Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 09:06 PM

6,604 posts, read 5,008,846 times

Advertisements

Years ago, a friend of mine who participated in auto sports died. He had a heart attack while at an event. I went to his service a couple of states away. It was a beautiful sunrise ceremony on the beach. I was sad as I did know him personally but once back I got on with my life just fine.

I had a friend who told me it was "just like" Dale Ernhardt's death, and how badly it affected him. I was confused and asked if he knew Dale, as he'd never mentioned that to me before. He said no, just watched him on TV.

I agree that Dale's death was also sad, but please don't compare your feelings of someone you'd only seen on TV to my feelings of someone I actually knew personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 09:11 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,766,574 times
I, too, think it's silly to get upset when someone we never knew personally dies. We have to keep these things in their correct perspective. Celebrities that I admire have died, and I felt for them and their families. It happens. My father also died, and that was more important. Not to anyone who didn't know him, but to me and my family. Perspective. People who obsess over celebrities need a more productive hobby.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:29 PM

17,154 posts, read 12,993,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What I find interesting is that most of us don't think about these celebrities at all for years or even decades until they die, then we think, "What a tragedy! Mr./Ms. Actor is dead! I will miss seeing them so much!" How many people actually spent a single minute thinking about Carrie Reynolds or Debbie Fisher in the past five or ten years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
You clearly are NOT a fan of Star Wars, or Carrie Fisher at all, if you think that way. Did you even know she was also an author?

Just because you haven't thought about celebrity X in a decade doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same.
I'm not assuming everyone thinks as I do. I said many think as I do, and clearly many do, as evidenced by the opinions of others on this thread.

Quote:
Again, people who don't understand emotional reactions to these deaths are clearly not fans, not followers of these actors/musicians. Why do you care that other people are affected by something that doesn't effect you? Is it interfering with your life somehow?
No. The thread discusses overly sentimental feelings toward celebrity deaths, people none of us will never meet, never talk to, and never see, and that's what we're discussing. We're giving our opinions. It seems you're the one being oversensitive toward other people whose opinions differ from your own.

Quote:
I'm not a shill, I'm not "looking for attention," and I'm not "fragile." David Bowie has been a huge part of my life for literally 30 years. Robin Williams brought joy to millions of people while wrestling with his own demons, which eventually took his life. Carrie Fisher was one of the first female "action heroes" - not something that a lot of us 70s and 80s girls had example of. Believe it or not, famous people can have a profound effect on ordinary people.

All of us should be so lucky that when we die, people outside of our immediate family give a damn.
Maybe so, but celebrities still don't have much affect on many people. Even after they die, their deaths are in the news for a little while, then then life goes on, as it has before.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:20 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,807,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
That's kinda the point though... People die every day. Look around.

But when a celebrity dies people lose their minds over it - or at least post it on Facebook for everybody to think they're losing their minds. A friend of mine posted a big dramatic, "DEBBIE REYNOLDS TOO?!?! **** YOU 2016!!"

She didn't know Debbie Reynolds, or Carrie Fisher either one personally, so why the drama?
Because we dont know all those millions of others dying ever day... I feel for children in hospitals dying long before their time, I feel for road accidents when a life is taken unexpectedly even if I dont know them.. We sometimes feel the well known preson dying is part of our life or our past whether through music, seeing them acting or someone in the public eye who we like or respect....I feel sad about Debbie too, more because of the situation and why she died more than dying of old age... yes I do find it sad..

Old 01-03-2017, 05:51 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,040,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Because we dont know all those millions of others dying ever day... I feel for children in hospitals dying long before their time, I feel for road accidents when a life is taken unexpectedly even if I dont know them.. We sometimes feel the well known preson dying is part of our life or our past whether through music, seeing them acting or someone in the public eye who we like or respect....I feel sad about Debbie too, more because of the situation and why she died more than dying of old age... yes I do find it sad..
Finding it sad is one thing, and I don't think there's anybody who doesn't - especially given the circumstances of Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds.

The point of the discussion though is OVERsentemantality. Like my friend who posted the dramatic "DEBBIE REYNOLDS TOO?!?! **** YOU 2016!!" on facebook. And I saw dozens just like that too.. Things like "Wow, George Michael died.. 2016 has really sucked!"

Point being, if your life is tied to these celebrities that much, then maybe its time to reevaluate some priorities..

Old 01-03-2017, 09:18 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,526,099 times
I don't get it either, but not a big celebrity follower.

Think part of it is many of these people who died were part of a Boomers upbringing and we are all getting old.

LOL when I hear them scream and curse how bad 2016 was. Really they think 2017 will be any better?

30 + years ago the greatest generation were losing their celebrity peers. And they weren't crying or overwhelmed about it.

Social media just makes things worse.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:24 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,397,626 times
Allen Thicke? Really who cares? Zsa Zsa Gabor, ditto. World famous endocrinologists die everyday and they saved millions of lives...and no once cares. We live in an celebrity obsessed culture. If someone great like David Bowie dies, he is immortalized in his art and can listen to his music...he like other truly greats transcend life in some ways. Do I miss David Bowie? No, I didn't know him? Do I miss his music? No, I can listen anytime. Was is sad he died? Yah, for a day.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:17 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,450,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

No. The thread discusses overly sentimental feelings toward celebrity deaths, people none of us will never meet, never talk to, and never see, and that's what we're discussing. We're giving our opinions. It seems you're the one being oversensitive toward other people whose opinions differ from your own.
The difference is I'm not telling people how they should feel or how they should respond. There is a difference between people having different opinions and telling other people what they are supposed to do.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:35 PM

2,793 posts, read 1,649,890 times
You watch a TV show/movie, listen to a song, see an athlete win a game, you like it, they make you HAPPY, now you want to know everything about them. Sounds normal to me. It's similar to making a new friend or getting into a new romantic relationship.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:31 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,462,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I cry and grieve over the death of a beloved pet more than the death of a celebrity I've never met. I'm already sick of hearing about Carrie and her mother. People go on and on about it. It's fake to me. I guess that's the PC thing to do these days -- be fake, and act devastated over a stranger's death. It means your more compassionate than real people.
Are you on Facebook all the time or something? I'm not and I haven't heard anybody going "on and on."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology