Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 10:03 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,371,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

No, I do not. Care to tell us? If you're going to say the upper class (which is how I was raised), I have evidence in front of my eyes that you are 100% wrong... and I could pull a dozen or so more examples, just from my own family and social circle alone.

I'm guessing many of the posters here are not from California/Pacific Coast, since as someone said above, these attitudes shift greatly the farther west you go. Even as a librarian I wear jeans to work every day, have colleagues with purple & blue hair, tattoos, piercings, etc, and nobody seems to care much about it. Ahhh, thanks for reminding me why I won't move back to the east coast (where I was born) ever again.

You are a product of your own environment. It is not about class or intelligence. It is about MEMES. You are similar to your peers.

Quote:
I'd hardly call a thousands-year-old tradition a "fad," even when referring to their existence in Western culture (which goes back at least a century). It might be more COMMON these days, but people have been getting tattooed forever.
I get the tribal thing and have seen the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazines. MEMES are passed from generation to generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:04 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,371,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
And then some of us find them sexy.
Birds of the same feather fly together.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:04 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,144,249 times
I do think some people overdo it. I do not consider it as a sign of intelligence, no matter how stupid I feel it is.

But than again I am very conservative.

DO I LOOK TOO CONSERVATIVE?

No matter what my personal feelings are about that Picture SOURCE, I would not use tattoos as a guide to a person's intelligence. For all I know that person might be a genius but very opposed to conformity.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:18 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,327,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I disagree. A lot of folks over 60 are now getting their first tattoo. That is a sign that tattoos are not cool anymore.
I've seen only a very small minority of seniors with tattoos. I have a lot of relatives who are seniors, and the city in which I live has a large senior demographic, and I see very few tattoos in either group. But almost every other younger person (20s/30s) I see has a tattoo. And when it comes to cool -- who determines what's 'cool' or not? Is young age the main requirement for membership in the so-called 'cool fraternity'? I think coolness is all relative; based in part on age, gender, geography, social group, etc.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:25 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,327,140 times
Quote:
Many non-tattoo folks will never date a tattooed person. You are throwing away a huge segment of the dating pool.
Yeah, that screening tool can be used in reverse. I would not date a woman with any large, obvious tattoo; it just seems a little tacky (to me). That's my own personal belief. And I know there are a lot of non-trashy women who simply enjoy body art, so it's wrong of me to equate tattoos with trashy women. But my bias exists; I just don't like big or multiple tattoos on women; to me it's defacement that looks trashy at the superficial level. I think it's just as bad on guys, but I'm talking about women here.

A small ankle tattoo or something small and inconspicuous -- maybe.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:20 PM

31,173 posts, read 22,204,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
I have an engineering degree and can't say I saw anyone with a tattoo while in school nor do I see any in my group of friends now, and I hang out with a lot of engineers outside of work when we aren't all in business attire. My wife is a medical doctor and knows of no one who did med school or residency or fellowship with her that has a tattoo. We hang out with a lot of MD friends on her side; no tats there either. I would suspect different degrees attract different types of minds, and liberal arts degrees are far more likely to have tattooed students in attendance so it's more a matter of mindset than intelligence.

Now, that being said, I may not agree with the OP's hypothesis, but I will say that I think a lot of dumb people have tattoos so perhaps that is what lead him or her to that conclusion. Just watch an episode of Cops or your local news broadcast; seems like most people doing dumb things or giving unintelligible interviews to reporters as eye witnesses tend to have tattoos and a propensity for wearing tank tops.
Aerospace Engineer here and the majority of the people I work with do not, nor did many who I went to school with, ME and Aero. I would say that half of our Design Engineers do have Tattoos and or piercings, so there appears to be a tie in wrt chosen career. I'm sure the lions share of Engineers and Docs don't. About 60% of my friends outside of work have some sort of ink that work in a variety of different industries. Most are musically inclined so I'm sure theres a tie in there.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 04-23-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 12:25 PM

31,173 posts, read 22,204,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I do think some people overdo it. I do not consider it as a sign of intelligence, no matter how stupid I feel it is.

But than again I am very conservative.

DO I LOOK TOO CONSERVATIVE?

No matter what my personal feelings are about that Picture SOURCE, I would not use tattoos as a guide to a person's intelligence. For all I know that person might be a genius but very opposed to conformity.
Or is a Comformist amongst his chosen group. To each his own.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:29 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,144,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Or is a Comformist amongst his chosen group

Hmmm, come to think of it Non-conformists do tend to conform to each other.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:55 PM

304 posts, read 1,020,616 times
I think the original generalization only somewhat applies in extreme cases (forehead tattoos, misspellings, foul language, hate speech, etc.), lots of intelligent people I know have them so this is far from a blanket statement as many have already said.

I do not have or ever plan on getting a tattoo but have no problem with people that do have them.

I will say I think it's interesting when someone gets a tattoo and says it's "for personal expression" but gets in a place that most of the public won't ever see (wherever dress and casual clothing typically covers men and women).

They want people at the beach to see they love their mom, son, NY Yankees, Star Wars, etc. in their bathing suit but not the people at work or the Cheesecake Factory...kind of a "selective" expression, no?

I know you can say that it's because it's "not mainstream accepted in most corporate environments" and it likely can hinder getting a job but if they are always covered up, how will that mentality ever change?

I'm curious how many people with these types of partially-hidden tattoos would have instead gotten them in a more visible location if there was no disdain for them being shown in all types of workplaces and society in general.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:03 PM

30,429 posts, read 52,056,515 times
Quote:
Many non-tattoo folks will never date a tattooed person. You are throwing away a huge segment of the dating pool.
Since I have bigger goals in life than to find a man, that really doesn't concern me too much... and here in the Bay Area, that does not seem to be entirely true. Of all the men I've dated in the past, only a few had any tattoos. Besides, it's a good way for me to screen out judgmental stereotypers like the OP (and a few others here).

The last man I dated was completely non-tattooed, and asked me on our first date if I had any. I tentatively said "yes, quite a few - is that a problem?" He was like "no, I actually think they look sexy on a woman like you." Knew he was a good match then! Unfortunately it didn't work out for other reasons, but he was one of the least judgy men I've met in a long time. He didn't even care that I was a smoker (he's a non-smoker), which is extremely unusual around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology