Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 05:05 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
As a guy sure I get it, and I am not talking about changing from towel to clothes.

Why do guys walk around naked in the locker room no towel. Most of them obese too The worst are the old, obese guys that stand there shaving with their junk touching the counter WTF

My wife says women don't strut around like that at all. I joked " these dough boys have nothing to strut about "
I've noticed this but never thought too much about it, other than why do these guys shave when they come to the gym.

My daughters have commented when an older woman walks around the locker room naked. They played high school sports but taking showers in school locker rooms has virtually disappeared especially for girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Back in the day, boys typically got naked in the locker room after P.E. or other physical activity so that they could take showers and clean up. That didn't generally happen in my school unless you played a varsity sport that had morning practices.

Consequently, I think most younger men aren't accustomed to being around a bunch of naked men. Older men grew up this way, so it's normal for them. They're used to a more communal environment.
I don't know what you consider back in the day, but in my junior high swimming class back in the late 1960s, the teacher would tell us that bathing suits were optional for swimming class. Taking showers was not optional before and after swimming class, and the P.E. teacher enforced this with a paddle. By the time I got to junior high in the late 1960s, most of the boys were wearing bathing suits, but this had been a gradual change. The school had been a high school five years before I started and they had swimming class dating back to 1916 when the school was built. While growing up, you heard stories of how the boys made fun of anyone who wore a bathing suit so apparently nude swimming classes were the norm for close to 50 years.

In the early 1980s, I belong to a YMCA that had a scheduled nude men's swim. I never attended but it was probably when the old fat guys swam.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:02 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
It's cultural for the older generation of men; they don't have the hangups that the younger generation has. I am not that old, but used a sauna the other day in just my bathing suit and was shocked when I was joined by not one but multiple young men who wore their complete workout clothes (including shoes and socks). I would think they would overheat too fast, sweat like pigs in their clothes, and need to immediately change out of everything afterward.

As for women, it would seem from what my wife shared with me, they learn to be much more private and less communal in locker-room environments at very young ages. The reason for this, well I don't know. I just have heard they don't have communal showers nor anything like the open bathrooms men generally have to use.

Overall, I think all people would benefit by learning to be more comfortable in their own skin and less judgmental about others (of course the "junk on the counter" thing is just gross and inexcusable - I hope that guy washed everything down when he was done).
I've belonged to several gyms and in all of them there have been women of all ages and sizes who walk around naked in the locker rooms and yes, even stop to chat with others. It's not a majority, but it happens frequently enough that it doesn't feel out of the ordinary to me.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:10 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

I cannot think of one time it even occurred to me use those moments as an opportunity to look at anyone or anything or give two sh*ts about it. All I wanted to do was get my shower, get my clothes on, get my hair done, and get the F out of their in time for my first class..
Genius.

The issue isn't so much the nudity, but how long it lasts .

It's a gym, not a day spa/schvitz bath. If someone is walking around naked for a couple hours, there's something else going on there.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:20 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
It's pretty simple, really. You get to the gym and the intermediate step between wearing your street clothes and wearing your workout clothes involves being naked.

Same thing in the process of removing your workout clothes, taking a shower, and putting your street clothes back on.

Oh, and as for checking the other guys out: it is the grossest of breaches of etiquette to allow one's eyes to stray below, or anywhere approaching, the equator.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:38 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
because they have homosexual tendencies. it seems to happen to a lot of older guys.
This not true. Take it from an older guy.(70) I do it to show the judgemental younger guys that think they're the cat's meow what they're going to look like in a few years.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:27 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
Outside of a specific nudist facility, naked gentlemen wrap a towel around.

Fat guys can't do this without a beach towel, but if they are gentlemen, they will at least cover their junk by carrying the towel in front. (In hand, not draped over convenient appendage!)

It's the same etiquette for prisoners, athletes, swimmers and golfers.

If you are deliberately showing it, you are rude and disturbed.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:27 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
The worst are the old, obese guys that stand there shaving with their junk touching the counter WTF
What I find weird is using the word "junk" to describe your dick and your balls. Where does that come from? I'm old enough, Teckeeee, that you would probably be disgusted by naked me, and that is a word we didn't use when I was (presumably) your age.

As for your immediate problem, don't look.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lemme tell you as a gay woman...

I have shared locker rooms with women my entire life.
I played sports, etc.

I cannot think of one time it even occurred to me use those moments as an opportunity to look at anyone or anything or give two sh*ts about it. All I wanted to do was get my shower, get my clothes on, get my hair done, and get the F out of their in time for my first class.

I mean, geezus...at some point, naked is simply in no way interesting. I certainly have ZERO interest in seeing any naked strangers now.
pervert old guy gay isn't the same as typical homosexual gay.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:22 AM

46 posts, read 124,085 times
Some old men do seem to take forever to get dressed, but some of them are also just slow due to age.

As for myself, low 30s, I have no problem with being nude and once I get out of gym clothes walk naked to the showers and walk naked back to locker. I may even sit in the sauna for about 10 min sitting on a towel.

I laugh at the men who have a towel wrapped around their waist, and do a funny balancing act trying to get dressed with the towel on. I will actually stare because I find it entertaining especially if the towel falls before they get their underwear/pants on, and they are overcome with a nervous haste to cover their bare arse.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:46 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
It's a case of half-and-half.

Men born before (roughly) 1960 grew up with a much greater acceptance of, and participation in physical exposure. The YMCA in my home town offered both swimming classes and the regular Saturday group swims without suits (common practice in the day) and I'm pretty sure the adult men did the same. Showers after Phys Ed were mandatory in Junior High and High School, This wasn't the case in my school district, but in my travels to other local high schools with the basketball teem (where it was common practice for the visitors to use the girls" lockers), we learned that about half the local schools did require the ladies to use an "open" (no stalls) shower as well.

The practice of nude swimming began to die out in the late Sixties and was practically extinct by 1980. High-school showers lasted only a few years longer. Immigrant students from nations where a greater ethic of modesty was the rule were one factor, but I also suspect that the rapidly-growing number f boys raised in single-parent homes under Momma's standards was a major influence.

I still swim laps when I get the chance, and when I return to the locker room, I usually remove my suit, and take a thorough shower, usually shave and might even brush my teeth in the process. It's easier to stand out of the spray than in a cramped shower stall at home. That in contrast to the "towel dance" that younger men raised with a hang-up seem compelled to put themselves through.

It was quite a while ago, but I got some exposure (no humor intended) to the nudist lifestyle when i was in my thirties, and found that while there was a component of "swingers" and "wannabees", there were others who had strong intellects and could examine the psychology that motivated them. One observation was that when a person was totally naked, he/she tended to pay more attention to his/her physical self and "grooming". The reasoning makes sense to me.

And as an afterthought,a couple of women friends have told me that in their gyms, a number of women are losing their inhibitions about using open showers or walking to and from them nude, or nearly so.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-28-2014 at 12:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.