Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:34 AM

893 posts, read 1,208,035 times

Advertisements

I've never been able to wrap my head around this. You go out to a grocery store, etc. and inevitably you will find shopping carts in the grass at the edge of the lots, on curbs, even in the middle parking spots. Yet, there are always "cart corrals" (or whatever you call them) that are nearby. It only takes a minimal effort to put the cart away properly once you have loaded your vehicle.

So what makes people feel that they are entitled to leave their cart where ever they please? That it is beneath them to take 10 seconds and put it away properly?

I've noticed that the biggest offenders seem to be Wal-Mart shoppers. I can't help but notice that, on average, there are many more carts abandoned throughout the parking lot at Wal-Marts than any other stores. So maybe it has something to do with poor people don't respect themselves, so therefore they don't respect others?

But does anyone here do this? Leave the carts in the middle of a parking spot when a corral is just a few feet away? Can you please let me know what goes through your mind so that I can understand how you came to be such an awful person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 11:41 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times
I'm guilty of this as well.. but I will generally make an effort and scan 360° around me for the nearest corral. If I don't find a corral or the closest one is too far away, then I just leave it on the grass or somewhere..

Old 08-23-2013, 11:51 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times
Here in Toronto the solution is simple. Vertical steel posts, 15 feet outside the exit doors, placed so close together that a cart cannot pass through them. Carry the bags to your car, folks.

And, the city of Toronto has contractors, who drive around and pick up stray carts, and bring them to a holding cage, and then the store owners have to pay $50 a cart to get them back. The fines go to the city, to fund a job creation program for homeless people, who learn how to recycle electronic equipment, and get a paying job, and a place to live. Unclaimed carts are cleaned up and sold, to local stores, at a discount price.

Works well, here.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:19 PM

519 posts, read 1,024,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Here in Toronto the solution is simple. Vertical steel posts, 15 feet outside the exit doors, placed so close together that a cart cannot pass through them. Carry the bags to your car, folks.
Many stores that use shopping carts, at least those in the US, sell some pretty large items. Carrying a few bags of groceries to your car might be fine, but if its a rug or a large household appliance, not so much. I don't really think this is a big problem- store employees periodically collect the carts of the people who were too lazy to put them in the corrals. I've never seen enough loose carts left around to be anything more than a minor annoyance.

These trucks of people going around taking shopping carts, I assume you mean that's for carts that people took off of the store's grounds? If they're taking them from the parking lot, that just sounds like theft.

Last edited by lerner; 08-23-2013 at 12:32 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 12:31 PM

50,383 posts, read 64,034,538 times
There was just a big controversy about this subject here in Savannah, GA. Some genius in City Hall suggested that STORES should be fined when their carts were found around the city. Well, you can imagine how that went over.
No mention was made of penalizing the thieves who stole the carts.
If I have a store in the city, and someone who does not have a car wants to borrow a cart to get their groceries home, I am going to look the other way, but when they steal a new cart once a week, then dump it in a vacant lot, then I mind.
I think Aldi's has a pretty good system. You put in a quarter to get a cart and then when you put it back you get your quarter back.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:35 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
It's not me. I NEVER leave a shopping card or a lumber cart any place other than where it belongs.

I try to live my life as if some kid wearing my jersey number is watching.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:41 PM

1,092 posts, read 833,902 times
LAZINESS!!! (I will snag a cart off the parking lot to get it away from my car, hopefully keeping it from rolling around causing dings, scratches & dents in my car.....also keeps me from having to untangle a cart from the line once inside).

Old 08-23-2013, 02:01 PM

50,383 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's not me. I NEVER leave a shopping card or a lumber cart any place other than where it belongs.

I try to live my life as if some kid wearing my jersey number is watching.
Me too.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:14 PM

582 posts, read 1,119,437 times
I always return the shopping cart because it's good exercise; I always park a mile away from the front entrance of a store. About a month ago I was completely shocked to see a teenager – yes, a teenager, ladies and gentlemen – who had also parked his vehicle a mile away from the entrance like me, actually return his shopping cart to the cart corral... WTF !

I was absolutely shocked. I actually wanted to approach him and ask him who, what, where, when, and why. But I didn't. I was completely speechless and completely impressed at the same time .

Old 08-23-2013, 04:43 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,083,525 times
The even bigger pet peeve of mine is when I see shopping carts completely off the property of the store it came from, usually in front of a run-down house, near a bus stop, or randomly along the street. The solution to this is for stores to install sensors to their cart so that when you get to the edge of the property it locks the wheels and it won't be easy to push anymore outside of the boundary. We got a local grocery store to do this when I was working for a City and loose shopping carts became a problem in a particular neighborhood and the incidence of random shopping carts decreased by about 90% with the sensor system installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology