Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:44 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times

Advertisements

Methinks this post is going to open the floodgates on all kinds of bats**t crazy.

If you gotta spend your time hating a group of people, whichever group it might be, you're just boring to me and lacking in imagination. I grew up with a lot of international influence in my life - classmates from all over the world. It never occurred to me to despise everyone of an entire culture. Today, through my job, I interact mainly with people who are well-traveled and have pretty multi-cultural backgrounds. This idea of hating an entire group of people - Western Europeans, Arabs, Africans, Chinese, etc. - would be rather pathetic in their eyes.

Every culture has its faults, but if you can't find any points of commonality or empathy with the individuals who belong to a particular culture - the fault lies with you.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:08 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsLikeThat View Post
Lol, just because you're 8% Cherokee Native American doesn't mean that you're not of West European descent. If you're truly not of West European descent, I sincerely apologize for accusing you of being.
Wth is wrong with you?
I am zero percent white in any way.
But you are striking me as more and more...unbalanced.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:18 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times
@ Bluesmama -

There is not pat answer to your question. Hopefully, the move will help you realize that regardless of race, religion, color or creed, people are pretty much all the same. They have the same positives, the same negatives, etc. Some people (of all races, religions, colors and creeds) are actually trained to hate, and perhaps you have been trained to hate too. Just because you come at the world from a different geographical perspective doesnt mean you will lose that life-long training, likewise, just because you come from a bigoted household doesnt mean you will definately face the world as a bigot.

Lets say Im robbed by someone, is it somehow any different of a crime depending on whether that person is demographically just like me or completely the opposite of me? In the end, Im still robbed, so no. There is only the special distinction that someone wants to make of it.

You have free will. Use it! Dont be complacent in mimmicking the traits you dislike just because someone is not the same as you. I would think if I act just like what I claim to hate - then I have made myself into what I hate.

I hope you find your personal Utopia somewhere. Its always nice when anyone can be completely comfortable in their own skin. Makes them better people.

EDIT: Oh, and save some money for a ticket back to where you are now, just in case the grass wasnt really greener in that other pasture.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 02-13-2015 at 05:50 AM..

Old 02-13-2015, 10:57 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Is hatred in your heart curable? I don't even know if hatred is the right word, but if someone has genuine disgust and disdain for a group of people, is it possible that it will ever be completely cured? I can honestly say that, if by chance, there was something that threatened the entire Western European descended race I wouldn't lift a finger to help them, even if I could do so effortlessly.

I know that's probably not right, but it's how I feel and I feel justified in my views. Even though I do feel justified, it is a heavy burden to carry and I'm probably looking at a year or more before I can move out of America, so I'll have no choice but to be around people of European descent, and even when I do move I probably won't be able to completely escape their presence. Is there anyone here who has experience dealing with hate and what is the best cure for doing so? Thanks in advance and please no religious dogma.

Not without 1) really actually wanting to and 2) long-term intensive therapy to fix warped thinking.

So....Its not gonna happen. Moving sounds best. Unfortunately, you'll still be there right with you. So you still won't be happy.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:30 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,429 times
Quote:
Is hatred in your heart curable? I don't even know if hatred is the right word, but if someone has genuine disgust and disdain for a group of people, is it possible that it will ever be completely cured? I can honestly say that, if by chance, there was something that threatened the entire Western European descended race I wouldn't lift a finger to help them, even if I could do so effortlessly.

I know that's probably not right, but it's how I feel and I feel justified in my views. Even though I do feel justified, it is a heavy burden to carry and I'm probably looking at a year or more before I can move out of America, so I'll have no choice but to be around people of European descent, and even when I do move I probably won't be able to completely escape their presence. Is there anyone here who has experience dealing with hate and what is the best cure for doing so? Thanks in advance and please no religious dogma.
Modern, post-Christian liberal society is constantly urging toleration, understanding, peace and love on us all,but the fact remains that hatred is as human as love.

As Carl Schmitt elucidates in his work The Concept of the Political; the "friend-enemy distinction" is as irreducible as the distinctions between good and evil, truth and falsity, beauty and ugliness.

So, it's OK to hate. Those who'd tell you differently are fooling themselves, because the real world seems too horrifying for them to contemplate.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:51 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
Why a therapist? So he/she doesn't like Euros. He/she doesn't like the culture, the food, they physical features of a Euro, it is a personal choice. Of course today with the advent of Obama, this guy has taken "Hate whitey" to an all new level and "non-white" cultures are coming out of the closet admitting that racism and predjudism is not just a "white cultural phenomena." There a millions of non-whites that feel this way, so they all need shrinks??? No. Everyone is entitled to their personal feelings.
Bigotry is irrational, as is carrying a lot of hatred around. Obviously the OP is concerned about his irrational hatred, or he wouldn't ask whether it's possible to fix. That right there is the first step to fixing it, and nothing short of intensive work on himself is going to change it if it's that ingrained. A therapist can help with that. Yes, it's just that simple.

As for the rest of your post, you seem to revel in your bigotry. Please spare us the b.s. about racism and bigotry being "personal choice." That's just pathetic.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:00 PM

267 posts, read 303,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Bigotry is irrational, as is carrying a lot of hatred around. Obviously the OP is concerned about his irrational hatred, or he wouldn't ask whether it's possible to fix. That right there is the first step to fixing it, and nothing short of intensive work on himself is going to change it if it's that ingrained. A therapist can help with that. Yes, it's just that simple.

As for the rest of your post, you seem to revel in your bigotry. Please spare us the b.s. about racism and bigotry being "personal choice." That's just pathetic.
I've thought about seeing a therapist and even went online to find some in my area. Unfortunately, based on what I saw none of them look like people I would ever trust under any circumstances ever or give my personal information to, much less tell them what's going through my head.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:14 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
Perspective is the basis of wisdom which leads to understanding.
As you age, you'll discover that it doesn't matter much anymore what you used to hate.
All the negative energy has been taken out of it and you'll find peace with the subject.
It's kind of like watching the same movie over and over again. After awhile, you just get bored and indifferent with the plot and the punch lines.
All the anger is slowly bled off until it's gone, just like an electrical charge.
That's why meditation and self reflection is so important, it helps to see yourself and how you dovetail into the culture that you seem so at odds with.
Or, you can hang onto that negative energy until it destroys you or someone who has a higher level of it finds you as a dumping ground for theirs !

Last edited by NickofDiamonds; 02-13-2015 at 12:37 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 12:16 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Or, you can hang onto that negative energy until it or someone who has a higher level of it finds you as a dumping ground for theirs!
That would be the most fitting. That, and enough rope.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:48 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Empathy can be learned...it takes a willing heart and a lot of work, but...yes...racism and bigotry can be "cured" by learning empathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology