Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 04:38 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Pfffft.

DH has worked in male dominated industries his whole life, there is never a shortage to gossip, cattiness and all the good stuff. I'm really not sure who we women got the reputation.

I think like most things, it just people in general.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 05:15 PM

11 posts, read 10,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Because their wives got to stay home and not face the brutal grinder of "work for survival" of the Industrial age. Going back to the "olden" days of agriculture, men worked along side their boys and taught them to be men.
LOL you're too cute. Women sat at home and ate chocolates all day while the men were out doing the real work, huh?

Many, many women worked in factories or in agricultural jobs or in other industries alongside men (but for far less pay). Society likes to erase women's contributions to the workforce but they existed.

It is a myth that all women used to be stay at home moms until recently. That was usually just middle class and up. And those middle class women were working their asses off cooking, cleaning, and taking care of kids. That work isn't easy either.

Both of my grandmothers worked full time. My dad's mom worked as a waitress on her feet all day and also worked at a convenience store. She sometimes used to take him to work when he was a baby so she would have to watch him and do her job at the same time. I certainly couldn't imagine taking care of a baby and working an one your feet service job at the same time.

My other grandmother was luckier. She worked at a bank and at least got to sit down. This might not be a "work for survival" job you were referring to, but it was still work.

Both of them also faced a fair amount of sexual harassment. My grandma that worked at the bank talked about how she got her butt pinched all the time and could do nothing about it.

But neither of those two women sat at home all day painting their nails and eating chocolates like in your fantasy.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:15 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
All this time women have been accused of being the catty, back biting, gossipy, petty, calculating, diabolical ones. Branded as witches and b----es. But now there's so much melodrama going on among men it's jaw dropping. In Washington D.C. it's very intense and very public. Name calling and belittling. It's in the workplace too. Guys routinely talking trash about each other behind each other's backs. I swear things weren't like this where and when I was growing up. Even when I worked at Evil Corp the viciousness didn't show up at this level. It's not that it was hidden, it was that the game wasn't played that way. If two guys detested each other they did something about it -- either had it out or avoided each other. They didn't create a hollywood soap opera that has no resolution and no end. Maybe my environment was some kind of bubble but I don't think so. In my experience things weren't like this even 10-15 years ago. All I can come up with is either men are changing or else they're changing the rules. Oh No doubt part of the cause is the evolution of the internet.

In the Washington, DC bubble, there are many males but few men.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:48 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Our men act less like men these days because they are filled with soy! It is in everything...even stinking Oreo Cookies and Campbell's soups! Soy raises their estrogen levels.

Lol!

Old 10-14-2017, 09:45 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Our men act less like men these days because they are filled with soy! It is in everything...even stinking Oreo Cookies and Campbell's soups! Soy raises their estrogen levels.
They act less like "men" --John Wayne, James Bond, Humphrey Bogart--because they're free to be who they are. They're free to express themselves as they see fit, as best suits them. They have a much broader range of emotions and characteristics that they're "allowed" to express, now. Which is very healthy, btw.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:29 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Quote:
And shrinks their tackle. Could be why so many go faffing around for so long in front of a mirror too.

I'm sure though, soon all this will be seen as normal, and not as something that could reduce the population numbers.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:46 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
The conspiracy theory is that if the men in society are feminized, it's easier for big government to rule as there will be no alpha men to challenge them.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:52 AM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
This is going to sound weird but I honestly think it has something to do with birth control. Just hear me out. The hormones in the pill pass out through the urine and get flushed and most municipal water treatment doesn't really have an effective way of filtering them out, so there is still a fraction of estrogen in the tap water. I'm not sure when the pill became as popular as it is today with most women having used it at some point, but most men today have spent their lives drinking these hormones which I think can accumulate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
This too. Also endocrine disruptors in plastics and municipal water. Estrogen enhancers are literally EVERYWHERE. So much for progress.
Waste water does not become new drinking water. The waste water is released into the environments after being treated. However you are right about estrogen, estrogen enhancers and phytoestrogrens getting everywhere. They really screw up the proper hormonal balance for the male side of the species.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Young men are raised differently now. They are taught the things that used to be instilled as "manly" are bad. Being tough is incorrect, if you get hurt - cry, play with barbies, get your toenails done. They need to be in touch with their feelings, they need to relate, be more sensitive, more compassionate, more empathetic . . . .

Of course they are going to be different. They are now raised in a whole new way. This is the new and improved man that women wanted.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:58 AM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
if these various things in our environment and diets were raising male estrogen levels, wouldn't men be growing breasts and other female bodily traits?
If it was true that estrogen grew breasts or increased breast size then wouldn't we have bra sizing going up to double Z by now after 50 years of birth control pill usage in society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology