Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 05:47 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times

Advertisements

Seeing a chicken running around without its head, probably about age 3?

Chain gangs working along the roadside in NC; must have been early 60s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 01:06 AM

3,076 posts, read 1,683,929 times
WOW! Well, I remember holding my mother's purse for a photo snap from her Brownie camera. I have a copy of that picture and I was about 2-1/2 years old.

Mom took me with her to a friend's house to visit and play with the little girl that was a year older than I. I remember her showing me her drawer of toys and when I reached in to touch something she grabbed my hand and bit into it hard. I was 2-1/2 to 3 years old. (When my mother actually caught the girl being mean, that was the end of the visits.)

I remember sitting in the pickup alone while my father went into a neighbor's house (rural) for something but I think it was only for a few minutes. I only remember just.... sitting there. And, again, I was in that same age group.

I remember having an accident on the kitchen floor during my potty-training period and Mom, standing at the stove in her apron, was horrified. I ran for the bathroom. I'm going to assume I was around 2-1/2 or so.

These descriptions I remember well enough, but they're very short.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:41 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
living at my grandparents house was my first memory

Old 11-09-2016, 07:01 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
Walking with my grandfather (and I guess my grandmother) down a wide scenic street that leads to a world-famous lake. I was 4 at most. It's my only memory of him. (My first very clear memory relates to news of his death.)

Old 11-09-2016, 08:44 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,194,363 times
I have a few, but it's hard to place them in order.

Like I remember going to school for the very first time, and I wasn't happy about it. I remember asking my mother why I had to go. lol I believe I was 4, but going on 5 -since my b-day is Sept.

But before that, I remember going to my grandparents house, because I was too young for school. So my mother dropped me off there, and took my brother to school. Would have had to been 4 then.

I remember lots of pieces from my childhood. But I couldn't put them in order. lol

Old 11-10-2016, 12:34 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,051,562 times
Going to some type of open air market where farm animals were sold also. Seeing a little girl climb up on a fence and the fence collapsing. I was maybe 3 yrs old. Also remember seeing my Grandfather on my dad's side for the first time in an airport. Coming down a hallway and me running up to him with his arms open. About 3 yrs old also.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:22 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,194,363 times
I will change my answer. I always remembered this. I was around 3, or at best 4. And I recall choking on some food. It may have been grapes. And I remember my mother being frantic, and shaking me, hitting my back, before running outside to practically throw me to my father.

Everything turned out fine of course. But there is a memory gap there. I can't recall the in-between. but I remember sitting in my mother's lap later that night while she held me. Then told me to slow down when eating, and chew my food better lol

Old 11-10-2016, 09:52 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,132,512 times
Helping my grandma in her rose garden. Actually, walking around and touching the roses, lol. I must have been about 3. I remember her wearing a garden type of hat.

Then another early memory in that time frame was running off to see the next door neighbor's dog. My mom said I would put my face next to the dog and the dog would be talking to me. She said I would run up to every dog I saw and hug them.

To this day, two of my favorite things are dogs and roses.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:57 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I think it was my little brother being born (I would have been exactly 2 years and 3 months old).

Or when I ran into into a door and needed stitches...but I don't know how old I was then. I just remember the look of horror on my mother's face as I was running and looking at her and didn't realize I was about to run into a door.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:34 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,416,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
I will change my answer. I always remembered this. I was around 3, or at best 4. And I recall choking on some food. It may have been grapes. And I remember my mother being frantic, and shaking me, hitting my back, before running outside to practically throw me to my father.

Everything turned out fine of course. But there is a memory gap there. I can't recall the in-between. but I remember sitting in my mother's lap later that night while she held me. Then told me to slow down when eating, and chew my food better lol
I would imagine that traumatic-like experiences (such as this) are more prone to being committed to memory just by their very nature. That is, the rarity of such an event entailing the physical upset to one's normal state of well-being (after all, we aren't normally going through each single day of our lives choking on our food and then multiple times each day and having others panic over and attend to us in such a state of emergency). That would facilitate it becoming a memorable experience for anyone (I imagine).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology