Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 PM

35,742 posts, read 21,100,137 times

Advertisements

Another shooting in school due to bullying? have parenst NOt taken a look to see whats going on at home with kids? I don't get this? Communication and technology are so available to kids today how come adults do not seem to know whats going on ?? the little gal on CNN said the boy had been bullied... where are the parents? I raised 3 and one was bullied and it was taken care of, whats is happening with our kids?? when will adult become responsible to parent their children? :cry ing:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,935,440 times
These are not isolated incidents, but socially inspired incidents . . .the over-arching culture is "sick," and some families are "sick," resulting in "sick" individuals. No "bullying" program is going to address the sick society.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:33 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,981,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Another shooting in school due to bullying? have parenst NOt taken a look to see whats going on at home with kids? I don't get this? Communication and technology are so available to kids today how come adults do not seem to know whats going on ?? the little gal on CNN said the boy had been bullied... where are the parents? I raised 3 and one was bullied and it was taken care of, whats is happening with our kids?? when will adult become responsible to parent their children? :cry ing:

I think this is the wrong forum for this topic. This probably belongs in the Politics and other Controversies forum.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:04 PM

10,215 posts, read 17,898,044 times
Quote:
Kids can be pretty good at hiding what's going on with them. When I was being bullied in 4th grade, I never told my parents about it. They knew something was wrong but I refused to talk about it and frankly, they were already dealing with my older brother being bullied in a more obvious way (I was being psychologically bullied, he was being bullied both psychologically and physically). On top of that, I knew my mom was dealing with her parents declining health and her sister's selfishness and manipulation (they basically didn't speak for years after the conflict that occurred during this time period). I was a perceptive enough child to know my parents, especially my mom, was already dealing with too much and I couldn't burden her with more. I never told her I was being bullied....at least, not until I was an adult and the topic came up about "that period of time when I was always upset and angry and wouldn't talk to her about it", I finally said "Was that in 4th grade? Oh yeah, I was being bullied."

There are many other reasons a child might not open up to their parents. I know at the time I also felt ashamed and guilty. I know now how irrational that was but at the time, I just wanted to pretend that it wasn't happening whenever I could. Home was my refuge, a place to get away from the bullying.

Granted, I didn't pick up a gun and shoot anyone but in general, with the issue of bullying and parents not knowing about it, it's just not as simple as blaming the parents for not being responsible or involved enough with their children. My parents were great parents and I do not blame them for not finding out that I was being bullied. It was not their fault.

And particularly when it comes to teenagers who DO pick up a gun and shoot people - at some point, you have to stop blaming the parents and hold an individual responsible for their own actions. As human beings, we have free will and we can not blame our choices entirely on the influence of others.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:38 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,077,657 times
It's still happening because no one can do anything about it. Kids know when to do it when no one's watching, so if teachers cannot first hand witness it, they throw up their hands and so it continues...

Old 10-22-2013, 03:59 PM

993 posts, read 1,562,327 times
You say this like bullying is something new or on the rise. I don't believe for a second that there is any more bullying today than there was in the past. The only difference is that there's a new medium on which it can occur: the internet. Same goes with discussion of bullying: you only hear about so much now because there are so many more platforms (blogs, forums, "news" websites, social media) on which people can talk about it and observe it.

Most parents handle it the best that they can, but you don't hear their stories because they're not as sensational as the ones with tragic endings.

Cheer up. You've just got to do the best that you can do with your own kids, and realize that, sadly, there will always be a small number of parents who just can't (or worse, choose not to) be there for their children.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:02 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,509,929 times
There was horrible bullying years ago and there still is today. All that anti-bullying stuff the schools run does not help one bit.
Years ago one of my sons was bullied on the school bus - I got right on the bus and told everyone there not to mess with my son or they will answer to me. He was never bullied again. Looking back I was lucky I did not get in trouble for going on the bus which parents are not allowed to do. If this did not work I planned to find out who the parents lived and knocking on their front door to discuss their little darling.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:15 AM

35,742 posts, read 21,100,137 times
quote((I think this is the wrong forum for this topic. This probably belongs in the Politics and other Controversies forum.)

I think my question is NOT political! and I was bullied and in no way tell my parents, but I watched my kids to make sure they weren't the bullys, or being attacked. Has it gotten worse or better? I'd say the same, my question and I have had that question for years why are there bullys? Ok drunk pop, crazy mom, but many are coming from decent homes?? -and Kids now think a shootout is the answer? We used to duke it out behind the school or at the playground, that little gal lost alot of hair one day,,, but now kids got to jail n get a record for that. So how do kids deal with it? Parents should be more aware in recognizing these things just like child abuse. What was NOT talked about during my era, is now- so I dont get it.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,127,566 times
Quote:
quote((I think this is the wrong forum for this topic. This probably belongs in the Politics and other Controversies forum.)

I think my question is NOT political! and I was bullied and in no way tell my parents, but I watched my kids to make sure they weren't the bullys, or being attacked. Has it gotten worse or better? I'd say the same, my question and I have had that question for years why are there bullys? Ok drunk pop, crazy mom, but many are coming from decent homes?? -and Kids now think a shootout is the answer? We used to duke it out behind the school or at the playground, that little gal lost alot of hair one day,,, but now kids got to jail n get a record for that. So how do kids deal with it? Parents should be more aware in recognizing these things just like child abuse. What was NOT talked about during my era, is now- so I dont get it.

IMO most kids get bullied at one time or another. The new thing is to "fix" it with a gun.

My initial questions would be: Why do kids have access to guns? Why do kids think their answer to being bullied lies in using a gun?

Old 10-24-2013, 03:18 AM

25 posts, read 55,035 times
Default drugged televidiot zombie apocalypse

Quote:
could it be SATAN??????????????????????????????????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology