Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:28 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,277,964 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's living in the past, it's just enjoying content that one likes, regardless of when it was produced. The question arises out of conflict over what's to be on the screen for a number of viewers with different tastes and preferences. If one of them doesn't like the show they will use whatever argument against it that comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:30 AM

88,694 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
and Reverse Mortgages and catheters.
Don't forget the trans-vaginal mesh that has melded to your abdomen and makes you eligible for a big lawsuit. Or, "THIS IS MY HAIR! IT'S MY HAIR!!!!"

Old 04-18-2015, 10:51 AM

10,026 posts, read 8,677,055 times
If that broad switched the channel to Judge Judy while I was watching something she would be wearing that tv as a hat.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:15 PM

950 posts, read 926,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Watching Judge Judy is more unhealthy than watching an old rerun from the 60s.

That's garbage tv and its all scripted even though it seems like its not.

No it isn't

I personally knew a family that was on there.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:16 PM

950 posts, read 926,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
If that broad switched the channel to Judge Judy while I was watching something she would be wearing that tv as a hat.

I love watching Judge Judy

Old 04-18-2015, 12:55 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,411,740 times
i like shows like MASH, and andy griffen, not because i'm watching it, but the shows been on so long the voice is so common, its like family talking in the same room

Old 04-18-2015, 02:52 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,053,021 times
I disagree. I LOVE old tv shows & movies (I also watch current shows like the walking dead, survivor, the 100 ,under the dome, etc). Judge judy annoys me & its crazy that she earns 45 million a year. I hate American idol, the voice & other shows I wont mention. There is a new comedy channel that's shows old shows like ellen, grace under fire & empty nest. If someone turned the channel on me at home I would kick them out. I couldn't do anything at work but I would avoid that rude lady big time.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:59 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,664,651 times
Hogan's Heroes, ugh a sitcom about a World War II German prison camp. Wasn't the star of it the guy who ended up in a freaky murder. Right down there with Mash in my book.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:02 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,063,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Hogan's Heroes, ugh a sitcom about a World War II German prison camp. Wasn't the star of it the guy who ended up in a freaky murder. Right down there with Mash in my book.
That's him!

Ohhhhh, talk about memory lane.

I remember Bob Crane and "The Bob Crane Show" (and seeing him on a version of "Arsenic and Old Lace"), watching him in commercials promoting a dinner theater play, him talking on late night TV about doing another play with Bernard Fox and it being in a seedy part of of town................

........................then reading in the Austin American about his demise.

But, stars are human like the rest of us and are not invulnerable from being done in. Ie, people like Sharon Tate, George Rose, and Peter Arne. Of course, should one be doing things that others might find distasteful........

Anyhow, back to the topic, I do refer the older shows for three main reasons.

First of all, they seemed to have been more enjoyable back then. The humor was easier. Secondly, the quality of the show then seems to be a heck of a lot better than now. Tom Smothers probably said it best,

""I'm watching television and I'm not seeing anything. I watch all the cable shows where you should see some looseness and you're not hearing anything. ...There's a general dumbing down of everybody in this country. ...It just kept going and going until it's gotten to the point where it's all mean-spirited and vulgar. It not only affects comedy, it affects film. It affects literature. It's pervasive on radio. There's that guy Howard Stern and all that smart ass, vulgar, sexual pretending like they're expanding freedom of speech. They ought to put an amendment to the First Amendment that says there shall also be freedom of hearing." (Chicago Tribune interview; November 28, 2002) (imdb)"

I'm not such a fan of Bonanza, but I can watch The Beverly Hillbillies and I loved the way that differences of people in the show was just taken as is without insult or cut downs.

Finally, especially with shows of the 60's, I am looking to search out for the "innocence" that I felt back then (to a degree), of what it was like to be in simpler technology, in homes where books were cherished without being overwhelming (like my home is).

Doesn't apply to all the famous shows of back then, of course. Moving the clock a little bit forward, I love WKRP but can come or go on MASH and while Barney Miller was great, I'm not willing to fork over the cash, not yet at least, to get the series.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:12 PM

983 posts, read 997,733 times
Don't dare tell me my Little House on the Prairie is living in the past!

Actually, I'm listening to some Stephen Foster songs. Now that's really living in the past. They're nice tunes though, and almost dead and forgotten American music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology