Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 05:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Is it mostly just a regional/cultural thing, or is it more linked to personality type? What would be the foibles, vulnerabilities, and weaknesses of such a person? I mean aside from wasting energy due to all the excess side-to-side motion, and perhaps ankle-knee-joint problems later in life.

I'm not talking about the normal guy who walks with a little extra pep after he wins the big game, gets the big date, etc. I'm talking about the guy whose entire torso seems to rotate almost 180 degrees, usually with elbows jutting out, just walking to go to the restroom or to go to lunch.

Anyone have any insight for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 08:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
They're saying.."look at me"..and it usually works.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:28 AM

106 posts, read 107,645 times
for the hell of it.

why would you want to know his weaknesses anyhow? how is what he is doing bothering you?

Old 12-24-2013, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accencao View Post
for the hell of it.

why would you want to know his weaknesses anyhow? how is what he is doing bothering you?
I'm in a situation where I will have to be regularly negotiating with and working with such a person. If swagger is an attention grab, maybe flattery could be effective. Any other tips/tricks?

Old 12-24-2013, 04:34 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Depends. There are some places where you have to act tough as a defensive measure.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:08 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Is it mostly just a regional/cultural thing, or is it more linked to personality type? What would be the foibles, vulnerabilities, and weaknesses of such a person? I mean aside from wasting energy due to all the excess side-to-side motion, and perhaps ankle-knee-joint problems later in life.

I'm not talking about the normal guy who walks with a little extra pep after he wins the big game, gets the big date, etc. I'm talking about the guy whose entire torso seems to rotate almost 180 degrees, usually with elbows jutting out, just walking to go to the restroom or to go to lunch.

Arrrrrrgh! you mean like a pirate?! By the powers! I'd be half a mind to keel haul any bilge-suckin' squiffy that carried on in such manner.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:32 PM

936 posts, read 2,060,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

You've already chosen your answer by deciding that his posture and gait are a swagger. Just characterizing it as a "swagger" implies an answer.

How well do you really know this guy? Reading into movement habits is difficult without knowing a lot about the person and the context.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
You've already chosen your answer by deciding that his posture and gait are a swagger. Just characterizing it as a "swagger" implies an answer.

How well do you really know this guy? Reading into movement habits is difficult without knowing a lot about the person and the context.
No this was not a decision on my part. Actually I had not even noticed it until the other day when I was walking behind him 30 feet, both of us on our way into the same building on a cold, dark, rainy morning. I said to myself, hey that guy walks with a definite swagger; I wonder who it is. Then I caught up to him and found out.

His is not a very pronounced swagger. I guess the easiest way to describe it is excess shoulder rotation. If you watch most people walk, their energy is directed towards forward progress, which is after all the point of walking.

Actually I know 2 guys right now who walk like this. I think the post by Bideshi may have nailed it. Maybe both of them grew up in circumstances where they had to project toughness. Who knows?

Old 12-25-2013, 10:06 PM

284 posts, read 640,959 times
what do you consider "swagger"?

Old 12-25-2013, 10:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
confidence projected aka impression management, is very attractive to many.
they call these people sheep.
the fact that he is a confident failure does not seem to make much difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology