Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 07:20 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,066,670 times

Advertisements

Are people really this fragile?!

Let's get one thing straight. By any objective measure, there was an average # of 'celeb' deaths this year.

But my god, the sheer volume of static out there about people being devastated by the carnage, and gutted and depressed about it, seriously, this is just for show, right?

Sure, when Bowie died, I may have cranked up the volume on 'Heroes,' and when Carrie Fisher died I went looking for my copy of 'Postcards,' and in general I probably paused for maybe a moment and thought kind thoughts for them and their families. But....that's it.

It starts to devalue actual devastating events like the death of a spouse or child or parent, or heck even a lifelong pet or friend. Or an illness diagnosis or job loss. Those things are worth being devastated over. How are these people going to handle those kinds of events??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 07:37 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,807,370 times
Its what makes "us" human..we feel for others.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:29 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,040,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Its what makes "us" human..we feel for others.
That's kinda the point though... People die every day. Look around.

But when a celebrity dies people lose their minds over it - or at least post it on Facebook for everybody to think they're losing their minds. A friend of mine posted a big dramatic, "DEBBIE REYNOLDS TOO?!?! **** YOU 2016!!"

She didn't know Debbie Reynolds, or Carrie Fisher either one personally, so why the drama?

Old 01-01-2017, 08:59 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,993,151 times
I don't get it either. I think about the celebrity for a minute or a little while, then that's it. I don't understand why people believe celebrities' lives and deaths are so much more important than others. Robin Williams is no more important than John Smith, an accountant from Boise, Idaho. The fact that Robin was in tons of movies and made zillions of dollars doesn't make his death any more of a loss to humanity. John Smith's friends and family will miss him. John's loss will leave a void in this world, as will Robin's.

Recognition doesn't equal importance to me. Contribution to society it more of a factor. I will say that celebrities usually do a lot of philanthropic work and in that way they contribute much to the world. But the actual absence of them in movies, TV, and music should not make them superior to anyone else.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,224,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post

But when a celebrity dies people lose their minds over it - or at least post it on Facebook for everybody to think they're losing their minds. A friend of mine posted a big dramatic, "DEBBIE REYNOLDS TOO?!?! **** YOU 2016!!"

She didn't know Debbie Reynolds, or Carrie Fisher either one personally, so why the drama?
You know I really wouldn't take some dramatic posting on social media seriously. If your friend was this histrionic about a celebrities death in real life then yeah but on the internet people tend to exaggerate their emotions.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:58 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,284,784 times
famous people /celebrities,,, and the wealthy cannot buy the one thing we eventually run out of and that's "time"

its a reminder like the tabloids....,.even the beautiful people are messed up and of course die

I do think some celebrity deaths stings...because often its a reminder of how old we are getting ,,,,, too

Old 01-01-2017, 06:14 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,040,335 times
The deaths of Carrie and Debbie were notable in their quick succession but other than that, they were both of the age where natural death happens. There was nothing notable about either death.

When a celebrity dies from drugs or some other self-inflicted form of stupidity, I shake my head and don't bother thinking much about them. Just another suicidal idiot.

I don't get the worship of celebrities in any form. They are mere mortals, like the rest of us.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:16 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,301,617 times
It's my belief that a lot of people lack real friendships and celebrities are what replaces them. That the real issue -- too many people living life on their devices instead of really living.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:19 PM

8,513 posts, read 6,931,104 times
We go through our daily routines in this world focusing on living and pushing away thoughts of death. When a celebrity passes on it is someone we instantly recognize. A popular entertainer, respected community leader or sports figure. It reminds us of the fragility and short tenure of life itself. When we mourn a celebrity we mourn ourselves.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:02 PM

20,091 posts, read 13,546,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post

Mod cut: Political commentary.

My wife, however, who in all other respects does not follow nor is impressed by celebrity, invariably becomes maudlin when an entertainer or actor dies that she identifies with her own salad days or whose circumstances are relatable to her (for example, she is the same sort of rather over-devoted mother as Debbie Reynolds was). So this year, when Bowie and Prince died for example she was playing their music and rather obsessing about them for days after. The reason of course is that it is a way of processing the fact of her own mortality and advancing years. In a way it's letting go of anchor points of her own past.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-02-2017 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology