, Mordant, however, not using a parking lot is easier said than done, as most of us need to use them, oftentimes on a daily basis... for market, or if living in an apt complex, to park one's car at the end of the day. Also, the issue isn't always parking lots, as at least 1 has expressed finding a store cart in his/her own driveway... a bit unusual & unnecessary, no, due to the carelessness of a neighbor? Worst thing in the world? No. But, I don't think it's been expressed as such in any of the posts.

As far as 'grousing', these are fair annoyances, no one needs to respond or join in & can easily skip such threads. I don't get the impression most are hot around the collar on a regular basis about carts & parking lots, but you must admit it is a bit of a bummer to have a car dinged (including the $$, time & aggravation to repair it to prevent rust, etc.) or be unable to get into a space loaded with carts.

In posts, personalities do come through, but each is entitled to their view. Personally, I like these lighter subject threads because I prefer not to be inundated with politics, religion & other hot subjects on some of the other forums. And, inevitably, someone will come in chastising everyone for their views, sadly, in the majority of threads I've read. I always attempt to find & add to the humor in threads & maybe I'm wrong, but I think many others have done the same here, sometimes with sarcasm or over-stating to be humorous.

Quote:
The length of this thread is kind of amazing in that regard. It's just one tiny aspect of life, and far from the biggest problem in any one person's life.
The length, as I stated above, is more than likely due to others wanting to find a lighter subject to focus on... the same reason I'll sometimes enter the Beauty/Health Care forum to respond to a lipstick post. Even though it's not the biggest life's problem (I don't recall anyone here saying it was), the frustration with carelessness, disrespect & indifference is the underlying issue others are expressing. No one wishes to be treated less than. And, further apathy isn't the answer. I'd like people to treat me & my possessions as well as they treat themselves & their own. Why is that egregious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology