Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 01:24 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,297,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Free parking at your local supermarket.

Awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 06:00 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,319 times
Based on the definitions given in the OP, I'd like to think of myself as a Nomad. I venture around to a variety of different subs and threads. Most of my interests (here at least) have been drawn to employment and psychology topics. On occasion, I visit the local sub to chime in on local real estate discussions. However, if a thread title catches my attention, I may contribute regardless of where it's located.

Truth be told, when I created this account last year, I came in with the intent to post on serious topics, use linked sources, use sourced data to support my arguments, etc. I quickly discovered that those types of posts are seldom acknowledged or rewarded. Where I receive most of my reps and responses are from the quick quips, not the longer, more insightful posts I've contributed. I decided not too long ago that this really isn't where or how I want to be spending my limited spare time, so I've curtailed my posting significantly. Ironically enough, I find it pointless to spend hours endlessly debating a topic with anonymous posters (real or fake; sincere or trolling) whom my opinion won't make a single impact on, and getting worked up/stressed out after said pointless debates.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:59 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Nice post Left-handed. +rep for you.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:24 PM

486 posts, read 992,872 times
The "Brigadoon" Poster

Appears out of the mists one day every hundred years, makes a few posts (may even start a thread) then fades back into the mists to lay dormant for another hundred years.

This would be me. I have been on C-D for seven years and I still have less than 500 posts. I guess most people on C-D would say it is a good thing that I don't post more often.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:00 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Truth be told, when I created this account last year, I came in with the intent to post on serious topics, use linked sources, use sourced data to support my arguments, etc. I quickly discovered that those types of posts are seldom acknowledged or rewarded. Where I receive most of my reps and responses are from the quick quips, not the longer, more insightful posts I've contributed. I decided not too long ago that this really isn't where or how I want to be spending my limited spare time, so I've curtailed my posting significantly. Ironically enough, I find it pointless to spend hours endlessly debating a topic with anonymous posters (real or fake; sincere or trolling) whom my opinion won't make a single impact on, and getting worked up/stressed out after said pointless debates.
I hear you Left-handed...

I find it also very difficult to inspire the "muse" or foster creativity on the forums. One forum I post on has a Joke Thread where people mostly post videos, comics and photo's of what they deem humorous, none of this material is original. Nearly all joke material poke fun at other people and categories, there is no "lateral" humor, or laughing at one's self (or one's particular category).

I have posted original material and much of it "lateral" in nature and have encouraged others to do so to no avail...

I once started a thread on the "Cats" forum to encourage posters to see cats in functional art (English Pub Signs and turn of the century Advertising Signs). It garnered ONE response... Yet a thread on cat films or movies can go 6 pages and over 50 responses! I'm sure "That Darned Cat" was an entertaining film, but films are entertainment fiction, the Pub and Advertising signs were/are real and functional.

I used to enjoy photo's of the Aurora Borealis on the Alaska Forum, only to discover the regular posters of these photo's stopped posting because their photo's were being stolen and were showing up on travel sites, etc. It turns out many of these posters have "fled" to Facebook and hardly post on C-D anymore.

I have been going "Topside" more lately and getting out of the Dungeon. Some great photo's still exist on other State/City/Country forums, and I find most of the folks very nice. People seem to really appreciate it when you express an interest or admiration of where they live. I'm thinking of heading over to the Canada Forum and inquire if anyone still pans for gold in the Yukon (and if they would tell me their spot...) or what their favorite Robert Service poem/story is.

So C-D is still a goldmine of good information and human interaction, one just has to seek it out, I suppose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
The "Brigadoon" Poster

Appears out of the mists one day every hundred years, makes a few posts (may even start a thread) then fades back into the mists to lay dormant for another hundred years.

This would be me. I have been on C-D for seven years and I still have less than 500 posts. I guess most people on C-D would say it is a good thing that I don't post more often.
I'm afraid I'm not much better peebola. I have been on C-D for ten years now with slightly over 1,300 posts.

"Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding"

Proverbs 17:27

Old 05-16-2018, 07:10 PM

I type fast and have been a member 10 years, and I'm very opinionated (and if not too immodest or self-serving, well educated).

I was for a time calculating reputation/post for various members. It's an interesting statistic that I wish forums included when they collect rep or thanks statistics. That would separate the heavy lifters from the dilettantes. At least by popular vote, which is of course what rep is.

In other words even an idiot could get 1,000 reps if they posted 1,000,000 posts. Thank the gods I'm not there yet. (You pick which.)

Old 05-16-2018, 08:18 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
I am seriously surprised people actually care about rep points.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Yet you have 8,600+ points as per this post.

Guessing you care about the quality of your posts, rep points are our indicator that we are succeeding.

Moderator cut: Statement unsatisfying to poster deleted at poster's request.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 05-19-2018 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 03:14 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
I didn't see a name for the type of poster that seems obligated ( or personally compelled) to reply to almost every post they come across.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:02 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,789 times
Quote:
I was for a time calculating reputation/post for various members. It's an interesting statistic that I wish forums included when they collect rep or thanks statistics. That would separate the heavy lifters from the dilettantes. At least by popular vote, which is of course what rep is.

In other words even an idiot could get 1,000 reps if they posted 1,000,000 posts. Thank the gods I'm not there yet. (You pick which.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
IMO, rep points are a poor measure of the worthiness of any C-D member given the following:

A. Cliques, friends and inner circle social groups can rep each other back and forth, re-repping as soon as they "spread it around" a little and the rep gun gets loaded again. I have a friend who rents her house out on Air B+B, she is friends with other AB+B renters and they give each other glowing reviews without even renting each other's places.

B. People that like social argument/debate threads can post back and forth rapidly, most of their quick responses don't get a rep, so their post numbers soar while rep points lag behind. Some of them are excellent and to the point in their debate participation.

C. As with my "Popularity Poster" profile, some members choose their threads/posts/words carefully to gain maximum rep points. They may not "post from the heart" or say what they really mean, do not "post with abandon where and when the spirit moves them (this a truly free C-D member IMO), etc. They literally have "sold out" to rep points and attention getting, and the quality of their content reflects this.

D. Time heals all low rep scores. If a poster takes long periods of time away from C-D, when they return the sheer length of time they are gone has folks who come across their already placed posts giving them a rep here or there.

I have come across members who post with alot of thought, intellect and emotion. Their content is very inspiring, yet rep points very low.

Quote:
I care if I satisfy my woman. I care if I satisfy my public. My rep points are a measure of how I satisfy my public. Her moans are a measure of how I satisfy her.
Seriously?....

This is REALLY uncalled for and in very poor taste! I for one feel this thread has some inspiring content, and would appreciate you keeping it "Family Friendly" so it doesn't wind up getting locked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology