Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 05:11 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Did they pull the 'gay card' on you yet?

That always upset me when I was single.
At a recent family dinner some gay bashing took place (which had never happened before). I suspect they did it to see if I would get upset and out myself as gay.

No one outside my family thinks I'm gay because they have all seen me with girls. I don't tell family about girls I date because they ask too many questions. Also, my relationships are always short term so it leads to more questions when I stop seeing a girl. If she leaves, then I did something offensive. If I leave, I'm a jerk. Who needs that nonsense? So when they ask me I just say I'm not dating anyone. Even if I am.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
The fact that you think people asking about why you're single is actually them being "interested in your sex life" says a whole lot about your sensitivities in this area.
Example? I don't follow.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:39 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,542,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
This is something I've always wondered.

Society pressures people to couple up, commit, settle down and gave kids. Anytime someone deviates from that norm.. people freak. Obviously people don't freak as much as in the past, but there is still some discomfort with the idea that someone wants to stay single.

As a single guy in my early 30's I've noticed the increasing pressure and questions about my choice to stay single. What I don't understand is why anyone cares. If you are happy following the traditional cookie-cutter lifestyle you were told to follow.. what does that have to do with me?

I haven't decided yet if I will ever get married or have kids, but I find the idea less appealing the older I get. So I might possibly stay single for life or at least for the foreseeable future. I would rather just date people and have fun lighthearted relationships with no agenda.

Well you got me. Your thread is titled about the "sex lives" of other people, so I thought it would be about how people are nosy and want to know what other people do in bed and then try to make laws governing that. Instead it is a thread about pressure to marry and have children. These are not the same thing.

However I will say that there is no "we" in this anyway. In either case I think it is largely people who are unfulfilled in their own lives, or at least very bored, who make inquiries and put pressure. Usually this comes from friends or family and sometimes they think they mean well but it is almost never people who are happy or busy in their own lives who put pressure on others to be like them. I see it as "misery loves company."

Old 04-23-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
Well you got me. Your thread is titled about the "sex lives" of other people, so I thought it would be about how people are nosy and want to know what other people do in bed and then try to make laws governing that. Instead it is a thread about pressure to marry and have children. These are not the same thing.

However I will say that there is no "we" in this anyway. In either case I think it is largely people who are unfulfilled in their own lives, or at least very bored, who make inquiries and put pressure. Usually this comes from friends or family and sometimes they think they mean well but it is almost never people who are happy or busy in their own lives who put pressure on others to be like them. I see it as "misery loves company."
Yes. I would agree that people generally care less about what others are going when they're own lives are on track and/or very busy.

I don't think the thread title is misleading. Dating and kids are related to your sex life.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:52 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Who is complaining? I'm asking a question.

Also, happy people totally prove/announce it to people. Its called "celebrating".

Try not to paint such a broad brush. Everyone is not the same in how they express themselves.
Sorry, dude. What was your question, again, that you wanted advice or thoughts on?

Oh, why are "we" so interested in other peoples love life? Talk about painting a broad brush with "we". Lol

Like I said, nobody cares about anyone's love/sex life, but whats happening with their own lives.

As for pestering/pressuring? Ive never once heard a person forced into a relationship at gun point.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:54 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
At a recent family dinner some gay bashing took place (which had never happened before). I suspect they did it to see if I would get upset and out myself as gay.

No one outside my family thinks I'm gay because they have all seen me with girls. I don't tell family about girls I date because they ask too many questions. Also, my relationships are always short term so it leads to more questions when I stop seeing a girl. If she leaves, then I did something offensive. If I leave, I'm a jerk. Who needs that nonsense? So when they ask me I just say I'm not dating anyone. Even if I am.
Lots of gay/lesbian people *date* the opposite gender in front of their family.....

Old 04-23-2017, 06:06 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
Why are we so interested in the sex lives of other people?

I'm not......if that matters.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:09 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Why are we so interested in the sex lives of other people?

I'm not......if that matters.
Yeah, OP; who is this "we" you refer to in the thread title? Speak for yourself.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:26 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,984,194 times
I think people are interested to the extent it can improve their own sex life.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:57 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,542,441 times
Quote:
Yes. I would agree that people generally care less about what others are going when they're own lives are on track and/or very busy.

I don't think the thread title is misleading. Dating and kids are related to your sex life.
I would not make that assumption. People are asking you about your relationships, not who you are sleeping with, right?

Anyway I can not blame you for keeping your lovelife (how is that for a good compromise on a word?) from your family if they ask nosy questions and pass judgment on you. My family never did that but for us it is that you do not bring people around unless you are very serious and planning to live with one another or marry.

Fortunately I am old enough that it is rare anybody asks. But when I was younger? Oh, at weddings it was terrible. I will never forget the older brother of a friend who got married. It was very embarrassing how he went on about "No? You aren't dating ANYbody? NObody at ALL? Why not? Is there really NO ONE at ALL?" Finally my friend told him "Will you shut up and go get us some beer?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology