Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:19 AM

211 posts, read 341,591 times

Advertisements

I interface with actual, living and breathing rocket scientists in the aerospace industry. There are plenty of people with tattoo's who have done really cool things like work satellite projects. I think generalizations like this do have their uses, but in this case what meaningful statement can you make? It's not like making a generalization that white males are more likely to get leukemia; with that you can then try to figure out why that is and potentially make some advancement in leukemia treatments. Since having a tattoo is not a condition that needs treatment, then carrying around a generalization like this is just baggage that manifests itself in the form of prejudice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 12:32 AM

819 posts, read 1,415,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Completely disagree. I'm in a Master's degree program and a lot of my peers have tattoos. Tattoos are no indicator of intelligence. I don't have one myself but I have plenty of people that are widely considered intelligent who have tattoos.
I have an engineering degree and can't say I saw anyone with a tattoo while in school nor do I see any in my group of friends now, and I hang out with a lot of engineers outside of work when we aren't all in business attire. My wife is a medical doctor and knows of no one who did med school or residency or fellowship with her that has a tattoo. We hang out with a lot of MD friends on her side; no tats there either. I would suspect different degrees attract different types of minds, and liberal arts degrees are far more likely to have tattooed students in attendance so it's more a matter of mindset than intelligence.

Now, that being said, I may not agree with the OP's hypothesis, but I will say that I think a lot of dumb people have tattoos so perhaps that is what lead him or her to that conclusion. Just watch an episode of Cops or your local news broadcast; seems like most people doing dumb things or giving unintelligible interviews to reporters as eye witnesses tend to have tattoos and a propensity for wearing tank tops.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:04 AM

487 posts, read 750,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

Btw, how do you know those colleagues weren't tattooed under their clothing? As I said above, you wouldn't know I was heavily tattooed unless I showed you... but even visible tats aren't unusual among professionals here, like one of my colleagues whose entire chest/collarbone is covered in a beautiful banner.
That's exactly why I said I had not seen any tats on the physicists. They certainly could be, but they do not seem swayed by fashion (or convention for that matter). They don't seem to be interested in stuff like that. And I'm neither pro, nor anti-tat. I don't have them, but I don't care if other people do.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:19 AM

558 posts, read 1,123,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Anyone disagree with this? Sure there's exceptions, but as a rule I'd say that people who cover themselves with tattoos are sadly lacking in many areas.
Metallica are tattooed and they have the brains to market and build a corporation that is worth half a billion dollars, as are many other artists. Your generalization would have been appropriate in the 1950's, today it does not hold true.
I have no tattoos and lots of tattooed people are waaaay smarter and successful than me.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:48 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,423,587 times
Given that I've worked with some incredibly intelligent people who were heavily tattooed, I'd have to disagree and question the OP's capacity for logic. I graduated at the top of my high school class at an elite private school. I went on to graduate from an Ivy League college. I have worked at some of the best-known companies in the country. I don't generally hang around with dummies. My friends may span every socioeconomic group, but the one thing that really ties them together is the fact that they are almost all highly intelligent - whether it be academically, emotionally or artistically.

I also have quite a few friends who are heavily tattooed. The ones that stand out include a former Marine who never bothered to get a college degree but worked his way into a solid management job with an international firm, a veterinarian who is pursuing her second advanced degree and a young woman who loves "old school" tattoos and has an impressive management job with an insurance firm.

If you want to use tattoos to judge people, you might want to instead consider WHAT they get tattooed on them rather than how large or numerous the tattoos are. For myself, guys who have their fraternity letters or the Tasmanian Devil or their sports team tattooed on them somewhere are immediately put in the "no date" category unless they prove themselves to be otherwise exceptional. I can't date anyone with that much lack of imagination. But who knows what the back story is on those tattoos? I generally try to find out.

My own fairly small tattoo? I knew what I wanted for 5 years before I got it. I spent much of that time researching the particular artistic style, and I was lucky enough to find a very enthusiastic tattoo artist who was fascinated by the style I wanted and went out of his way to read up on it. Almost 15 years later, even now that it is a little faded and even though it's not that elaborate, I still get compliments from random strangers of all ages and backgrounds who recognize the style and think it's beautiful. Heck, even my own grandmother - who hated tattoos with a passion - was disturbed by the fact that she liked it.

We live in a world where excessive mutilation for the sake of beauty is not at all unheard of - from African tribes stretching women's necks with rings to actual plastic surgery. Tattoos are fairly noninvasive and uncomplicated in comparison (and with fewer health complications if done properly) and they allow for a limitless degree of personal self-expression. To use the mere presence or size of a tattoo as short-hand for assessing a person's character is very limiting - for the person doing the judging.

For myself, I have found the presence of my tattoo to be very helpful. I'm not going to want to date people who are that short-sighted that the actual presence of a tattoo turns them off without even knowing the person. On my online dating profile, I make it very clear that I have a tattoo and may get more. It's a great filter.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:47 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,373,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Nonsense. One of the smartest people I know has her back completely covered with a beautiful tattoo. Here where I work seeing a tattoo is rare because they are done in less conspicuous places covered by clothing, but people with advanced degrees making 6 figure incomes have them.
True! Tattoos are now very mainstream and even 80-90 year old senior citizens get tattoos. It is not about intelligence, but there is a minority that will not get a tattoo.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:49 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,284,577 times
Maybe people who tatoo their faces aren't all that bright lol! I have one, but made sure it wouldn't be visible when wearing a short sleeved shirt, in order to maintain a professional look at work.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
To be fair, most senior citizens with tattoos acquired the tattoos when they were young, so they were "cool" before the current generation even knew what cool was.
I disagree. A lot of folks over 60 are now getting their first tattoo. That is a sign that tattoos are not cool anymore.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
For myself, I have found the presence of my tattoo to be very helpful. I'm not going to want to date people who are that short-sighted that the actual presence of a tattoo turns them off without even knowing the person. On my online dating profile, I make it very clear that I have a tattoo and may get more. It's a great filter.
Many non-tattoo folks will never date a tattooed person. You are throwing away a huge segment of the dating pool.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:55 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,284,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Many non-tattoo folks will never date a tattooed person. You are throwing away a huge segment of the dating pool.
And then some of us find them sexy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology