Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2019, 08:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Hysterical. Like people who leave 2 teaspoons of food in a serving dish. Grrr.
Or one square of toilet paper on a roll, so they don't feel morally obligated to change it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 08:40 AM

801 posts, read 615,644 times
We could do this all day! lol

Putting empty milk jugs back into the fridge.
Putting an empty cereal box back into the cupboard.
Setting the empty toilet paper roll on top of the garbage can instead of putting it in.
Setting dirty dishes on the counter NEXT TO AN EMPTY SINK.
Putting dirty clothes in a pile on the floor NEXT TO AN EMPTY HAMPER.
Spitting your toothpaste into the sink and leaving it there to dry all day even though the water is already running.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:49 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Hysterical. Like people who leave 2 teaspoons of food in a serving dish. Grrr.
oh my gosh... Are you married to my husband? He always leaves one cookie in the package, or a teaspoon of leftover food in a container, or an inch of milk in the old carton and then opens the new one. He drives me nuts..

and he never ever shuts the fridge or cabinet doors..

but he's got a good pension plan so I put up with him.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:55 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
I'm with you. Life is just too short. What's next? People who squeeze the toothpaste in the middle of the tube?
That is blasphemy.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
I'm with you. Life is just too short. What's next? People who squeeze the toothpaste in the middle of the tube?
Here's the thing that people who half ass do things all day long don't seem to understand - their behaviors cause irritation that adds up, and part of the problem is that other people KNOW that taken one thing by one thing, these are incredibly minor things, but that's not the problem - the problem is that the irritation is cumulative. It's like Chinese water torture - drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip OH MY GOD WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT???????? "What? All I did was forget to put a new roll of toilet paper on the roll." No. No. That's not "all you did." But it sounds ridiculous to recite a litany of these incredibly small, trite things.

You do know that you can boil a frog by slowly turning the heat up in a pan one degree at a time, right?

Thankfully, most of us who are married to people who do these things DO let them roll off our shoulders. That doesn't mean we don't have to make a conscious decision not to let it create inner angst.

My husband is one of those people who leaves one square of toilet paper on the roll. Now, to be fair, he is also one of those people who will do all sorts of truly wonderful, selfless, touching things for other people, and that is what I remind myself of when I'm sitting on the toilet and I reach for the TP and there's ONE SQUARE OF IT there, which means that I have to stand up with my pants down around my ankles, turn around, get a roll of TP, take the roller thingie off the wall, put the new roll on, and THEN finally get down to business. Every time. It's me every, Single. Time. Why is that?

Don't tell me it's a small price to pay - I know that. I also know that it's going to happen over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again in my lifetime. So like I said, it's cumulative.

This is not a thoughtless, selfish man. What is going on in that mind?

Old 03-22-2019, 09:40 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
We could do this all day! lol

Putting empty milk jugs back into the fridge.
Putting an empty cereal box back into the cupboard.
Setting the empty toilet paper roll on top of the garbage can instead of putting it in.
Setting dirty dishes on the counter NEXT TO AN EMPTY SINK.
Putting dirty clothes in a pile on the floor NEXT TO AN EMPTY HAMPER.
Spitting your toothpaste into the sink and leaving it there to dry all day even though the water is already running.
None of these are the same as the drawer/cabinet thing.

I sure as heck would never do these things.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:10 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here's the thing that people who half ass do things all day long don't seem to understand - their behaviors cause irritation that adds up, and part of the problem is that other people KNOW that taken one thing by one thing, these are incredibly minor things, but that's not the problem - the problem is that the irritation is cumulative. It's like Chinese water torture - drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip OH MY GOD WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT???????? "What? All I did was forget to put a new roll of toilet paper on the roll." No. No. That's not "all you did." But it sounds ridiculous to recite a litany of these incredibly small, trite things.

You do know that you can boil a frog by slowly turning the heat up in a pan one degree at a time, right?

Thankfully, most of us who are married to people who do these things DO let them roll off our shoulders. That doesn't mean we don't have to make a conscious decision not to let it create inner angst.

My husband is one of those people who leaves one square of toilet paper on the roll. Now, to be fair, he is also one of those people who will do all sorts of truly wonderful, selfless, touching things for other people, and that is what I remind myself of when I'm sitting on the toilet and I reach for the TP and there's ONE SQUARE OF IT there, which means that I have to stand up with my pants down around my ankles, turn around, get a roll of TP, take the roller thingie off the wall, put the new roll on, and THEN finally get down to business. Every time. It's me every, Single. Time. Why is that?

Don't tell me it's a small price to pay - I know that. I also know that it's going to happen over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again in my lifetime. So like I said, it's cumulative.

This is not a thoughtless, selfish man. What is going on in that mind?
I would use the TP before standing with pants around ankles dripping to put it on the roller first, but that is just me. I would also know after years of this to notice before sitting down, but again, that is just me.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I would use the TP before standing with pants around ankles dripping to put it on the roller first, but that is just me. I would also know after years of this to notice before sitting down, but again, that is just me.
Not to be too graphic, but I don't stand up dripping to put it on the roller thingie - I sit back down first. But my point is that I have to stand up to GET the TP!

And it's not like this is an every day thing, maybe because we have several bathrooms, and we buy the jumbo rolls, so no, I haven't trained myself to look at the roller thing FIRST to see if it needs to be replaced but maybe that's something I can train myself to do, since clearly I can't train my husband to change out the roll rather than leaving ONE SQUARE of paper.

And believe me, it's not for lack of trying. I have actually not replaced it and instead just stood up, gotten a wad of it from the roll, and put the roll back in the cabinet. Over and over again. Apparently he does the same thing, rather than simply replacing the roll, because if I don't replace it, it basically NEVER GETS REPLACED. Which is more trouble than it's worth to me so now I just sigh and replace it myself immediately.

For a solid year I tried this: I bought a nice little tray and placed it near our entrance/exit to the garage. Now, he doesn't ever put all his stuff (phone, wallet, keys, sunglasses) anywhere in particular - he scatters them all over the house and then runs around all over the house looking for them and gathering them up (and often forgetting one or more of them) when we're trying to leave, so I thought "Why not just do that myself, gather them up and then put them in the tray by the door so he doesn't run around panicking looking for stuff and making us run late?" So for a year of my life I did this. And every single time, that entire year, he would STILL run around the house looking for stuff, and I'd say, "All your stuff is in the tray," and he'd say "Oh thank God," and pick it all up and we'd be fine. BUT HE NEVER CAUGHT ON TO TWO THINGS - 1) TO USE THE TRAY, AND 2) TO LOOK THERE FOR HIS STUFF BEFORE LOOKING EVERYWHERE ELSE. Now keep in mind, that when he comes in, he starts at the back door and scatters his things everywhere along the way - maybe the glasses on the washer, the wallet on the kitchen counters, keys maybe in his pocket or on the dresser, glasses God only knows where - but these locations change every time. Maybe next time his keys are down between the sofa cushions, his wallet is in his pants, his phone is in the office, who knows? He doesn't know, that's for sure.

He never even seemed to notice that I was putting his items in the tray. Not for a solid year. Now I just put them in the tray if they are out somewhere random bothering me, otherwise I just forget about it because it is POINTLESS.

Honestly, I don't get it.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:05 AM

177 posts, read 130,535 times
Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not to be too graphic, but I don't stand up dripping to put it on the roller thingie - I sit back down first. But my point is that I have to stand up to GET the TP!

And it's not like this is an every day thing, maybe because we have several bathrooms, and we buy the jumbo rolls, so no, I haven't trained myself to look at the roller thing FIRST to see if it needs to be replaced but maybe that's something I can train myself to do, since clearly I can't train my husband to change out the roll rather than leaving ONE SQUARE of paper.

And believe me, it's not for lack of trying. I have actually not replaced it and instead just stood up, gotten a wad of it from the roll, and put the roll back in the cabinet. Over and over again. Apparently he does the same thing, rather than simply replacing the roll, because if I don't replace it, it basically NEVER GETS REPLACED. Which is more trouble than it's worth to me so now I just sigh and replace it myself immediately.

For a solid year I tried this: I bought a nice little tray and placed it near our entrance/exit to the garage. Now, he doesn't ever put all his stuff (phone, wallet, keys, sunglasses) anywhere in particular - he scatters them all over the house and then runs around all over the house looking for them and gathering them up (and often forgetting one or more of them) when we're trying to leave, so I thought "Why not just do that myself, gather them up and then put them in the tray by the door so he doesn't run around panicking looking for stuff and making us run late?" So for a year of my life I did this. And every single time, that entire year, he would STILL run around the house looking for stuff, and I'd say, "All your stuff is in the tray," and he'd say "Oh thank God," and pick it all up and we'd be fine. BUT HE NEVER CAUGHT ON TO TWO THINGS - 1) TO USE THE TRAY, AND 2) TO LOOK THERE FOR HIS STUFF BEFORE LOOKING EVERYWHERE ELSE. Now keep in mind, that when he comes in, he starts at the back door and scatters his things everywhere along the way - maybe the glasses on the washer, the wallet on the kitchen counters, keys maybe in his pocket or on the dresser, glasses God only knows where - but these locations change every time. Maybe next time his keys are down between the sofa cushions, his wallet is in his pants, his phone is in the office, who knows? He doesn't know, that's for sure.

He never even seemed to notice that I was putting his items in the tray. Not for a solid year. Now I just put them in the tray if they are out somewhere random bothering me, otherwise I just forget about it because it is POINTLESS.

Honestly, I don't get it.
I did the exact same thing with my "Lost in Space" husband. I made what I called a "Bag of Sh#%" and everything he left everywhere all through the house whenever I came across it I would toss it in the BOS. So whenever he asked "Where are my keys? Where is my wallet? Where is that piece of paper I had a phone number written on?" I would simply say "In the Bag of Sh#%." I couldnt understand why he wouldnt go check the BOS first whenever he lost something knowing that I put everything I find in there. I thought it would simplify things, but it did not.

Then I bought him this fancy valet type thing for his desk. It had a place on it for sunglasses, change, wallet, cell phone, etc. I thought (stupidly) that this would be great, he could just come home and put everything on the valet. The valet still sits there empty. Never used. What was I thinking?

Old 03-23-2019, 11:01 AM

801 posts, read 615,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
None of these are the same as the drawer/cabinet thing.

I sure as heck would never do these things.
Uh, great. You do you. They're exactly the same, for me. People going about their day and just doing stuff... stuff that is almost helpful but isn't quite helpful enough. lol - auto-pilot instead of follow through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology