Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 06:16 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times

Advertisements

Now class! Stop!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 06:23 PM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Now class! Stop!!!
The first year I was at the school I'm now at (this is my 26th year there) I had to teach classes of the kids nobody else wanted (was then and still is a cliqueish school among the staff). Had one kid who could clear the room.

Brought in a roll of toilet paper one day, he let one rip. I tossed him the toilet paper and told him to go clean himself up. He never did it again.

I did have one kid who tried to loose one one day. He lost control of it and, well, had an accident. He turned out to be sick and his mother wouldn't let him stay home. He thanked me at graduation for never mentioning it.

Which was different than the football player who lost bowel control making a tackle one game.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:44 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The first year I was at the school I'm now at (this is my 26th year there) I had to teach classes of the kids nobody else wanted (was then and still is a cliqueish school among the staff). Had one kid who could clear the room.

Brought in a roll of toilet paper one day, he let one rip. I tossed him the toilet paper and told him to go clean himself up. He never did it again.

I did have one kid who tried to loose one one day. He lost control of it and, well, had an accident. He turned out to be sick and his mother wouldn't let him stay home. He thanked me at graduation for never mentioning it.

Which was different than the football player who lost bowel control making a tackle one game.
It happens all of the time; it's just that I have the wrong personality to cope with it. I would like to learn otherwise, though, even if it is just an act. It would be nice to be able to put on another persona just to be able to communicate with these kids more effectively. I don't have a very well developed personality and wish I had a script. Many of the situations I encounter in the classroom I have no schema for dealing with. Others don't have that problem. I think I would be the best teacher anyone has ever seen if I only had a list of general rules for common situations and even a few practice scripts. You may claim that I don't really need that, but it would make me feel better. After all, magic is all about illusions, and illusions are all about careful planning and precise organizing. People who don't see a need for the script haven't thought about the play.

Last edited by krmb; 09-12-2014 at 06:57 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 07:37 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'd flag that guy 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:47 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
It never gets old for some people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7EoHGVLMS4

Btw, in case you ever wondered what happens when someone pulls your finger and doesn't let go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFHYSbDl-cY

Old 09-12-2014, 07:50 PM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
It happens all of the time; it's just that I have the wrong personality to cope with it. I would like to learn otherwise, though, even if it is just an act. It would be nice to be able to put on another persona just to be able to communicate with these kids more effectively. I don't have a very well developed personality and wish I had a script. Many of the situations I encounter in the classroom I have no schema for dealing with. Others don't have that problem. I think I would be the best teacher anyone has ever seen if I only had a list of general rules for common situations and even a few practice scripts. You may claim that I don't really need that, but it would make me feel better. After all, magic is all about illusions, and illusions are all about careful planning and precise organizing. People who don't see a need for the script haven't thought about the play.
I remember teachers that my class and I showed no mercy to, more than one reduced to tears. I also remember teachers who had a calm authority and classroom control was never an issue. There was little correlation between the ability to calmly control a class and intellectual ability. Those in control were not using a script, those not in control could never have been saved with a script. I apologize if I seem to be hard on you. I have to say substitute teachers almost always have it much worse than everyday teachers.

Don in Austin

Old 09-12-2014, 09:36 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times
Farts Can Kill ~ A classic Monty Python scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh5_...&feature=share

Old 09-13-2014, 01:45 AM

31 posts, read 33,306 times
They're probably making a bigger deal out of it because you're the sub. Sorry but if I remember correctly from grade school 40 something years ago the kids give the sub teacher a hard time. Kids used to make noises like farts when the teachers back was turned and everyone would use the excuse to go crazy and laugh. Not very funny but that's what they did. I have a friend who's a sub and she says some kids are really mean. You aught to ask other subs and regular teachers how they cut it off. Have you tried just clapping your hands abruptly say ok that's enough back to the lesson? Those who don't listen send to the office? I have no idea. Large groups of kids rather scare the $&@/ out of me.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:18 AM

223 posts, read 300,346 times
Don't schools give detentions anymore? If they do, give the offender a detention.

First of all, you are a sub, so the kids always act up more with subs. Second, I think you said they are middle school age, so they are very silly at that age. I would give him a detention if you can. That would be your best option IMO.

I remember one time in 8th grade English, the class started laughing about something and got out of control. The teacher made the entire class serve a detention in her room for a half hour after school.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:36 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Honestly, after reading all your comments, I would recommend you seek out teaching a grade other than middle school. Maybe college would be more appropriate. The tween years are a tumultuous time for kids that isn't helped AT ALL by teachers who don't understand the age group and can't deal or communicate with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology