Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 08:20 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
Just out of curiosity what is MRA? I'm afraid to do a Google search on it.

Men's Rights Activists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 08:29 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
Just out of curiosity what is MRA? I'm afraid to do a Google search on it.
It's kind of funny, actually. They are a group of men who support the traditional feminist positions around divorce -- that child custody and alimony should not be based on gender, etc. -- except they are rabidly anti-feminist.

If you read further, you will see that many of the MRA guys say divorce should be illegal, though. They particularly emphasise that women should not be allowed to initiate divorce. And many of them publicly admit to having been charged and/or convicted of spousal abuse or child abuse.

Many of the prominent PUA posters are also active on MRA sites, and vice versa. Collectively PUA and MRA together call themselves the 'manosphere'.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:59 PM

589 posts, read 639,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
It does. He was quite involved with the PUA/MRA community, according to news reports.

No it does not. Did anyone else from those communities go on a shooting spree? You're being ignorant.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:03 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,695 times
Actually, a twitter feed led me to this site which the comments claim he comes from some kind of "wizard" forum:

Elliot Rodger's Final Videos, Misogynistic and Racist Postings Leaked

For an added bonus, the SJWs are on full-on zerg rush mode right now:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...ement-Syndrome

Take from it what you will.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I just read the chilling transcripts from a video posted by the Santa Barbara killer. I was struck by how eerily similar his rhetoric is to some of the young guys who post here. I understand he also posted at bodybuilding.com like many of the guys that come here lamenting the fact that they can't "get a female."

Of course my post title is facetious. But I wonder if getting enmeshed in an Internet community where such ideas are supported may be perpetuating the isolation and disconnection to reality. What can we in our own lives do? If anything?

Transcript of the disturbing video 'Elliot Rodger's Retribution'*-*Los Angeles Times
My reaction in hearing his story was: smart girls. I bet most their comments was "creepy" who he talked about who meet him.But then there are also women like that.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:31 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,121,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
No it does not. Did anyone else from those communities go on a shooting spree? You're being ignorant.
She probably fell for a guy spouting the PUA mantra and got burned.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:39 PM

867 posts, read 909,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
It's kind of funny, actually. They are a group of men who support the traditional feminist positions around divorce -- that child custody and alimony should not be based on gender, etc. -- except they are rabidly anti-feminist.

If you read further, you will see that many of the MRA guys say divorce should be illegal, though. They particularly emphasise that women should not be allowed to initiate divorce. And many of them publicly admit to having been charged and/or convicted of spousal abuse or child abuse.

Many of the prominent PUA posters are also active on MRA sites, and vice versa. Collectively PUA and MRA together call themselves the 'manosphere'.
Thank you Ms. NilaJones for clarifying that, the things I learn on City Data. I don't know anything about MRA, thankfully. I'm not even going to go to those sites to find out.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:09 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
He'd had problems with males, including a roommate and general bullying. He was messed-up and creepy and I wouldn't expect women to date him.

But what also is messed-up is the title of the thread. Is what happened funny? I don't know if most lonely men think the women they like should date them, but I'm sure many of them are frustrated with common female behaviors and attitudes. Rejecting in nasty ways, shooting down guys very fast for not creating instant sparks, using men for free drinks or free meals, having ridiculous standards (e.g., being average-looking and expecting a rich stud), using Facebook and online dating for pseudo-companionship and ego-feeding, putting little real effort into being attractive (e.g., obesity, enmeshment with moms, and cat-hoarding), giving disingenuous dating-related advice to men, etc. Those are things the sisterhood should address, lest other guys violently lash out or probably directly or indirectly kill just themselves at high rates. Men are doing many things wrong, too, by the way, and perhaps also some genetically lousy men (like the Santa Barbara shooter) never should have been born. The sexes can get along better with each other, if enough people make the effort.

Last edited by goodheathen; 05-24-2014 at 10:19 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 10:18 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,655 times
Looks like that shooter wasn't playing with a full deck to start with.

Take heed of self proclaimed "nice guys".

Old 05-24-2014, 10:20 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
I can assure you, as someone much older than the shooter, someone who has a life-long history of failure in the love department, homicide has never crossed my mind.

I suspect this kid would have carried out a heinous act anyway, regardless of the source of his anger. If not lack of sex, something else would have triggered his mental instability at some point.
I doubt it. Being cut out of the gene pool is hardly a minor thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology