Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 01:56 PM

280 posts, read 686,346 times

Advertisements

There is so much academic scholarship (including books and even television programs) on narcissism--perhaps moreso than other negative personality traits.

Why are we so interested in learning about narcissism? What does our collective interest say about our society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 01:58 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
There is so much academic scholarship (including books and even television programs) on narcissism--perhaps moreso than other negative personality traits.

Why are we so interested in learning about narcissism? What does our collective interest say about our society?
Probably because we perceive our competitive, individualistic culture as a breeding ground for narcissists. That, and the perception by many that they have been harmed by narcissistic people.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
Because that's what the majority of US culture is based upon........I have better than you oh no the jones now have better than me I better trade up or buy more. I am not complete unless I have the newest crap from HSN. The scary truth................ narcissism is what keeps the country going. 70% of our GDP is based on consumer spending.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,932,345 times
Quote:

Because we're narcissistic?

Old 05-23-2013, 05:04 AM

936 posts, read 2,062,122 times
Quote:

Narcissists don't generally come in for treatment--THEY just fine, it's everyone else who has a problem, right?--yet they cause a lot of damage to other people. So there's a lot of interest in why these people can't or won't see the damage they do, and how to handle them when they start causing damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Because that's what the majority of US culture is based upon........I have better than you oh no the jones now have better than me I better trade up or buy more. I am not complete unless I have the newest crap from HSN. The scary truth................ narcissism is what keeps the country going. 70% of our GDP is based on consumer spending.
Most macroeconomies have consumption spending make up a high percentage of GDP. That doesn't indicate anything about narcissism.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:16 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,675,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Probably because we perceive our competitive, individualistic culture as a breeding ground for narcissists.
This could be literally true. From what I have seen, narcissism grants certain advantages in the dating world so they are literally breeding the next generation of narcissists.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Narcissism is supposedly at epidemic proportions in the US. If true, it is probably a good idea to study it. However studying it can be bad too. A relative started studying it and have become convinced that every person she has ever encountered is a narcissist.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:32 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Narcissism is supposedly at epidemic proportions in the US. If true, it is probably a good idea to study it. However studying it can be bad too. A relative started studying it and have become convinced that every person she has ever encountered is a narcissist.
You made me laugh out loud. Because it's so true. We start researching a mental illness or a personality disorder and one of two things happen: We think we've have the illness/disorder (which pretty much rules out our being a narcissist) or we think everyone else has that illness/disorder.

All I know is this:

The APA came out not long ago with a statement saying that women over 50 are the fastest growing segment of narcissism in The US. I've tried to find anything about that statement again since I first read it, and I haven't been able to. And I can't even remember if the APA had a theory as to why it believes that to be true. But -- secondly -- that statement made sense to me because:

I'm almost 65 and have been retired over 7 years now. I've met a lot of women 60+ in the past 7 years. If I ask, "How are you" or "Tell me a little about yourself" -- MOST women are still talking -- nonstop -- about themselves two hours later: Their history from the time they were born, their family (up to and including their third cousin twice removed), their college degrees (I love it -- they usually lie), their work history (another lie), and their GREAT accomplishments (more lies).** I once went on an all-day drive around NM with the wife of a politician, and she spent 11 hours talking non-stop about herself.

In 7 years I've met two women (now close friends) with whom I've been able to have an actual conversation with. Two women -- just TWO -- who have been interested in learning a little about me too. Two women who can talk about current events. Two women for whom life is not 'all about me'.

**Note to narcissists: In this day and age of the Internet and LinkedIn -- if you're going to lie about your background, you had better not tell the truth on LinkedIn. Makes it WAY too easy to check up and see if the other person is telling the truth.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:40 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
LOL, when I read my first book about sociopaths, I saw sociopaths everywhere. Then I retrenched and thought about it some more. I realized many times behaviors are sociopathic but don't mean the actor is an actual sociopath, and that sociopathic tendencies can be emblematic of other problems but don't necessarily indicate someone is a full-blown sociopath. Yet, even when I calmed myself down and started re-examining, I still realized that there were far more sociopaths hanging around than I'd previously suspected.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,275 times
Default Narcissism is Scary

Narcissism is scary because it creeps into a relationship stealthily. One day you realize you are truly, madly, deeply in love with a person who only sees you as a commodity. Your value diminishes as they become accustomed to you. They need to move on to the next thing...meaning another person usually. If they can't or won't leave you, they make you miserable. Narcissists can easily become suicidal and they are quite likely to kill their loved ones because they think their loved ones belong to them like property.

I don't think that narcissism is any more prevalent than in the past. If you think about how societies typically treat women and have done since earliest human history, I suspect narcissism is a very human trait...especially among men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology