Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 07:00 PM

46 posts, read 124,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Anything is possible...just asking the question. I just don't understand why men want to have a long conversation naked with other naked men whether in the hot tub, sitting on locker benches, or sauna (although that makes at least some sense). I prefer naked women.
You have a big association between nudity and sex.

In Russia and South Korea, although it did take me a little getting used to, there are saunas where men go to have naked conversations. In my experiences there, the conversations were mostly personal with maybe a little business thrown in. And these aren't places where it's a 15 min get in and get out lol. You shower first, then maybe get a scrub down, then you sit or lay in a sauna type room, and you rinse off again and go to a giant, freezing bath tub. And you're pretty much naked the whole time. I was with a group of men, and we talked throughout that time.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:05 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Most guys in the gym changing rooms walk around with a towel wrapped around them between the shower and the locker. Its only a few characters walk around stark naked.

They'd likely do the same on the street if they could, they are just.... differently acculturated. More Amazon Indian/nudist.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:32 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
The HOT tub soaking reminded me of my time in Japan 1951.

There was this wooden tub over a fire that was filled with very HOT water. Procedure was to disrobe completely when a female in a 2pc bathing suit (sorta) would pour some warm water over you while your standing next to the tub. She then proceeded to wash you with soap. (My aunt did this when bathing me and my cousins in the farmhouse kitchen from a large tub on the floor...was 4-5 at the time). Anyway she then poured some warm water over you to remove all of the soap and then you climbed into that Hot tub of water and the skin would turn RED. After a bit of soaking you climbed out and she then would pour COLD water over you. You can imagine what that does to you.

All I can say is those times were a real treatment in opening the pores of your skin and made you feel really clean/refreshed.

With the above procedure more then one person is able to use the Hot tub in this manner as the water stays clean for the next persons bath.

You might say that a steam bath could accomplish the same results......possible yes.... w/o the girl.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:20 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post

It's cultural for the older generation of men; they don't have the hangups that the younger generation has.
I agree. As an aging graying "baby boomer" who sees retirement looming on the horizon in about 5 or 6 years, I must say things were different back in the day. In Junior and Senior High School we were required to take "Phys. Ed." Afterwards we showered communally and it was no big deal.

I have a theory - and I may very well be wrong - but during the Vietnam War Era (and before like during the Korean War which was before I was born) - that "society" wanted us boys to get used to the idea of getting naked and showering with other boys so we would would be used to it by the time we were conscripted into the armed forces. We horsed around in the showers. We were not ashamed of our bodies. We went skinning dipping outside too. Even YMCAs required boys to swim naked if there were no females around ... right up to the late 1960's I think.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:11 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,208,790 times
Some comments on this thread: In my many years of going to the gym on a regular basis, I have noticed, as the original poster has, that there are some guys (and it is almost exclusively older out of shape guys) that spend a lot more time hanging around naked in the locker room then they do actually working out. I have come to the same conclusion as some others in this thread, that many (notice I didn't say 'all') of these men are closeted gay or bisexual men. They are never flamboyant types, always older accountant/salesman type guys that one would not identify as gay. I don't think they are looking for a hookup, I just think are looking for some eye candy to day dream about. Sure there could be other reasons for this odd behavior, and gay or not it is odd behavior, but I can't think of any other reason, and I have not read any other credible reasons in this thread. Then there is the other end of the spectrum... the young guy that is so homophobic that he is incapable of using a urinal next to another man, so he has to **** in the stall and sprays all over the seat, but that is a different subject.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:41 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,382,750 times
Okay childish people. Being nude among your fellow man ( and women ) is not a problem. Okay. Many gyms, basically have a shared shower, as well as steam rooms. Exposing yourself inside the locker or steam room ( may it be man or woman ) is not a big deal. So grow up and get over your paranoia. Life is short so grow up.

The only men who are cry babies about being nude among other men is cry babies. If you don't like what you see then turn the other way around.

If this was Korea ( or some other Eastern nations ), young children in art class have models that they draw, both male and female of different age groups. In America where people are childish some professors are unable to bring a model to class fearing the childishness of students and this is a college level thing.

To make things worst, many public schools ( as well as private ) have pools that are not used because of the childishness of the students; so we do not have pool time.

People need to get over nudity and grow up. The real world is a naked world. Not some cry-baby, old woman; who thinks your going to have sex with them from the sight of their body. Omgsh you peeked at me. I mean seriously GROW UP PEOPLE GROW UP.

Back then we would play around, swat each others with the towels, and joke all the time. Then everything became gay gay gay gay homo homo homo homo. Thanks to the R-tards for drilling bs like that into our society; we can't have pool time, or even art time at all in the west barely.

That is why we have colleges that are like fifth graders. I am talking about graduate schools. GROW UP PEOPLE, GROW UP.

Do not be like an old chuch lady. "Don't look you might wanna do me". Seriously grow up people. Nobody cares at all about your body at all.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:27 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
The real question is....are women more or less comfortable around each other naked? Older men in the States for cultural reasons are OK with nudity, but I'm not sure how it works for younger and older women. We never hear stories about their locker room behavior.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:24 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniMove View Post
You have a big association between nudity and sex.

In Russia and South Korea, although it did take me a little getting used to, there are saunas where men go to have naked conversations. In my experiences there, the conversations were mostly personal with maybe a little business thrown in. And these aren't places where it's a 15 min get in and get out lol. You shower first, then maybe get a scrub down, then you sit or lay in a sauna type room, and you rinse off again and go to a giant, freezing bath tub. And you're pretty much naked the whole time. I was with a group of men, and we talked throughout that time.
Do they keep it near freezing even during the summer? Seems like they'd have pretty high electric bills!

Old 08-11-2014, 04:17 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,393,604 times
I have noticed that issue among NFL players, when a female reporter goes into the locker room, I think it's a way of showing off.

There's a parody to it on the movie "Any Given Sunday" when a female reporter drop her microphone near a black player "ding dong" and she tries to grab the mike without looking to the guy stuff. It seems is a trend among NFL players to do that.

But yes, put on a towel or something, save the view as much as possible for the ladies.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:21 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I have come to the same conclusion as some others in this thread, that many (notice I didn't say 'all') of these men are closeted gay or bisexual men. They are never flamboyant types, always older accountant/salesman type guys that one would not identify as gay. I don't think they are looking for a hookup, I just think are looking for some eye candy to day dream about. Sure there could be other reasons for this odd behavior, and gay or not it is odd behavior, but I can't think of any other reason, and I have not read any other credible reasons in this thread.
I find it interesting that so many people keep describing this behavior as "odd" or off somehow, or can't move away from the idea that there must be something homosexual about it, or that there must be something else deeply psychological going on. There have been enough posts here from men old enough so they grew up when communal showers and changing in front of each other were the norm so that it seems that others might pay attention to the information that it's not about guys' especially wanting to be nude in front of each other, but only about being comfortable with this because they are used to it.

Think of the reverse trend in how much skin it was generally considered acceptable to expose in public. Think about the old photos of beach scenes from the 1890's or the early 20th century. Women wore full-body bathing suits that even covered their ankles. Even men wore suits that covered much of their upper bodies. Move ahead half a century, when women began wearing the earliest bikinis and it had become standard for men to swim in bathing trunks and go bare-chested.

This didn't happen because people had somehow developed some deep need for exhibitionism, or because for some reason most of the population had suddenly started "batting from the left side of the plate." There was simply a change in cultural norms, which led to greater comfort with exposing more flesh in public than people had been at ease with some decades earlier. This change in attitudes about nudity in the locker room is just the same kind of shift in reverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.