Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 10,718 times

Advertisements

Being a man and being naked in the locker room has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation. Men aren't supposed to care if they're around other naked guys who have finished working out and feel like sitting in the whirlpool, sauna, or steam room, or are just getting cleaned up. Guys who do the "towel dance" and are AFRAID to be naked in the locker room are the ones who have a distorted view of things and have something to hide. This view that men shouldn't be naked in the locker room only started in about the mid 90's. Grow up and be a real man.

Last edited by chitownboi; 09-17-2014 at 03:42 PM..

Old 09-18-2014, 08:47 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownboi View Post
Being a man and being naked in the locker room has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation. Men aren't supposed to care if they're around other naked guys who have finished working out and feel like sitting in the whirlpool, sauna, or steam room, or are just getting cleaned up. Guys who do the "towel dance" and are AFRAID to be naked in the locker room are the ones who have a distorted view of things and have something to hide. This view that men shouldn't be naked in the locker room only started in about the mid 90's. Grow up and be a real man.

Yeah, I always wonder what their problem is.

Same in the womens locker room. I mean, if you are not even able to change your clothes in front of a woman you never see again, how are you ever gonna date and have sex?

I mean, do people really care and look at naked people in the locker room, point their fingers and laugh? Has that ever happened? Or what are you guys afraid of?

it is a LOCKER ROOM for christ sakes, you are supposed to get naked and change clothes. As long as there is no dick slapping in your face or the propeller dance going on .... get over it!

Old 09-18-2014, 10:10 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

Same in the womens locker room. I mean, if you are not even able to change your clothes in front of a woman you never see again, how are you ever gonna date and have sex?

I mean, do people really care and look at naked people in the locker room, point their fingers and laugh? Has that ever happened? Or what are you guys afraid of?

it is a LOCKER ROOM for christ sakes, you are supposed to get naked and change clothes. As long as there is no dick slapping in your face or the propeller dance going on .... get over it!
Except that what's really being discussed here isn't fleeting, normal nudity in the process of getting showered and dressed at the gym. It's excessive, flaunting, trolling nudity.

And anyone who has spent time in a locker room in a medium/major city knows the precise difference.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:11 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

Apparently the OP and those that agree with him do.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:12 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownboi View Post
Dude calls himself chitownboi and yet tells other to grow up and be a real man. Sounds legit.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:38 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
And its always the people who have the worst, oldest and most wrinkled bodies that are the ones showing them off.
Only an exhibitionist would think taking your clothes off in a locker room is showing off. In the old days, before unisex everything, clothes were actually banned in sections of the Men's Gym at my university. Clothing was flatly forbidden in the pool.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:15 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,852 times
This thread is a riot. I went to a gym for years just because it was the only one with a pool, and older obese men were ALWAYS in the men's locker room shaving, showering, sitting in the sauna or whirlpool, but the gross part was seeing them in full recline position, naked, and obese in a leather easy chair reading the newspaper. I think it was a function of habit, wanting company and disinhibition. I never got the sense that these men were gay. They always seemed to be in their own little worlds, they never cruised around looking at other men in my experience. You can tell when someone is hitting on you with their eyes, young or old, ugh. Go to a gay bar if you want to cruise, the locker room isn't the place.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:43 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
Some of the reactions in this thread are just ridiculous. People are trying to make it seem like the OP is the one who's in the wrong. Please, there ARE genuinely creepy old men in gym locker rooms. Some of those old men join a gym for the purpose of ogling other men.

The whole notion of "groups of men used swim naked in pools in the 1950s" has no bearing on the world of today. If you're in a locker room in which men are reluctant to be seen naked, why the hell would you choose walk around stark naked in there? Especially if you're out of shape.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:58 PM

2 posts, read 10,222 times
I don't understand the whole shaving and walking around for extended periods of time naked, but I'm 32 and in ok shape and at my gym we have open communal showers and I notice the younger guys 18-25 are like horrified and shocked. I don't see a problem with showering and walking to my locker naked or toweling off and walking. I also don't see a need to rush like a madman to get my clothes on like some of these younger guys. It's really insecurity issues. There is no need to parade around for long periods of time but t there is also no need to rush unnecessarily to get your clothes on. You can't deal with a naked guy....then that's more of your own personal issue in my opinion.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:14 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS930 View Post
I don't understand the whole shaving and walking around for extended periods of time naked...
I've not gone to a gym for years, but those guys shaving seemed to be there forever!

I was in and out quickly, so never saw how long they stayed there. I imagine they are a permanent fixture in the locker room - there walking around naked shaving 24/7?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology