Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 11:41 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times

Advertisements

This is kind of just a funny thing, but I also truly wonder about it. I've known some people who always, not just "often" but always, leave drawers partly pulled out, cabinets partly opened, and closets partly opened.

I remember I had a teacher in high school who always left her desk drawers pulled out 1-2 inches. Students would make jokes about it, and she would say that she does it at her house too, and her husband was always going around closing them.

Throughout the years I've worked with, or been friends with, people who I noticed do the same thing. Like the friend whose bedroom closet is NEVER closed, and whose drawers are always open.

Then I lived with a partner for 12+ years, and he was like this. Every bedroom drawer: open a few inches. Closet door: open. Bathroom cabinet: opened just enough so that the magnetic latch won't connect. Kitchen cabinets: same. He moved out a few years ago, and ever since, I've made sure every cabinet door and drawer are closed. It take just as long and just as much effort to close the all the way as it does to close them part-way. He and I are still friends and when I go to his house: all open. He happens to be sloppy, but the other friend I mentioned above was not sloppy; everything seemed to be in its place at her house, but nothing was ever shut.

My ex was just at my house this week, and he had to get out scissors for something, and after he left, I found the damned kitchen drawer open about 1 inch.

Do you know someone like this? What do you think it is? It could just be carelessness, but to do it almost 100% of the time, to me, take some effort. It's almost like a rare OCD thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 11:52 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,205 times
I'd say the person who is concerned with closed drawers is the OCD. The person leaving the drawers partly open is definitely non-OCD. No mystery there.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:05 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
I'm sure you're being tongue-in-cheek, but in case you're not...
No, drawers are usually supposed to be closed, unless you open them to put something in or take something out. then they should be closed again. Ditto cabinets. Ditto closets. It's not obsessive-compulsive to close them; it's normal. Sure the normal, average person will leave a drawer or door open once in a while, and I don't get "OCD" about that. But are you claiming that it's normal to leave them all open, all the time, and that it's abnormal to close them?

Old 09-07-2016, 12:12 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
I'm one of those people who doesn't close cabinet doors, which I know drives some people crazy. I could say it's carelessness, but it's not something that I consciously do or even notice (until I go back into the kitchen and see the cabinet doors are open.)

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-07-2016 at 12:25 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 12:13 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,023,195 times
My DH leaves the kitchen drawers and cabinet doors open all the time. I was raised with a mom who never let us leave any cabinets or drawers open, and I've learned to live with it but I don't like it, especially when I see that he has spilled something from what he was preparing into the silverware drawer because he couldn't be bothered to close it.

I do feel I know why he does this, though. He is nearly always thinking about something other than what is in front of him, and for him, when he has gotten a dish out of the cupboard or whatever, in his mind his intention has been completed and he can go on to the next thing.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:18 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Hmmm...could be an OCD thing or a compulsion, or it might have some psychological reason related to some obscure fear or other (if it's constant/consistent).

It drives me crazy, personally.

That and never finishing the last of something. I feel like these must be related...my kids do this ALL the time...put back the jug of milk with half a teaspoon of milk in it, open a new cereal box because there are only a few ounces left of the old cereal, put a gigantic dinner plate with one uneaten bite of chicken on it into the fridge, etc. What the...? Throw that shyte away, LOL.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:24 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,646,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
I'd say the person who is concerned with closed drawers is the OCD. The person leaving the drawers partly open is definitely non-OCD. No mystery there.
I'm with you. Life is just too short. What's next? People who squeeze the toothpaste in the middle of the tube?

Old 09-07-2016, 12:29 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Did my wife write this?

I do it.

Not in the kitchen where people are moving around.
But definitely right this very moment there are drawers open in my side of the bathroom and closet. Why?

I dunno.

It's always the same ones bc I access them a lot. Why keep opening and closing them? They are not in anyone's way. No one will get hurt. I am not saying it's a conscious decision to leave them open, but it is always a conscious decision to close them.

For some reason, I usually remember to close all the other drawers in the house, but my wife had to remind me with the cabinets. But now I am good with that.

I am FANTASTIC about shutting off lights...I am the light nazi here.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:00 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,842 times
My SO leaves cabinets and drawers open all the time. It drives me crazy. Not just open an inch or so but wide open. His 5-drawer dresser usually has 4 drawers open. Wide open. I'm waiting for it to tip over one day. Don't you have to close a top drawer to access a lower drawer??

Luckily, we have two spare bedrooms in the house and one is "his" and one is "mine". He has two dressers and a desk in his spare room. Most drawers are open to some degree. I just walk by and look the other way. If this was going on in the Master bedroom, I'm sure I would have declared all out war on him. When he leaves kitchen cabinets open, I just close them (sometimes loudly so he gets the hint). Even the tiny drawer in the end table is left wide open.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:39 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm sure you're being tongue-in-cheek, but in case you're not...
No, drawers are usually supposed to be closed, unless you open them to put something in or take something out. then they should be closed again. Ditto cabinets. Ditto closets. It's not obsessive-compulsive to close them; it's normal. Sure the normal, average person will leave a drawer or door open once in a while, and I don't get "OCD" about that. But are you claiming that it's normal to leave them all open, all the time, and that it's abnormal to close them?
No, what I am suggesting is, an OCD person will be bothered by the opened drawer, whereas the non-OCD person will not be bothered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology