Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 05:47 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I have bits of memories from when I was three or four--preschool, the house where I lived when I was little, things like that. My earliest memory is very vague and, like TabulaRasa says, I don't really have the words to explain it. I have a feeling I am in my parents' bedroom but have no visual clues in my memory, just a blue light through a barrier, like a curtain. Moonlight perhaps. I associate this memory with my mother and feeling upset.
I can relate,,,,

smells do it for me........still do 48 yrs later

a certain "wiff" will take me back,,,,,, and some smells take me wayyyy back... to where things are wavy ....the slight wiff of laundry detergent ..... can almost stop me in my tracks.. I actually think this is my earliest memory because I can easily freak myself out about this one aroma... it use to send chills up my spine,,, its a special smell but I cannot remember or attach anything directly to it....

tangerine/mandarin oranges also take me wayyy back along with lifesaver and the smell of a Christmas tree

I can remember my mother tanking a hankerchief and wiping my face while she was smoking (late 60's) and I'm on her knee

and of course play dough ....

I remember sitting on the center console in the front seat of the car ....

certain sights can also take ..... earlier today I saw a hot wheels and the same hot wheels logo......as it was 45 yrs ago.....

I once read.....we only remember the last time we remembered and not the original memory if that makes any sense

I remember the smell of bang caps .... when I was less than 5

I remember being at my great grandmothers at around 4 yrs old....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 10:35 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
I was about 2 years old. I know this because of how my younger sister looks in the memory and because of where it takes place. I remember walking down the street to see some neighbors. I liked it because they had older kids that would play with me. I remember playing in the front yard of that house with our dog. I also remember when the dog died.

I remember quite a few things from the time I was 3: Playing outside, my mother and my dad's cousin drinking tea with milk in the kitchen and letting me have my own little cup, jumping on the beds with my sister, watching my mother do laundry in the basement and riding my trike around, climbing the stairs to our apartment, etc. My two most vivid memories from that time: waking up from a nap and lying on the kitchen floor. At that exact moment a mouse ran through the kitchen. I ran into the living room where mom was ironing and jumped up on the couch. My sister also became very sick during that time. I recall waking up and walking into the bathroom. My parents and some relatives that lived next door were in the bathroom with my sister. They had her in a tub of cold water trying to bring down her fever. The smell of rubbing alcohol is strong. At that time people would try to bring a fever down with rubbing alcohol in a bath. I remember one of my grandmothers taking me to see at the hospital a few days later. Grandma lifted me up so I could see my sister through the large glass window.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:44 AM

13,634 posts, read 10,040,055 times
It was suffocation. (Asthma). Maybe three years old, but I think younger. On the floor in front of the stove. No good memories, nothing.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:51 PM

776 posts, read 581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
It was suffocation. (Asthma). Maybe three years old, but I think younger. On the floor in front of the stove. No good memories, nothing.
I read somewhere that your first few memories are most likely traumatic. Your brain is under more stress during these events and your brain wants you to remember these instances more so you don't do them again. I think my first two or three memories had to do with burning myself. To clarify, I meant stoves and a car hood in the sun, not some self abuse stuff (etc.).

Old 11-12-2016, 03:43 PM

312 posts, read 277,701 times
My mother went to college after having me and joined a sorority. During homecoming, they crafted a giant Elvis for the side of their building. It swiveled its hips. We went to see it at night in her convertible. Made a big impression on me, obviously, even at 2 or 3 years old.

Years later I figured out that Elvis and I had the same birthday. (He was great but it was the Beatles that changed my life.)

Old 11-12-2016, 06:52 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
I remember being in the front yard of our house with my parents in about May of 1951. I was born in September, 1948, so I would have been about 2 1/2 years old. The yard was shady and they were planting pansies. I was wearing a pair of bright red shorts and a white eyelet embroidery bare midriff top. I've seen pictures of me in those clothes, so I'm pretty sure that's why I remember them, but the pansies and the springtime... that's definitely a genuine memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology