Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 08:40 AM

189 posts, read 172,421 times

Advertisements

For example a friend of a friend went to a bar, met a guy, went back to his house and drank what he gave her, was then claiming she was assaulted but can’t remember the whole night.
When you know there are horrible sexual predators out there, why would you go to a strangers house and also drink something he gave you, not knowing what’s in it. I would think you would have to claim some responsibility for putting yourself in harms way especially these days when there is so much evil out there.
It’s one think to be jumped when walking to your car and another thing to willing go back to a strangers house.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:43 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,285 times
Being stupid, careless, naive or whatever does not excuse the actions of the other. He still bears full responsibility.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:46 AM

I’m not saying he isn’t responsible but I still feel the woman should take some responsibility for her own safety.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:48 AM

Another example of responsibility was my coworker got drunk and fooled around with a married man in her car. The wife found out and my coworker said she was drunk and that is why it happened. Well she needs to take responsibility that she drank that much to let it happen.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:52 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
Another example of responsibility was my coworker got drunk and fooled around with a married man in her car. The wife found out and my coworker said she was drunk and that is why it happened. Well she needs to take responsibility that she drank that much to let it happen.
That's a totally different situation.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:56 AM

I know that but it’s all about being responsible for your actions and your safety.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Being stupid, careless, naive or whatever does not excuse the actions of the other. He still bears full responsibility.
And she CHOSE to put herself into that situation by going home with someone who she only just met that evening. No idea if he is a sex offender, has a rap sheet several pages long, a sociopath or narcissist.... No, it doesn't excuse his actions, but you have to be a special kind of stupid to just hand over an opportunity like that to someone.

And if she is admitting that she can't remember the entire evening, then she just might have consented to whatever sex happened. Regretting a night spent with someone doesn't mean you get to call it rape, and just because you can't remember consenting doesn't mean you didn't.

And I really can't understand why, the more and more we hear about this and similar scenarios, that our young women don't seem to be learning to avoid them.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:16 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
For example a friend of a friend went to a bar, met a guy, went back to his house and drank what he gave her, was then claiming she was assaulted but can’t remember the whole night.
When you know there are horrible sexual predators out there, why would you go to a strangers house and also drink something he gave you, not knowing what’s in it. I would think you would have to claim some responsibility for putting yourself in harms way especially these days when there is so much evil out there.
It’s one think to be jumped when walking to your car and another thing to willing go back to a strangers house.
If you assulted someone, it is your fault. Period. There are no excuses, explanations, or if, and buts you can find to not make it your fault.

The other person has responsibility for their own actions, but in no way are complicit in the assault itself.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:16 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
I believe the legal term for this is "contributory negligence." That is, the act is the fault of the perpetrator, but the victim contributed in some way to making it possible to happen.

If a woman walks down the street wearing revealing clothing, she is NOT asking to be raped -- but she shouldn't be surprised if guys stare at her. If a woman goes to a bar, meets a guy, goes back to his apartment, and drinks something that she didn't see him pour, she is also not asking to be raped -- but she's gone a long way towards making it possible for the man to rape her, if that's his intent.

So yes, in the latter example I would say that the woman bears some responsibility, for putting herself in a position of extreme vulnerability.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:21 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
And if she is admitting that she can't remember the entire evening, then she just might have consented to whatever sex happened. Regretting a night spent with someone doesn't mean you get to call it rape, and just because you can't remember consenting doesn't mean you didn't.
Plenty of women (if not most women) regret a night and don't call it rape. But at the same time, taking advantage of someone who is so impaired that she can't make informed decisions doesn't make him much of a stand-up guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology