Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 01:41 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,325,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
And that's whats wrong with the world.
Exactly but you can't change the world only yourself.

My interpretation of life is different than repeating a cycle but alot of people believe it to be.

Live your life and learn to not worry what people think.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:56 PM

641 posts, read 405,843 times
Quote:
This is something I've always wondered.

Society pressures people to couple up, commit, settle down and gave kids. Anytime someone deviates from that norm.. people freak. Obviously people don't freak as much as in the past, but there is still some discomfort with the idea that someone wants to stay single.

As a single guy in my early 30's I've noticed the increasing pressure and questions about my choice to stay single. What I don't understand is why anyone cares. If you are happy following the traditional cookie-cutter lifestyle you were told to follow.. what does that have to do with me?

I haven't decided yet if I will ever get married or have kids, but I find the idea less appealing the older I get. So I might possibly stay single for life or at least for the foreseeable future. I would rather just date people and have fun lighthearted relationships with no agenda.
As an early 30s single I haven't really noticed this. People can pry a bit sometimes, but i'm known for being reserved and private by people who know me so people typically respect my boundaries.

If I was ever pressured by anyone (which hasn't happened tbf) i'd tell them to mind their own business.

Maybe you need to keep more of a low profile or just don't bring the subject up.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:20 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,533,575 times
Quote:
This is something I've always wondered.

Society pressures people to couple up, commit, settle down and gave kids. Anytime someone deviates from that norm.. people freak. Obviously people don't freak as much as in the past, but there is still some discomfort with the idea that someone wants to stay single.

As a single guy in my early 30's I've noticed the increasing pressure and questions about my choice to stay single. What I don't understand is why anyone cares. If you are happy following the traditional cookie-cutter lifestyle you were told to follow.. what does that have to do with me?

I haven't decided yet if I will ever get married or have kids, but I find the idea less appealing the older I get. So I might possibly stay single for life or at least for the foreseeable future. I would rather just date people and have fun lighthearted relationships with no agenda.
Many reasons mate

Some won't understand it, to compare theirs to yours, to get ideas, even to make them feel good etc

I'm in the same boat as you pretty much with age, single etc and I LOVE it at present and won't let anyone's opinion influence my choices

Old 04-23-2017, 02:21 PM

226 posts, read 298,234 times
I used to ask my son why he wasn't more interested in getting married and having children. I suppose that translates to putting pressure on him. I was brought up to believe that's what you do and expected he would do the same, but he had other ideas. Changes come about more slowly in the conservative Bible belt of our nation and the older generations are slower to accept change as well, but it is happening. I no longer question my son's lifestyle. He's happy. That's all that really matters to me anyway.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:25 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,661,613 times
Because I'm a pervert

Old 04-23-2017, 02:41 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
I assure you, OP, when it comes down to it, most people don't give a damn about other peoples sex lives.

Furthermore, I believe, anyone who's truly happy being single wouldn't make any effort in proving/announcing it to anyone. Happy people very rarely complain about anything.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:42 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,346,235 times
Looking at the title of this thread, I'm not interested, nor do I care about others' sex lives!

Old 04-23-2017, 03:00 PM

641 posts, read 405,843 times
Quote:
As a single guy in my early 30's I've noticed the increasing pressure and questions about my choice to stay single.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherron View Post
I used to ask my son why he wasn't more interested in getting married and having children. I suppose that translates to putting pressure on him. I was brought up to believe that's what you do and expected he would do the same, but he had other ideas. Changes come about more slowly in the conservative Bible belt of our nation and the older generations are slower to accept change as well, but it is happening. I no longer question my son's lifestyle. He's happy. That's all that really matters to me anyway.
Asking questions from curiosity can be different to putting pressure on. For example, variants of "Why are you still single?" can be asked in different ways and contexts.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:09 PM

226 posts, read 298,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaa2 View Post
Asking questions from curiosity can be different to putting pressure on. For example, variants of "Why are you still single?" can be asked in different ways and contexts.
That's true but I was asking with the expectation of his getting married and having children and he knew it. It made him uncomfortable. If there's one thing I've learned as a parent to adult children it's to not make them feel uncomfortable or else they will stop calling you and stop answering your calls to them. Don't want that to happen!

Old 04-23-2017, 03:49 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Why does anyone care? Well, because people buying into a social philosophy (or religious philosophy) want validation from others. Anyone who thinks or acts in a contrary fashion is a threat to the status quo, and may make the believers question their social conditioning ... which leads to anarchy! LOL

So, they hope to enlist you into their views, as misery loves company. Hey, that's just MY theory!
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaa2 View Post
As an early 30s single I haven't really noticed this. People can pry a bit sometimes, but i'm known for being reserved and private by people who know me so people typically respect my boundaries.

If I was ever pressured by anyone (which hasn't happened tbf) i'd tell them to mind their own business.

Maybe you need to keep more of a low profile or just don't bring the subject up.
reserved and private by people who know me so people typically respect my boundaries. LOL, you have no idea what they say behind your back (trust me!). I am 32 also single and reserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology