Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:56 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times

Advertisements

When I belonged to a big gym I remember guys doing that and they were mostly older dudes. I guess they just didn't care and they let it all hang out. Most of us changed quickly infront of our lockers, wrapped towels to and from the showers and that was it.
I remember one guy who would stand and get rather agressive drying his junk with his towel between his legs like he was flossing. He would also use baby powder all over and he made such a mess. We also had the buck naked shavers.
Crazy what goes on in a locker room.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:35 PM

13,479 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
American classmate once recanted how in Europe, a guy just pulls down his pants 6 feet away from the urinal, and with hands at his side, just pisses from that distance. ODD indeed
Yes we all do that in every country in Europe, infact I strip completely naked, stand 15 ft away, on my hands, then aim for the furthest urinal...

Old 06-28-2014, 12:51 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
you should be naked taking a shower and when getting dressed obviously

but if grown men in close proximity are standing around butt azz nekkid having a 30 min conversation then something is up

people always want to deflect and say stuff to make it as the person asking the question is in the wrong

locker rooms are for showering, dressing, purchasing 'juice', and getting the f out after your done

there are no women showering in the locker rooms i been in why? the naked human body is a natural thing we should all be showering together and all standing around for hours shooting the breeze naked

850 posts, read 1,026,234 times
Beforeskin this thread gets locked down HARD, I want to shave, I mean share my theory. These nude wanderers are practicing for being in a wedding.

//www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...utt-shots.html

I learn all kinds of cool stuff on City-Data!

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I guess they just didn't care and they let it all hang out.
it has nothing to do with not caring when they are naked beyond any point of being naked. they are hoping to get some action.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:54 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
The real question is...will we ever have coed locker rooms?

I'm 99.99999% sure this will never happen. However, I imagine the reasoning is mostly due to the expected predatory nature of men. Of course, I doubt any woman would go into a coed locker without a big, strong significant other by her side.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:17 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Men born before (roughly) 1960 grew up with a much greater acceptance of, and participation in physical exposure. The YMCA in my home town offered both swimming classes and the regular Saturday group swims without suits (common practice in the day) and I'm pretty sure the adult men did the same. Showers after Phys Ed were mandatory in Junior High and High School, This wasn't the case in my school district, but in my travels to other local high schools with the basketball teem (where it was common practice for the visitors to use the girls" lockers), we learned that about half the local schools did require the ladies to use an "open" (no stalls) shower as well.

The practice of nude swimming began to die out in the late Sixties and was practically extinct by 1980. High-school showers lasted only a few years longer. Immigrant students from nations where a greater ethic of modesty was the rule were one factor, but I also suspect that the rapidly-growing number f boys raised in single-parent homes under Momma's standards was a major influence..
^ This. Plus the old men don't have anywhere to go. Don't want to go home and be alone or with the wife. Better to hang in the locker room with their buddies. The crotch flossing and powder is another old man thing. They don't want to get crotch rot. Just get out of the way when they start snapping towels.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:19 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times
I have seen all this behavior in locker rooms, plus some more stuff that I won't describe because it is gross.

The apparent generational change in behavior is interesting. It seems to be generally true that young people today are less comfortable being naked in front of other people. I wonder if it is because of -- or in spite of -- the (apparent) increased openness about sexuality.

When I see a young guy struggle to pull on his underwear because he needs to maintain his towel placement, it seems a bit too much. Why not just do what you have to do more efficiently, rather than freaking out at the idea someone might briefly see your body?

Likewise, I also find it weird to see (mostly older) guys hanging out naked for long periods. Sometimes I've interpreted it as a "gay" thing, but other times I think they just feel comfortable with their bodies and also like to socialize. I don't think its a good thing that peoples' criticism of that behavior usually seems to require comments about them being old, fat, and disgusting in other ways. However, I admit that I don't like to see those guys, either. Despite that, perhaps we should not be so judgmental on that issue, especially since none of us will be young and good-looking forever.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:25 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
When I was in junior high school (1956-59) on PE 'swim day', all of the guys hit the pool naked. I though it was kinda weird but that's the way it was.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:14 PM

600 posts, read 824,374 times
At my gym, I sometimes see the same guys who parade around nude, flexing down in comparison in the full length mirrors. Now at this point they are not 'nude' but just flexing and showing off.

Gay, closet gay, or just being vain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology