Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2019, 07:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal, gearhead:

I get what you're saying in theory, but the reality is that when my husband is puttering around in the kitchen, he is just as likely to get sidetracked and wander out of the kitchen, leaving cabinet doors open.

It's just not difficult to open or close a cabinet door or drawer. And if we're going to use your reasoning, why not leave drawers open too? Never mind the hip bruises! Put some ice on those lumps on your head from hitting the cabinet doors too!

If I'm working on a project, I like to clean as I go. I don't care if I have to go back and clean a surface again at the end. I'd rather do that than wander around in piles of sawdust tracking it everywhere.

The other day, my husband went into the laundry room and got a milk bone out of the cabinet for each of our dogs. Then he left the cabinet door open. Why? Was it because in a few hours he'd go back in and give them another bone? Who knows? Honestly, it's pretty bizarre to those of us who close cabinet doors. We do not get it. It is not "more convenient" to us.

But speaking of convenience, why zip up your pants? You're just going to have to unzip them again. Just walk around with them unzipped. No one will actually SEE anything, and it's a lot more convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 08:56 AM

177 posts, read 130,535 times
Spot on Kathy, besides being hilarious!!!

Old 02-21-2020, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 487 times
I had never been bothered about this until I started working with Anna. Every afternoon she makes a coffee on the small chest of drawers we have in our shared office. It's got a tray with a kettle on top, a few cups, and tea bags, coffee and powdered milk in the top drawer. Every few weeks I clean the tray and tidy around. I am far from being obsessional. Going back to Anna: day after day she takes the powdered milk out of the drawer, leaving the drawer wide open, shakes the milk into her coffee, then puts the milk on her desk and goes back to her work on the computer. I don't care where she leaves the milk, but the drawer!!!! The drawer remains open. When I see it, I kind of freeze in panic and a wave of sweat goes over my body. It's one of those office-style drawers where all it takes is a slight push and the whole drawer slides back into place with a satisfying click. How can she leave it open? How can she? My explanation is that she's a very spontaneous person who says what she thinks and acts accordingly. She's not a calm person and she can't hold her emotions back. For her, getting on with the work is her priority, the coffee is just a drink and the drawer is her last concern. Or maybe she thinks she'll be putting the milk back in later, so leaving the drawer open indicates that she has unfinished business. I, on the other hand, can't work if the drawer is open. So, I invent all kinds of strategies to get over to the drawer and close it without her thinking I'm nagging her. So I go over to the window and mention the weather, then give the drawer a nudge. Or I make a cup of tea that I don't want, just so I can close the drawer.

I met Anna's husband about a year ago. He said, "Does she drive you mad?"
One more thing: Anna also puts down the phone with way too much force. When she finishes a conversation she flings the receiver down with a violent flourish. Once, she did it really hard and it bounced off the phone and onto the floor. That's when I knew it was her, not me, the problem.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:18 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
I'd say the person who is concerned with closed drawers is the OCD. The person leaving the drawers partly open is definitely non-OCD. No mystery there.
And for good measure NO WIRE HANGERS !

Old 02-21-2020, 01:06 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heneka View Post
I had never been bothered about this until I started working with Anna. Every afternoon she makes a coffee on the small chest of drawers we have in our shared office. It's got a tray with a kettle on top, a few cups, and tea bags, coffee and powdered milk in the top drawer. Every few weeks I clean the tray and tidy around. I am far from being obsessional. Going back to Anna: day after day she takes the powdered milk out of the drawer, leaving the drawer wide open, shakes the milk into her coffee, then puts the milk on her desk and goes back to her work on the computer. I don't care where she leaves the milk, but the drawer!!!! The drawer remains open. When I see it, I kind of freeze in panic and a wave of sweat goes over my body. It's one of those office-style drawers where all it takes is a slight push and the whole drawer slides back into place with a satisfying click. How can she leave it open? How can she? My explanation is that she's a very spontaneous person who says what she thinks and acts accordingly. She's not a calm person and she can't hold her emotions back. For her, getting on with the work is her priority, the coffee is just a drink and the drawer is her last concern. Or maybe she thinks she'll be putting the milk back in later, so leaving the drawer open indicates that she has unfinished business. I, on the other hand, can't work if the drawer is open. So, I invent all kinds of strategies to get over to the drawer and close it without her thinking I'm nagging her. So I go over to the window and mention the weather, then give the drawer a nudge. Or I make a cup of tea that I don't want, just so I can close the drawer.

One more thing: Anna also puts down the phone with way too much force. When she finishes a conversation she flings the receiver down with a violent flourish. Once, she did it really hard and it bounced off the phone and onto the floor. That's when I knew it was her, not me, the problem.
Why all of the drama? Just go and close it.

Old 02-21-2020, 02:33 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
I can't understand people who won't spend a few seconds of time, to tighten the screw behind their desk drawer handle. My boss's drawer handle would get so extremely loose that it would actually fall out, and the entire handle with it. The same way with door knobs, and with plastic screws behind toilet seats. Often the doorknob, or the seat, gets so wobbly and loose that it practically comes off. You can easily tighten it with a coin.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:35 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heneka View Post

You are saying Anna is "not a calm person and she can't hold her emotions back"
But you're reaction at an open drawer is " When I see it, I kind of freeze in panic and a wave of sweat goes over my body"

Old 02-21-2020, 06:47 PM

Well, I don't know why people wouldn't close a drawer generally. I understand exceptions but I'm speaking as a general rule.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:51 PM

My husband doesn't turn off lights or lock doors - which means that I make the rounds at night and do it. This is fine - but one time recently he was working on something in the den and I was getting ready for bed and I said, "Honey, can you be sure to turn that light off before you come to bed?" and he looked at me and said, "Of course I will. I always do."

So apparently he really thinks that he turns off lights! WHAT THE HECK! I honestly do not get this mindset. I mean, I might occasionally forget to turn off a light or lock a door but it's very occasionally - like a few times a year at the most. This is an every single day thing for him - he does not think about it, so he does not do it. I mean, except maybe once in a blue moon, he may think,"Hey, maybe I'll turn off this light or lock this door!" But it's random and sporadic at best. But he thinks he does it always. Always.

Mind. Blown.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:00 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband doesn't turn off lights or lock doors - which means that I make the rounds at night and do it. This is fine - but one time recently he was working on something in the den and I was getting ready for bed and I said, "Honey, can you be sure to turn that light off before you come to bed?" and he looked at me and said, "Of course I will. I always do."

So apparently he really thinks that he turns off lights! WHAT THE HECK! I honestly do not get this mindset. I mean, I might occasionally forget to turn off a light or lock a door but it's very occasionally - like a few times a year at the most. This is an every single day thing for him - he does not think about it, so he does not do it. I mean, except maybe once in a blue moon, he may think,"Hey, maybe I'll turn off this light or lock this door!" But it's random and sporadic at best. But he thinks he does it always. Always.

Mind. Blown.
IDK what lights on has to do with open drawers, but anyway you already posted this in your previous venting about all of your husbands absent mindedness in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology