Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 01:57 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,986 times

Advertisements

I'm adamant I don't need any medication. This kind of substance can cause serious long-term hormonal changes and not for the best. Plus, they can get quite addictive. I may have anxiety, but I know for fact this is not serious enough to require medication. I'm fairly balanced otherwise.

I'm always very honest with my therapist since she's the only person I can confide in, without being judged.

I discussed my anxiety and all the feelings I mentioned in my original post. She directly told me 'This sounds like Imposter Syndrome'. She made me understand the roots of this feeling and anxiety.

For those who think therapy is throwing your money out of the window ... it depends on the therapist! This woman reads my mind. Sometimes, she takes the words out of my mouth, before I even have the time to say them. I noticed that she verbalizes everything I feel deep inside. I know this sort of connection with a therapist is quite rare, but I have to say, for someone to read your mind the way she does mine, she has to be pretty good.

I saw another therapist 5 years prior and he was terrible. We didn't mesh. He didn't understand me and it's as though we were speaking two different languages.

Hence, I have enough material to create a comparison scale. This woman is great. I'm sure she's not always going to fully understand me because we're humans, but so far, it's as though I am talking to an enlightened friend, rather than a therapist. I think this is a good sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 06:54 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Hi all,

I am requesting your help regarding something I have been experiencing.

For the last two or three months, I have been absolutely obsessed with my job. I love my job. However, I feel as though my obsession is more than just 'loving my job'.

I am obsessed with being the first one in the office. I barely have lunch because I cannot disconnect from work and therefore wind up having lunch at my desk. I also cannot disconnect and stay late even when it's not required.

At first it was fine, but I have developed a certain 'paranoia'. Last week, I received an excellent feedback from two senior managers who overlook several departments (which never happened to anyone who worked on my market). I was pleased with myself. However, I still have this paranoia of 'underperforming' or if someone does't respond to my email, they must think I'm incompetent.

I have this massive paranoia where in my head, some people think I'm hugely incompetent. I cannot get this out of my head.

I'm not even hungry anymore, I'm constantly tired because I always think of work. I'm constantly shaking (probably because I barely eat).

I'm not sure why I am so obsessed with this 'incompetence' aspect. I had a few issues with a few people at work today, because they didn't read certain documents properly or didn't follow procedure properly, so I had to obviously correct these miscommunications on their end. However, now I have this bizarre thought where I think they're going to hate me.

I have no clue what is wrong with me. Can anyone advise?

Thank you!
Hello

Right you're doing nothing wrong as such however in MY opinion having a perfect work/life balance does make you more efficient, energetic and even popular at work

It's great you want to make a good impression but you know what they say about " all work and no play "

Also if you feel you're not good enough and seek approval from your peers ( what you've said above basically amounts to that ) then perhaps by working on yourself by going out with friends/socially etc and seeing that people ARE indeed fond of you would put your mind at rest in this respect which again would help with you frantically trying to impress everyone and feeling you're not good enough?.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:28 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
I'm adamant I don't need any medication. This kind of substance can cause serious long-term hormonal changes and not for the best. Plus, they can get quite addictive. I may have anxiety, but I know for fact this is not serious enough to require medication. I'm fairly balanced otherwise.
I assure you that drug treatment is not necessary, particularly in your situation as I understand it. You are quite correct in rejecting such suggestions. Particularly M.D.s prescribing such drugs to patients in an environment that does not include counseling has given this practice a very bad name. There is no pill your family doctor can prescribe that will help a mental health problem. Only counseling can fix that type of problem. Sometimes prescriptions may help, other times not. It is most often the case that this is discussed between therapist and patient, and my experience is that therapists lean towards letting patients make the ultimate decision. And of course in the end nobody can force a patient to take drugs (except in-patients). Just ignore those who tell you to take the magic pill.

Quote:
For those who think therapy is throwing your money out of the window ... it depends on the therapist! This woman reads my mind. Sometimes, she takes the words out of my mouth, before I even have the time to say them. I noticed that she verbalizes everything I feel deep inside. I know this sort of connection with a therapist is quite rare, but I have to say, for someone to read your mind the way she does mine, she has to be pretty good.
You're banging my drum! I can't count the number of times I have suggested to people with problems that they should seek help from the mental healthcare system. I always suggest that those who are not making therapeutic progress should try a different therapist.

You have clearly found your perfect therapist!

Old 05-21-2017, 04:37 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Maybe your job/work is just you. Your entertainment, your social life, your defining action.

After 32 years, you may feel differently. Trust me.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Maybe your job/work is just you. Your entertainment, your social life, your defining action.

After 32 years, you may feel differently. Trust me.
How do you feel about it, in your own terms?

This in the spirit of your statement, "trust me." I'd love to hear your own story.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:57 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
How do you feel about it, in your own terms?
I cannot wait to escape the confines of work. End of the year is a long, long way off.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I cannot wait to escape the confines of work. End of the year is a long, long way off.
Then let me be the first to welcome you to what may be the best part of your life!

As a fellow escapee, the 40+ hours + commute time = in proportion DOUBLING the amount of life (assuming same sleep schedule) that you will have available to apply to your own personal goals rather than to appeasing the corporate gods.

Please consider this: Assuming age 65 and estimated 30 years remaining, if you DOUBLE your personal use and appreciation of your remaining time then that is not 30 years to go, it is effectively 60 years to go!

I just realized this yesterday. Maybe, just maybe, maybe your last 30 years of life may just be the best 60 years of your life!

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology