Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 01:22 AM

5,547 posts, read 3,960,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
If you don't think anyone can properly diagnose you or even treat you why do you both to see psychiatrists at all?
I've been there. Desperation, irrational hope, the small perhaps infinitesimal chance that the next guy you see is the psychiatrist ordained to you by the god who doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 06:09 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,382,355 times
I'm going to guess that the OP has Asperger's/Autism. Of course, I may be mistaken-I'm biased, I have it too.
Been mislabeled as OCD and other stuff for many years until I received this new label a decade ago.
Getting a dx as an adult is no easy thing, true-but it can be worth it to get that understanding for oneself and others.
AANE - Asperger Syndrome Diagnosis in Adults

There is no medication for the diagnosis itself, only meds for some of the associated symptomology that can accompany it (anxiety, depression).
I get along great with my counselors & shrink, but I feel like they really "get" me-suppose I must be one of the lucky few in that regard.
They don't push me to take medication, though I'm currently on it-but for many years I wasn't on anything, so there's no obligation when it comes to that.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:17 AM

29,765 posts, read 34,469,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
The best treatment would be me achieving perfection with no help from anybody else.
I don't' know about compulsive, but this certainly sounds obsessive.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:26 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,945,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't' know about compulsive, but this certainly sounds obsessive.
Nah. It's more narcissistic. Obsessions from OCD are troubling / disturbing for the person, not obsessions that are enjoyed by the person.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I have a small form of OCD. I love order.I organized things all the time. And I believe everything has it's place. My family like to mess with me and rearrange things.
LOL you sound like me! And when I am very stressed, I get more "weird" with my OCD tendencies. I realize this about myself and therefore I am able to control it, though it's a challenge.

When I'm not stressed out (which is nearly all the time because I have a good life, thank God), I actually like my OCD tendencies -very much, in fact. I am super organized and things run smoothly for me. My friends and family are always asking me to help them with some sort of organizational project. Hey, you ought to like this - check out my spice rack! LOL

Yeah, baby!

Old 09-27-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Why would you entrust your life and well-being into hands of those, who do not know what your True Self is? As no one knows what human psyche is. Many do claim to, but no one does.

I can tell you, what you can do. You start praying. How you pray, and what you pray for, is up to you. But if you will pray for one and only true answer to your question, in honest and open manner, answer will be given to you. It may take quite some time. Long time. It may come in form of answer that may not be realized, or perceived, as such. But your job is to listen, to hear, and to obey.
It is also known as meditation. You need to fall into habit of meditating, or praying, over your concern. And it will be provided. It will not be your duty to rationalize with solution you will suddenly find, or justify something else. Your duty will be to embrace what is given onto you, without doubt and fear.
Words of truth.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaFiveTwo View Post
19 Things That Will Drive Your OCD Self Insane

Obsessive-Compulsive self-diagnosis test.

If you "get" it, you have it.

.. .

OMG I could hardly even stand to look at those pictures!

We have a light fixture in our house that is hung slightly off center in the foyer. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY. It's off by about TWO INCHES! WHAT WERE THOSE GOOBERS THINKING!!!!!!! It's enough to make me want to sell the damn house! I can't stand to look at it.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:04 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,987,172 times
Quote:
I was diagnosed with OCD.

I don't think I have that.

The psychiatrist thinks she knows I have OCD after a single hour long meeting. But I've read up on it and I don't think I have that.

I believe I'm smarter than most any psychiatrist or psychologist or social worker out there, and so I don't trust anything they say. I think that's a symptom of narcissistic personality disorder. It would take a rare person to be smart enough to be able to treat me. I have never found such a person.

I believe what I have is narcissistic personality disorder along with either autism and/or some kind of hybrid of avoidant/schizotypal/obsessive compulsive personality disorder.

But no professional will diagnose me with what I think I have. They give me an SSRI and I don't want to take it because I don't think it's going to help me with my actual problem, and the side effects could be dangerous. SSRIs don't help with personality disorders, but that's what they're giving me. They're incompetent fools ! And they're going to destroy my life through incompetence !

I'm stuck dealing with incompetent boobs and quacks and I can't find anybody intelligent to diagnose me.
What makes you think you have a narcissistic personality disorder besides thinking you know more than your psychiatrists? I don't know you and I haven't read any of your other posts but you don't sound like one. You admit your shortcomings very easily, well at least you don't sound like an extreme case. I mean you have known yourself for years, I think it's normal to assume you know more about yourself than a psychiatrist who has only met you for an hour

I think something hasn't clicked in. Either you are unlucky and having received the right diagnosis or the diagnosis hasn't been presented in a way you relate to it. Or you are not ready for it.

I have never been to a psychiatrist but I have a personality issue (anger) that I didn't realize until recently. I have no idea why I couldn't see it earlier in life. I remember people telling me that I needed to control my anger but I just thought they were completely wrong. Then one day out of nowhere I realized I had anger issues and revisited my memories and realized how wrong I was. Nothing triggered my realization except maybe reading about Jodi Arias(An angry woman who killed her exboyfriend).

I still don't understand why I couldn't see it before or why I was able to see it now. That's why I think you might not be ready for a diagnosis. It is extremely difficult to admit we are less than perfect. That's not narcissism, that's human nature. It goes against our survival instinct. Also experience in life has teached us that when we admit our shortcomings others will use them against us to satisfy their ego or they can be self fulfilling prophecies. Our fear of failing doesn't let us admit our shortcomings. Even reading this forum you can see that. Many posters here are very quick to diagnose and judge others but you never hear them admiting their shortcomings. They only admit to those shortcomings they think are socially acceptable followed by a smiley. "Lol I'm OCD because I have to keep my house clean". So actualy they are just praising themselves.

The only think I can recommed you that I think it has helped it's reading about cognitive dissonance. I think being able to admit to ourselves we can behave irrationaly and analyze our feelings can bring some piece of mind to our Lives It gives the explanations we need to start modifying those behaviors we are not happy with.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 09-27-2013 at 11:20 AM..

Old 09-27-2013, 11:58 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,987,172 times
Quote:
Yes. I waste my life doing things like posting on the internet, watching TV, and eating total junk food. And I can't seem to make myself stop, even if I'm not enjoying it.
And my guess is you don't enjoy it because you think you could be doing something else that will bring you bigger rewards? or because the immediate reward (food) actually has negative consequences long term?

Maybe you can read about delayed gratification and procrastrination? I find this quite interesting:

Delayed gratification, or deferred gratification, is the ability to resist the temptation for an immediate reward and wait for a later reward. Generally, delayed gratification is associated with resisting a smaller but more immediate reward in order to receive a larger or more enduring reward later

Delayed gratification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-27-2013, 05:04 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,234,700 times
Quote:
I've been told I have issues. I do have issues. It is difficult to put a label on my issues. That is why they won't put one on it.

And when they try to after a single 1 hour session, they get it wrong, as proven by my latest shrink.

The thing is every time I try someone new, they seem just as ineffective as the last one. I had a good shrink I thought but then I had to move out of state for work. I had no choice.
If it's always "them" and never "you", it's probably you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology