Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 06:05 AM

14 posts, read 24,027 times

Advertisements

Who is more likely to fall for the gender stereotypes that is displayed in the media(TV, movies,etc)? Men or women.

In my opinion, it is the women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 09:53 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Please expand your Opening statement, it's hard to understand your point. What stereotypes, why do you think they are wrong(you use the word blame) and why do you think women are guilty of it?

Old 10-20-2013, 10:17 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,026 times
What do you mean "fall for"? Are you saying that you think women are more likely to be offended by the stereotypes or that they're more likely to believe they are true? Or are you saying that you think women are more likely to idolize the stereotypes?

Old 10-20-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Please expand your Opening statement, it's hard to understand your point. What stereotypes, why do you think they are wrong(you use the word blame) and why do you think women are guilty of it?
I'm talking about the gender stereotypes; for example: men are slobs and women are dumb.

I'm not blaming anyone, my reason for my choice is that women are more likely to buy into and believe the gender stereotypes is from my experience.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
What do you mean "fall for"? Are you saying that you think women are more likely to be offended by the stereotypes or that they're more likely to believe they are true? Or are you saying that you think women are more likely to idolize the stereotypes?
You have been watching TV and other media for many years and you have seen many of the gender stereotypes that has been displayed.

All I'm asking for is other people opinions and experiences.

Last edited by Mbara2013; 10-20-2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old 10-20-2013, 01:13 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbara2013 View Post
I'm talking about the gender stereotypes; for example: men are slobs and women are dumb.

I'm not blaming anyone, my reason for my choice is that women are more likely to buy into and believe the gender stereotypes is from my experience.
Oh ok you mean using them or agreeing with them? Like saying " he/she behaves X ways because he/she is a male/female?

I think it's about equal. When I hear comments like that I think the person is not that smart and is oversimplifying human behavior or they are attracted to the person they are stereotyping. People that speak like that are not that far from those who believe in Zodiac signs and think 1/12 of the population share the same personality traits.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:50 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbara2013 View Post
Who is more likely to fall for the gender stereotypes that is displayed in the media(TV, movies,etc)? Men or women.

In my opinion, it is the women.
Both.

IME, probably relates more to education level (either real life experience and/or academic) income bracket, and/or personality.

The more ignorant, the more likely one is suseptable to social-media influence (ex- MTV, sports idols, fads, pop culture).

People who are most impressionable are kids, teenagers, low-income to poverty-level families, and those who are brainwashed by mass media and propaganda, or those who (were or were not privileged enough) to go out of their comfort zones to see what's really out there in the real world and in other parts of society. Personality could also be a factor, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology