Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 09:47 PM

104 posts, read 96,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMischief View Post
Since I was a teen, I wondered if my mother was evil or crazy. A few years ago, I happened on a website about daughters of narcissistic mothers, and after much reading recognized that she was a malignant narcissist, and I was her scapegoat. I cut off the relationship a few years prior to that enlightenment for my own survival, because she was capable of doing and saying anything to make the world believe that I was the cause of all her problems, and her enjoyment in humiliating me increased over the years.

I was well into middle age before I escaped, so I have decades of knowing her better than anyone else. She could be her evil self with me in a way she couldn’t with anyone else, because she had a mask to maintain for the rest of the world, and I don’t think it ever occurred to her that I could do anything other than what she wanted me to do. I realized very young that I am not even a real person to her.

Based on my knowledge of her, I think that NPD is a personality type, not a mental disease. I never, ever saw any hint that she had low self-esteem. She genuinely believes that she is superior to other people, and she is filled with contempt for everyone else. She takes enormous pride in successfully getting people to do what she wants. She stole my identity and I did nothing – that’s how passive I was. Based on hints she’s dropped I’m pretty sure she has stolen from employers. It would never occur to her that she has done wrong by me or anyone else, because what’s good for her is the only good that counts.

I view her as a venomous creature that is best avoided by any prudent person – like a rattlesnake. I don’t know what made her this way, because as far as I know she had a very nice childhood. She is what she is.
You are definitely me.

I also agree that narcissism is a dysfunctional personality type and not a mental illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 10:03 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senmurv View Post
You are definitely me.

I also agree that narcissism is a dysfunctional personality type and not a mental illness.
Right. It's a personality disorder. Although meds can help. My brother is much more pleasant when he takes pain meds that are also used for mood stabilizers.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:48 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I think most of the techniques can be harmful to us. Too much adapting in any way to a dis-ordered person or environment creates dysfunction in ourselves.

Agreed. When my health and emotions started suffering around this person I knew it was time to change and get out.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:49 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senmurv View Post
Are you me?

Seriously though, I believe narcissists are aware of what they are, they just don't care. And they never change.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology