Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 03:29 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times

Advertisements

I just read the chilling transcripts from a video posted by the Santa Barbara killer. I was struck by how eerily similar his rhetoric is to some of the young guys who post here. I understand he also posted at bodybuilding.com like many of the guys that come here lamenting the fact that they can't "get a female."

Of course my post title is facetious. But I wonder if getting enmeshed in an Internet community where such ideas are supported may be perpetuating the isolation and disconnection to reality. What can we in our own lives do? If anything?

Transcript of the disturbing video 'Elliot Rodger's Retribution'*-*Los Angeles Times

Quote:
"I'm 22 years old and still a virgin, never even kissed a girl. And through college, 2 1/2 years, more than that actually, I'm still a virgin. It has been very torturous.

College is the time when everyone experiences those things such as sex and fun and pleasure. In those years I've had to rot in loneliness, it's not fair.

You girls have never been attracted to me. I don't know why you girls aren't attracted to me but I will punish you all for it. It's an injustice, a crime because I don't know what you don't see in me, I'm the perfect guy and yet you throw yourselves at all these obnoxious men instead of me, the supreme gentleman. I will punish all of you for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 03:34 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
This oversexed society is what sets them up to think like that.

Don't get me wrong, they are entirely responsible for their own actions. What I am saying is, is that guys are basically conditioned to think if you are still a virgin by a certain age or haven't kissed a female by a certain age there is something seriously wrong with you. It sets up that type of mindset, and in the wrong minds it can lead to disasters like this.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:39 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,006,311 times
This is why no one wants a "nice guy." They claim to be all these great things - "a supreme gentleman" - yet they are none of those.

A gentleman would never gun down a group of people for not liking him.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:40 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times
That whole rant about being an alpha male was chilling. That whole "alpha male " thing is something i read a lot about here on CD. Shivers.

He's actually a fairly attractive guy, so girls must have been creeped out by his personality. He is a sick and twisted individual. He was a member of PUAhate

There are lots of inexperienced virgins males who would never do this thankfully.

Last edited by Meyerland; 05-24-2014 at 03:56 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 04:30 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,074 times
The percentage of young males who are frustrated about lack of attention from females who actually do something like this is EXTREMELY small. I take exception for being implicitly blamed for the actions of a psychopath simply because I've expressed my frustration on city-data.

I am NOT dangerous, and society does NOT have to be protected from me.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:32 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
This is why no one wants a "nice guy." They claim to be all these great things - "a supreme gentleman" - yet they are none of those.

A gentleman would never gun down a group of people for not liking him.
You're saying that "nice guys" are like this guy? That is an insult. This was a psychopath. I'm a nice guy who finishes last, and I will NOT be compared to this murderer.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:36 PM

854 posts, read 1,141,242 times
The idea that because someone is an adult male virgin he is somehow dangerous to society is ridiculous. This guy had mental issues, nothing else. I would rather be a virgin than act like some of these so called players who have children with different mothers. That is what is harming society, fatherless children. Not adult virgins. One in four teen girls now have an STD, the result of being promiscuous and uneducated, also no male role model. Being a virgin has nothing at all with being a man or a woman. Most players depend on using other people to get what they want. Over sexed culture now brought up to think they aren't normal unless they start having sexual relations when their in grade school. Thank the media and people with no morals. I could have had sex with tons of women in college but I only chose one because the rest were passed around more than a joint, gross. I guess I have just had the advantage of not caring what other people thought or said about me. Most of those people are sad on the inside and that's why they make fun of others because of insignificant differences.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...3-11-std_n.htm

Last edited by bad apples; 05-24-2014 at 05:00 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 04:51 PM

694 posts, read 745,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
This oversexed society is what sets them up to think like that.

Don't get me wrong, they are entirely responsible for their own actions. What I am saying is, is that guys are basically conditioned to think if you are still a virgin by a certain age or haven't kissed a female by a certain age there is something seriously wrong with you. It sets up that type of mindset, and in the wrong minds it can lead to disasters like this.
Agreed. This IS an oversexed society and it DOES lead to a lot of problems. I am 45 years old. I was a virgin until age 31, and the Earth didn't crack!! I am now married, 11 years, and have an 8yo son. Life doesn't have to start in HS, people.

Charles Sands

Old 05-24-2014, 04:51 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Mental disorders need to be diagnosed in an early stage.Too many getting through.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:53 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brofessional View Post
Ok internet do good er the females will now have sex with you.
Uh have you seen him?

Yes please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology