Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:58 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,142,222 times

Advertisements

No. Not selfish at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:00 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,402,060 times
I think that having children is selfish. Oh look, just what the world needs, another version of me. Here's a picture. Isn't it adorable?

Old 12-23-2013, 10:13 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,626,180 times
Yes, I agree with GoodLife: you are making a responsible choice.

Also, if things get better for you at a later time, there is always foster care or adoption!

Given all the abuse I've seen, I wish more people had said no to having children.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:46 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,816,297 times
I never felt that I have to have kids biological urge. My MIL gave me a hard time about not wanting to supply her with future play things. She was very disrespectful of our wishes as my husband never wanted kids either. It's not selfish it's just the way you're wired. I have this thing for animals much to my husbands dismay. I would much rather have that black rabbit with the floppy ears that he won't let me have then have a baby.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times
In my earlier years I always thought kids were a pain in the butt and why would i ever want to burden myself with them,as time went on i got married and shortly thereafter we were parents to a beautiful baby girl,not long after we had another beautiful baby girl, while kids can be a handfull at times its not all negatives,watching them grow is a joy for me,all the things you do with them and the places you go and the other parents you meet is very rewarding, now i derive much pleasure watching their lives unfold as they head out in the world to make lives of their own.
At this point i couldnt imagine a life without them, its nice to know that they will always have fond memories of Mom and Dad and can have many stories to tell of this and that and experiences they gained.
At 66yrs old the kids give my life relevance,it gives my life a sense of continuance after i'm gone.
Those friends of mine who chose not to have kids seem to be missing something in their lives that only a full family can bring and those that are divorced or for whatever reason live alone i just dont understand how they endure the loneliness of living a life all by themselves..
While for some its a good idea to not have kids and others in their youth may not relish the thought of having kids be aware that as one ages different ways of thinking occur and what may not be plausible in your youth may become very enjoyable as you get older..

Old 12-24-2013, 04:10 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,552,387 times
NO, it is NOT selfish.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:17 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,961,338 times
No. It's stupid to get pressured into having children if you don't want them. Not fair to the kids.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:48 AM

106 posts, read 107,871 times
No. There are seven billion of us, so yeah a few not having children matters.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:03 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,594,778 times
People really need to stop believing that it is always wrong to be selfish. Yes sure maybe choosing not to have children is considered selfish by those who wish to benefit from your procreating but then they are being selfish for wanting you to do something that you don't want to do in order to please themselves. Maybe it is a selfish choice or maybe the choice is based on well thought out reasoning as to health and emotional issues not to mention living situations and finances.

You don't owe anyone an explanation as to why you choose not to reproduce. That decision is yours alone. Just also keep in mind that if you enter a committed relationship that you and your partner share that choice.

You don't owe your parents anything. Certainly you don't owe them grandchildren.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:16 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,843,311 times
No. It's selfish to have kids when you lack the resources to care for them, as so many do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology