Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 07:13 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
My daughters have commented when an older woman walks around the locker room naked. They played high school sports but taking showers in school locker rooms has virtually disappeared especially for girls.
Hmm. My first middle school, in the 90s, showers were a requirement. You would flunk PE if you didn't take them. The (female) teacher sat at the exit of the (one-room) shower and checked us off her list.

I transferred to another school, in another city, and it was not required. Girls took showers or did not, depending on how sweaty they were or whatever.

Quote:
I don't know what you consider back in the day, but in my junior high swimming class back in the late 1960s, the teacher would tell us that bathing suits were optional for swimming class. Taking showers was not optional before and after swimming class, and the P.E. teacher enforced this with a paddle. By the time I got to junior high in the late 1960s, most of the boys were wearing bathing suits, but this had been a gradual change. The school had been a high school five years before I started and they had swimming class dating back to 1916 when the school was built. While growing up, you heard stories of how the boys made fun of anyone who wore a bathing suit so apparently nude swimming classes were the norm for close to 50 years.
Wow, I had no idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4
Lemme tell you as a gay woman...

I have shared locker rooms with women my entire life.
I played sports, etc.

I cannot think of one time it even occurred to me use those moments as an opportunity to look at anyone or anything or give two sh*ts about it. All I wanted to do was get my shower, get my clothes on, get my hair done, and get the F out of their in time for my first class.

I mean, geezus...at some point, naked is simply in no way interesting. I certainly have ZERO interest in seeing any naked strangers now.
I am bi, and I check women out discreetly in the locker room, but I would never come on to a woman there unless she initiated.

I have been in many co-ed naked spaces -- showers, swimming areas (rivers, beaches, etc., not pools), hot tubs, etc. It was normal in my culture, growing up.

I did start a relationship with a guy once because I suddenly became interested only after I saw him coming out of the co-ed shower as I was going in. So shoot me .

Old 06-28-2014, 07:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It's a case of half-and-half.

Men born before (roughly) 1960 grew up with a much greater acceptance of, and participation in physical exposure. The YMCA in my home town offered both swimming classes and the regular Saturday group swims without suits (common practice in the day) and I'm pretty sure the adult men did the same. Showers after Phys Ed were mandatory in Junior High and High School, This wasn't the case in my school district, but in my travels to other local high schools with the basketball teem (where it was common practice for the visitors to use the girls" lockers), we learned that about half the local schools did require the ladies to use an "open" (no stalls) shower as well.

The practice of nude swimming began to die out in the late Sixties and was practically extinct by 1980. High-school showers lasted only a few years longer. Immigrant students from nations where a greater ethic of modesty was the rule were one factor, but I also suspect that the rapidly-growing number f boys raised in single-parent homes under Momma's standards was a major influence.

I still swim laps when I get the chance, and when I return to the locker room, I usually remove my suit, and take a thorough shower, usually shave and might even brush my teeth in the process. It's easier to stand out of the spray than in a cramped shower stall at home. That in contrast to the "towel dance" that younger men raised with a hang-up seem compelled to put themselves through.

It was quite a while ago, but I got some exposure (no humor intended) to the nudist lifestyle when i was in my thirties, and found that while there was a component of "swingers" and "wannabees", there were others who had strong intellects and could examine the psychology that motivated them. One observation was that when a person was totally naked, he/she tended to pay more attention to his/her physical self and "grooming". The reasoning makes sense to me.

And as an afterthought,a couple of women friends have told me that in their gyms, a number of women are losing their inhibitions about using open showers or walking to and from them nude, or nearly so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
When I was in junior high school (1956-59) on PE 'swim day', all of the guys hit the pool naked. I though it was kinda weird but that's the way it was.
I agree that it is probably more age related than anything else.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:49 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Hmm. My first middle school, in the 90s, showers were a requirement. You would flunk PE if you didn't take them. The (female) teacher sat at the exit of the (one-room) shower and checked us off her list.

I transferred to another school, in another city, and it was not required. Girls took showers or did not, depending on how sweaty they were or whatever.
Your experience is similar to mine in the 60s. It is different today. I've subbed in 5 different school districts for P.E. and I coach basketball. Kids do not take showers after gym class and rarely take showers after basketball games. In the 1960s and 70s, basketball teams wore sports jackets and ties to games, now they travel to away games in warmups

Old 06-28-2014, 08:04 PM

46 posts, read 124,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Much like a 9yo boy to a man? You do realize the most tell tail sign of a pedophile is the urge to dominate other's especially while naked? I'm comfortable being naked and I have nothing to hide. I'm not the biggest nor smallest. Like most normal men, I go about my business in the locker room not being ashamed of being naked but also being considerate. The urge to dominate while naked has deeper roots. Many kid-touchers like the control they now feel, control they didn't have while being dominated when they were younger.
Your knowledge, fixation and fear from pedophiles are scarier than some guy with an "alpha-male" syndrome. So any man or woman who have personalities that tend to dominate others are close to being predators on the pedo spectrum? lol what is up with you and "kid-touchers".

Also, the lockerroom is nothing more than a glorified bathroom. Your comparison of a lockerroom to wearing speedos at church does not make sense. When I played baseball in HS, and racquetball in my 20s, in an open shower most of the guys had no problem holding a conversation while soaping themselves. There wasn't any homosexual whatevers taking place, and . If people weren't so freaked out about their own bodies, you wouldn't care that somebody else is walking around naked in the lockerroom.

Maybe when I'm at a public urinal I should stand so close to the porcelain so the urine bounces back onto my clothing so someone with your hang-ups doesn't catch a glimpse of my manhood. I must be considerate and dear god, think of the children.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:16 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Quote:
Your experience is similar to mine in the 60s. It is different today. I've subbed in 5 different school districts for P.E. and I coach basketball. Kids do not take showers after gym class and rarely take showers after basketball games. In the 1960s and 70s, basketball teams wore sports jackets and ties to games, now they travel to away games in warmups
I wonder if the old rules were made before deodorants? I remember out student handbook had a very strongly worded section about how we had to shower after PE and how puberty meant people had to take extra care not to be smelly, or some such.

It seemed pretty weird to me at the time (still does). It was like they assumed we did not know how to take care of personal hygiene.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:28 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,283 times
Most guys that played sports in HS or grew up before the 90's don't think anything about being naked in a locker room. I usually walk from my locker to the shower with a towel around me, but I weigh myself naked and hang out in the steam room naked. Why do you care? If you stopped looking at naked dudes in the locker room you wouldn't be bothered about it. When I played football in HS we called guys like you "peter gazers." LOL

As for why women don't do this, it's because they tend to be a lot more self conscious about their bodies than men I would think.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:16 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
As a guy sure I get it, and I am not talking about changing from towel to clothes.

Why do guys walk around naked in the locker room no towel. Most of them obese too The worst are the old, obese guys that stand there shaving with their junk touching the counter WTF

My wife says women don't strut around like that at all. I joked " these dough boys have nothing to strut about "

Omg really?
That's funny !

NO women don't. We just kind of change into our clothes fast. We don't use the locker rooms as catwalks.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:25 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
OK, I just remembered something. When I grew up in Sweden there was this swimming hall in Stockholm. I was 15 at the time. In 9th grade we had to do 2 week internship at a work location the school picked for us. Only to gain some real life work knowledge. Anyhow, my friend got to intern in a cafeteria at a bath house/spa or swimming hall. It was beautiful place with a cafeteria on the top floor and a huge lap pool on the first floor. You looked down on the pool from the cafeteria. Anyways, for some odd reason the men's locker room had a glass wall facing the pool!!
I remember when I was visiting my friend and we sat there watching the pool and the people swimming and all of a sudden this big guy with a huge belly strutting around in the locker room back and forth...naked. LOL....
Anyways, thought I should share that.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 06-28-2014 at 10:43 PM..

Old 06-28-2014, 10:59 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
As a guy sure I get it, and I am not talking about changing from towel to clothes.

Why do guys walk around naked in the locker room no towel. Most of them obese too The worst are the old, obese guys that stand there shaving with their junk touching the counter WTF

My wife says women don't strut around like that at all. I joked " these dough boys have nothing to strut about "
Reminds me of a saying I've heard: Usually the first people to get naked are the last ones who should!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:18 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Thumbs up About swimming pools

Quote:
I don't know what you consider back in the day, but in my junior high swimming class back in the late 1960s, the teacher would tell us that bathing suits were optional for swimming class. Taking showers was not optional before and after swimming class, and the P.E. teacher enforced this with a paddle. By the time I got to junior high in the late 1960s, most of the boys were wearing bathing suits, but this had been a gradual change. The school had been a high school five years before I started and they had swimming class dating back to 1916 when the school was built. While growing up, you heard stories of how the boys made fun of anyone who wore a bathing suit so apparently nude swimming classes were the norm for close to 50 years.

In the early 1980s, I belong to a YMCA that had a scheduled nude men's swim. I never attended but it was probably when the old fat guys swam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The practice of nude swimming began to die out in the late Sixties and was practically extinct by 1980.
I've heard that supposedly the reason for nude swimming back when was that the filtration systems for swimming pools didn't filter as thoroughly as they do now. Something about threads breaking loose from clothing and clogging the filters. (Now of course I'm half expecting CaptainNJ to say that the old policy had nothing to do with the quality of pool filtration but that the lifeguards and swimming pool supervisors were all homosexuals who wanted to watch the guys swimming naked. And then for HansProof to say the lifeguards and supervisors were pedophiles.)

Anyway, this next bit isn't about the time when you were in the pool swimming, but just before you entered the pool area. When I was in college in the '70's there was a sign in the locker room, near the door to the pool: YOU MUST TAKE A SOAP SHOWER IN THE NUDE BEFORE ENTERING THE POOL. Obviously a hygiene thing.

Of course once you were in the pool you wore a suit. Free swim was coed, so that was one obvious reason. The one exception was when we took the swimming test during freshman orientation. That was not coed, and we swam nude. The instructions about what time to arrive for the test and how to prepare informed us that we'd be swimming nude, with the old code way of putting this: Swimming suits will be provided.

I was familiar with that from the one other time I'd encountered the no-bathing-suits rule. When I was in elementary school, a friend invited me to his summer camp's winter reunion. The gathering was held on a college campus, and included swimming. Ahead of time we received a pamphlet about attending the reunion. Along with the written directions to the event's location, etc., there was the information that there would be no need to take our own bathing suits for swimming, because, "Swimsuits will be provided." That was when I learned what that really meant, so I knew what to expect during the swimming test in college.

Last edited by ogre; 06-29-2014 at 12:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology